News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remko

Quote from: Duna on November 01, 2020, 05:15:46 PM
Quote from: Remko on November 01, 2020, 05:01:27 PM
My biggest criticism on both books is the way they talk about size and weight. I truly dislike the "longer than a bus and a car combined" or "as heavy as two elephants and a killer whale". I mean, what? Are these new units of measurement?
Many (or better said, all) representations of prehistoric animals are displayed sooner or later with the figure of a human, so for me is perfectly ok to substitute or add an animal to that human. By the way, in the books the size and weight of those "animals" are standarised and explained in the first pages what exactly they represent. As well as the "human". For example, the bus is 12m and the human is a 1,8m tall man. And the killer whale is 8m and 7tons.

That's still no excuse. I would prefer just the numbers.
The explanations are nice, but unfitting.

Halichoeres

Yeah, in addition to some typesetting errors, I also noticed quite a lot of typographical/translation errors in both books. That wasn't surprising for the theropod book; the Spanish edition was published first. But for the theropod book, the English version was published first, so I assumed it had been written in English, but it doesn't seem to have been. Spanish words survive unaltered in the English edition. It doesn't impede understanding, but it was a little surprising.

I like that it makes reference to specific specimens, but I agree that it has kind of a Guinness appeal that's a little unsatisfying given that so many record-holders are very fragmentary. But there's some really good information and the art is incredible. Both books are well worth it for the pretty modest cover price, in my opinion.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

In case of Proboscipedian figure, I want an American Mastodon/Colombian Mammoth/ Woolly Mammoth immediately in future. An accurate Homotherium/Smilodon and Wooly Rhinosaurus figure from Eofauna is an utmost requirement for me at least as megafauna figures later in future.

In case of dinosaurs, any theropod from the Tyrannosaur family, especially the larger ones are of warm welcome.

Arctinus

Hi, everyone! I just joined after reading through this thread (it took me about three days  ::)). I've just recently started collecting dinosaur and overall prehistoric animal figures and I really like the Eofauna ones.

No doubt the veteran collectors (or at least most of them judging by the posts I went through) don't want to see another T-Rex, stegosaurus or a triceratops, but for me personally, and I also think for us newcomers these figures would be welcome as well.  ^-^ Of course, along with the more obscure ones and those that don't get enough attention in figure form. I believe Eofauna mentioned somewhere on their FB profile they planned on trying to do one popular animal and one less popular/obscure one, but I can't find that post for the life of me.  ??? Well, there certainly are so many combinations they could do (theropods, sauropods, ornithiscians, proboscideans, popular ones, less popular ones...).

I would also like to see a paraceratherium, too, and Eofauna said it's a possibility in the future:

They also said there's a possibility for a hadrosaur, something I'd also like to see:

As for mammals, specifically proboscideans:

Ok, I won't post any more photos, but they also said they want to focus on the three groups of dinosaurs and proboscideans and then probably also other groups, but less regularly. And I'm find with that.  :))

I've already ordered the steppe mammoth and the deinotherium (can't afford any more at the moment, so the other three will have to wait a little longer), and I like the triceratops, so I already reserved one (the Dominant colour variant) at EverythingDinosaur.  ;D By the way, the legs on the second colour variant (Cryptic) are, according to Eofauna, in fact bluish, rather than green. They said it's because of the lighting or something like that. But I still don't like that colouring because the colour on the leg end there abruptly instead of blending with the rest of the body more.  ??? But I think they released two colour variants this time to compensate for a single figure (species).

I've also noticed some disagreement with the jaw being open too wide, and I saw a post somewhere about the reasoning behind that (I'm not an expert myself), not sure if by Eofauna or someone else, but can't find that either.

All in all, since I just started collecting, I don't really care that much which figures they release next, I'm just glad I found out about Eofauna. I ordered three Safari megafauna figures before I ordered the two Eofauna ones, but if they ever do those three that I bought, they're going to be replaced.  :)) Sorry if I digress too much, I just went through 50 pages of this thread.  :P

Shonisaurus

Thanks for the info. Sincerely after seeing those statement from the Eofauna team it makes said brand one of my favorite dinosaur and other prehistoric toy animal companies. I don't care what they do, I know they will be outstanding figures.

On the other hand, they are open to the possibility of making two figures of prehistoric mammals over time or over the years, which are the largest mammals of all time, the palaeoloxodon namadicus followed in smaller size by the paraceratherium. is good news.

Arctinus

I sure hope they'll keep up with the good work and hopefully even improve it.  :))

Definitely good news, though, who knows when that'll happen. At first I was happy that they released maybe two figures per year, so I could catch up, but now I'm thinking I'd prefer maybe three figures per year because I don't think I can wait so long for the next release.  ::) But oh well, as long as less figures and longer waiting time mean more accurate, detailed and amazing figures from them. Then I can wait for another year.  ^-^

Loon

Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 02, 2020, 11:42:19 PM
It's an extant species but... fingers crossed for African forest elephant.

I would like that a lot. I wouldn't mind if they got around to the 3 extant species at some point, honestly.

Remko

Quote from: Arctinus on November 02, 2020, 09:45:55 PM

Hey! That's my comment! I truly hope for an Anancus! It's my favourite proboscidean.  8)

Carnoking

BBTS has both new trikes up for pre-order for 29.99 a piece (plus 4 dollar flat rate shipping). Estimated ship date of March next year, but that's of course subject to change with BBTS' track record. I don't know whether I'll be waiting to see if someone gets them sooner or if I'll just go ahead and add both to my pile of loot. Regardless, even if you are not planning to order from BBTS, there are some new photos to take a look at.

Dominant https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/141422

Cryptic https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/141417

Loon

I put in an order for the Cryptic version. Aside from the "Sid getting out of the mud bath" legs, it just looks so much better, honestly. I don't know why but I really can't stand the head in the "Dominant" versions (these names are so dumb, I swear). It reminds me of this for some reason...

Anyway, BBTS has a great preorder system, so if I decide I don't want it anymore or someone else gets it first, I can just cancel it. Honestly, I wish more sites operated like this.

Shonisaurus

Yes they have been quick to pre-order those bigbadtoystore figures. By the way is there news if urzeitshop or shop.modellpferdeversand.de are going to pre-order these figures. I honestly do not care about either of the two (I like the two online companies very well, especially Dan from urzeitshop) as long as their price is affordable and the shipping costs I will buy who of the two offers better sales prices and shipping costs more economical.

Sincerely, out of personal sympathy to Mike and Sue from everythingdinosaur, I would buy these figures apart that I am eternally grateful for the gift titanoboa that they gave me due to the tragic personal circumstances of the pandemic, my own economic and especially the death of my poor father and well-being but I have several reasons not to do a lot of shopping at everythingdinosaur. Their orders are sold in pounds, both the figures and the shipping costs and obviously the pound is higher than the euro in terms of value, on the other hand, due to the Bretix problem, I am afraid that they could even withhold this figure from me due to customs problems. Mike and Sue are exceptionally good people and honestly if I were British I would always buy in that store the most complete of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals that I think exists in the market in Europe and the world, it is the truth.

Getting to the heart of the matter, if in bigbadtoystore you can already pre-order these figures, that is good news. That means both triceratops will soon be sold online. I want Eofauna to have a buyer insurance for their products.

Arctinus

I'd be up for that since I also collect extant animals.  ;D

Quote from: Loon on November 03, 2020, 12:10:00 AM

I would like that a lot. I wouldn't mind if they got around to the 3 extant species at some point, honestly.

I guess there's a chance they'd do that, but we'll see. They might not do those three anytime soon, but maybe sometime in the future. I'd definitely grab all three, that's for sure.

Quote from: Remko on November 03, 2020, 09:36:32 AM
Quote from: Arctinus on November 02, 2020, 09:45:55 PM

Hey! That's my comment! I truly hope for an Anancus! It's my favourite proboscidean.  8)

Aaah, what a coincidence!  ;D

Quote from: Carnoking on November 03, 2020, 06:16:51 PM
BBTS has both new trikes up for pre-order for 29.99 a piece (plus 4 dollar flat rate shipping). Estimated ship date of March next year, but that's of course subject to change with BBTS' track record. I don't know whether I'll be waiting to see if someone gets them sooner or if I'll just go ahead and add both to my pile of loot. Regardless, even if you are not planning to order from BBTS, there are some new photos to take a look at.

Dominant https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/141422

Cryptic https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/141417

Thanks for the link to the additional pictures!  ^-^

I'm not going to quote your post, avatar_Loon @Loon , since the image is quite big on my end (forum rules, newbie here, etc.  ::)), but that pic sure is creepy. xD

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus  .  :-\
I ordered three Safari megafauna figures at EverythingDinosaur last week and they're already in Austria (I'm in Slovenia), so no customs for me and I'm expecting them this week. Plus, I've also ordered the steppe mammoth and the deinotherium, but am yet to see how those two will fare (crossing the borders, that is). I guess each EU state has different customs rules. In my country (Slovenia), I think there's some kind of tax for orders above 22 euros and up to 150 euros(shipping not included). But so far I haven't had such experience. And I usually order my book at BookDepository (located in England) that cost as much as 45 euros and have never had to pay any tax or anything, though books might be exempt from tax.  ??? Now I'm really curious if there'll be any trouble with the Eofauna figures, because then I guess I'll have to consider Urzeitshop.

Anyway, to stay on topic, now I wonder how much the trike will cost at ED, but I guess the price will be similar to the other figures.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Arctinus @Arctinus For now, I have no problems with Everythingdinosaur for now, I have to point out but due to Brexit that will be final in January next year I suppose it will be difficult to buy figures from Mike and Sue. On the other hand, the online company is perhaps one of the most competent if not the most efficient and effective in the European market but the problem is that they sell their items in pounds, the pound is worth more than the euro and although everythingdinosaur's team is authentically dearly, I am sincerely considering buying the same figures at a more affordable price and with the price of shipping costs to a minimum due to my personal economic situation that is neither worse nor better than the vast majority of citizens of Spain, Europe and the World due to the crisis of the coronavirus pandemic and the effects or rather the aftermath, left by the last economic crisis that emerged in the world from 2007-2008. In my case I must be prudent. Prudence is wise.is that emerged in the world from 2007-2008. In my case I must be prudent. Prudence is wise.

Arctinus

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , oh, my bad, I completely forgot about the Brexit transition period. Ok, so we're still good until the end of the year. Hmm, maybe I'll seriously consider Urzeitshop then. I also have nothing but excellent experience with ED (they really go out of their way to help you). I've reserved the triceratops at ED which should come out in early 2021, so I guess I'll find out about the customs then.  :)

As for the price, I paid 37.16 euros (32.04 pounds) for the deinotherium (including tracked and signed shipping), for example, and it would cost me 37.22 euros at Urzeitshop (according to their shipping rates). So, they're very similar (but haven't compared the prices of other figures). And thank you (or whoever mentioned Urzeitshop) because I wouldn't have found out about it if it hadn't been for this forum.  :D Though now I also wish there was a local retailer here that would sell Eofauna (and some other figures) instead of just Schleich animals and dinosaurs and Papo dinosaurs.

The current crisis has really affected all aspects of life and I hope it'll be over as soon as possible, though I'm afraid the economic consequences will last for quite some time. So, I agree about the prudence part.

Halichoeres

Welcome to the forum, avatar_Arctinus @Arctinus. Yours is a helpful reminder to us old timers that not everyone has sat through the release of umpteen versions of every popular dinosaur. Thanks for sharing those screenshots, their response to the hadrosaur question is the one I'm most excited about.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Arctinus

I can still imagine what that must be like. :P And I'm also really hoping for a hadrosaur soon. They're one of my favourite groups.  ^-^

Also, EverythingDinosaur just posted this - the triceratops are available for preorder and they're offering a special price for the pair (the trike's are also available for preorder separately). They should be available in late February, but more info is available in the link.  ^-^

EDIT:

- The pair will be available for £38.99 (excluding shipping)
- each one will be available separately for £19.99 (excluding shipping)
- the description on the preorder page says Available (estimated) March 1, 2021

Shonisaurus

avatar_Arctinus @Arctinus Thanks for the info. So we have, as you say, and as the link on the blog.everythingdinosaur comments, a sale date in February 2021, on the other hand the price is a bit expensive even if the shipping costs were free. I'll wait for another offer to come out from a less expensive online company.

Arctinus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 04, 2020, 01:19:41 PM
avatar_Arctinus @Arctinus Thanks for the info. So we have, as you say, and as the link on the blog.everythingdinosaur comments, a sale date in February 2021, on the other hand the price is a bit expensive even if the shipping costs were free. I'll wait for another offer to come out from a less expensive online company.

I'm not sure which price is the right one for the preorder, though, because on the preorder page it says £19.99, and in ED's Facebook post it says £16.66.  ???

Stegotyranno420

Oh boy, an eofauna figure that's only about, 17 .5 bucks! thats awesome

Loon

It's definitely a bit cheaper than the others, but that's to be expected. I'm guessing it's a little smaller than the safari Triceratops.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: