News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on October 05, 2018, 10:27:08 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on October 05, 2018, 10:06:40 PM
Has the price been posted?

If Eofauna's other models are anything to go by, probably looking around the £20 mark
I'd anticipate it being a little higher, due to the figure being larger; but I'd be happy to get proven wrong.

JohannesB

Eofauna

M @Moldovan0731 actually we have re-check the length and it is closer to 38 cm in length.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus It is soft pvc as previous models, though this one is a bit harder but still pretty flexible.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna Thanks for the info. I have already booked the Giantotosaurus of Eofauna at www.everythingdinosaur.co.uk I can not wait to have it on my shelves. You are very kind and attentive.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

There was a very well-received talk about Paleoloxodon during the first day of TetZooCon yesterday. I hope Eofauna thought to send someone to sell some models there! I know Darren Naish himself was blown away by his model.

Sim

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 04, 2018, 05:46:33 PM
Giganotosaurus seems to be the new black... or better Rex in our cause.

Hehe, yes! :))  Personally, I feel Giganotosaurus has become uninteresting like Tyrannosaurus.  To be clear so no-one misunderstands how I feel about this, I don't think there's anything wrong with Eofauna making Giganotosaurus as their first dinosaur.  I think Eofauna should make what they'd like to make.  Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean I'll like a species choice they make.

Although I'm not interested in having the Eofauna Giganotosaurus, I'm interested in seeing what it's like when mass-produced, as this will help me imagine how species I'm interested in could look if made by Eofauna.

I like how Eofauna did the reveal, first just showing a little of the figure, the next day a bit more, and the day after they fully revealed the figure.  I found it fun as it wasn't done too slowly.

mgaguilar

Quote from: Sim on October 06, 2018, 02:35:02 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 04, 2018, 05:46:33 PM
Giganotosaurus seems to be the new black... or better Rex in our cause.
I like how Eofauna did the reveal, first just showing a little of the figure, the next day a bit more, and the day after they fully revealed the figure.  I found it fun as it wasn't done too slowly.

Agreed. Beautiful marketing tactic by Eofauna. Hope more of the reveals build hype like this.
And absolutely ecstatic about guessing this one right! Even more confirmation bias re-enforcing the purchase of this figure.

Moldovan0731

avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna Well, now I don't know what to believe anymore.

Dinoreplicas

To be fair to Eofauna, you can make a really accurate model and still run into issues.

Most manufacturing methods have their variables and plastic shrinkage is very difficult to counteract predictably. Scale model manufacturers that use injection molding or resin casting have similar stuff to deal with.

Another factor is that in many cases, the lengths of dinosaurs are estimates. Large therapod fossils are often preserved with incomplete vertebral sequences, reconstructions have a speculative element and have a degree of variation.

With this in mind, I think a dinosaur model is accurate if-
It's been constructed carefully, following the known data and theories with a degree of thoroughness.
The end product is as close as possible (production constraints considered) to a scale representation of the animal.

In my opinion, Eofauna have really come up with the goods and made a Giganotosaurus which is as accurate as possible. Looks great too.
I usually prefer to make my own stuff and I'm not really a model collector but I fancy one of these for myself at some point.

Moldovan0731

Quote from: Strick67 on October 06, 2018, 05:59:53 PM
To be fair to Eofauna, you can make a really accurate model and still run into issues.

Most manufacturing methods have their variables and plastic shrinkage is very difficult to counteract predictably. Scale model manufacturers that use injection molding or resin casting have similar stuff to deal with.

Another factor is that in many cases, the lengths of dinosaurs are estimates. Large therapod fossils are often preserved with incomplete vertebral sequences, reconstructions have a speculative element and have a degree of variation.

With this in mind, I think a dinosaur model is accurate if-
It's been constructed carefully, following the known data and theories with a degree of thoroughness.
The end product is as close as possible (production constraints considered) to a scale representation of the animal.

In my opinion, Eofauna have really come up with the goods and made a Giganotosaurus which is as accurate as possible. Looks great too.
I usually prefer to make my own stuff and I'm not really a model collector but I fancy one of these for myself at some point.

I know, it's not a big deal actually, but still, I'm curious about things like this.

Erwinonychus

avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna How about the deal with that Dutch company you were talking with? I really can't wait to buy your models in a local (web)shop

Eofauna

Quote from: Erwinonychus on October 08, 2018, 05:27:00 PM
avatar_Eofauna @Eofauna How about the deal with that Dutch company you were talking with? I really can't wait to buy your models in a local (web)shop

Hi Erwinonychus,

Unfortunately, we could not reach an agreement, their interest ended up disappearing... :-\

Erwinonychus

Awh that's a shame. In that case i'll order al your models overseas at everything dinosaur as soon as your giganoto is available. Thanks for answering and keep up your awesome job!!

Reptilia

All three Eofauna models so far. I think it is safe to say that they are the best company producing prehistoric figures at the moment. I still love Papo for its style, but Eofauna does things like those animals were alive, and therefore depicted in their actual look. Pure amazingness.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on October 11, 2018, 08:43:45 PM

All three Eofauna models so far. I think it is safe to say that they are the best company producing prehistoric figures at the moment. I still love Papo for its style, but Eofauna does things like those animals were alive, and therefore depicted in their actual look. Pure amazingness.

Yup. Already my number one prehistoric company. Surpasses other 'lifelike' producers (e.g. Papo, REBOR, PNSO, Vitae) of dinosaur toys by a large margin. I have their Palaeo, will be picking up the other two as well. Preordered the Giga.

I hope Eofauna's next model is either a Paraceratherium, a Deinotherium, or a large titanosaur!

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 14, 2018, 04:24:03 AM
I hope Eofauna's next model is either a Paraceratherium, a Deinotherium, or a large titanosaur!

If they start doing smaller bodied animals, I hope they still stick to the 1:35 scale. It would be nice if we didn't have, say, a chalicothere towering over the Steppe Mammoth! I miss the days when companies weren't afraid to release small-scale models like the original Carnegie Dimetrodon and Protoceratops or the Safari Scutellosaurus as stand-alone figures.

Sauropelta

I want sauropods too, especially in 1:35 scale. Like a Giraffatitan in Giraffe colors.

Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

RobinGoodfellow

Very often I read about people asking for sauropods at 1:35 scale and I'm a bit confused..  ???
Papo Brachiosaurus is at 1:45 and, for sure, it's a huge piece of plastic.
I'm starting to assemble the Tamiya 1:35 Brachiosaurus: it's a 80cm/31 inches (more or less) figure; and it's vinyl.
A 1:35 Argentinosaurus should be a 1 mt/39 inches figure.
I can't imagine a pvc solid 1:35 Brachiosaurus/Giraffatitan available as a mass-produced figure: extremely massive and heavy to ship, expensive to be produced and, for sure, not cheap for the final buyer..
How many buyers could properly display a near 1 meter figure?
PNSO models are huge too but they're vinyl and hollow.
For mass-produced pvc sauropods 1:45/1:50 scale is the only way.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: