News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Some people will roll their eyes, and they're welcome to, but I'd like to see EoFauna's take on Tyrannosaurus rex. ;D
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

Quote from: suspsy on October 17, 2018, 08:15:03 PM
Some people will roll their eyes, and they're welcome to, but I'd like to see EoFauna's take on Tyrannosaurus rex. ;D
One thing for sure, it would be the one of the best renditions of the animal and one of the most scientifically accurate. But yeah...I would prefer something different...
Here I am hoping the will give us a Brachiosaurus that is actually a Brachiosaurus and not another Giraffatitan.

Patrx

Honestly, I'm with you on that one. Yes, there are a great many Tyrannosaurus figures, but not, well, many great ones ;)
I'd also be glad to see their take on Triceratops! EoFauna's commitment to a set scale prevents a lot of my favorite dinosaurs from making the wishlist, so I'm content in hoping for the classics.

Dobber

I for one never roll my eyes at a T-Rex model. You and I never tire of that magnificent animal.  ;)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

Quote from: Dobber on October 18, 2018, 12:12:34 AM

I for one never roll my eyes at a T-Rex model. You and I never tire of that magnificent animal.  ;)

Chris

Indeed. And you can bet your bottom dollar that an EoFauna T. rex would sell better than any of their other products. Sorry, Giga and elephants, but it's true!

JohannesB

I'm gonna divide opinion: I would not mind if their hypothetical Tyrannosaurus figure looked like the new Tyrannosaurus from Saurian (the game) :-)

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on October 18, 2018, 12:49:42 AM
Quote from: Dobber on October 18, 2018, 12:12:34 AM

Chris

Indeed. And you can bet your bottom dollar that an EoFauna T. rex would sell better than any of their other products. Sorry, Giga and elephants, but it's true!

err...I think they should do something different like....an albino T-rex.

Sim

Quote from: Patrx on October 17, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
EoFauna's commitment to a set scale prevents a lot of my favorite dinosaurs from making the wishlist, so I'm content in hoping for the classics.

avatar_Patrx @Patrx, I think it's possible that Eofauna will makes smaller animals in a larger scale.  The reason I think this is because of what Eofauna has said in their responses under this Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/EoFauna/posts/2438750066165881

From their first response under that post:
Quote[...]
This scale will be rigid also for most of theropods and ornitischians, but taking into account that we will deal with animals raging from few kilograms to up to nearly 100 tonnes in body mass, it is no possible to maintain the same scale for all, because many of them would be less than 1 gram in weight whiles other several kgs...
[...]

And from their second response under that post:
Quote[...]
You should be aware, that for example a Velociraptor of 2,5 m in length and 30 kg in body mass (not to mention much smaller dinosaurs), at 1:35 scale would be jus 7 cm in length and considerably less than 1 gram. Is technically impossible to reproduce a steel mold with accurate proportions in such a small piece, the legs, arms and so would be too thin (so then proportions would have to be distorted, which is not scientific). If we want to teach about the morph and anatomy of very small animals, then larger scale is needed, because if too small, highly value information would be missed. Apart from this, commercially will be a total miss.

I do like having figures that are to scale with each other, BUT, the way I would like it is if large animals are to scale with each other, and small animals are to scale with each other in a larger scale, and maybe an intermediate third scale for medium sized animals.  Like you Patrx, a lot of my favourite dinosaurs are on the smaller side.  I'd like to have figures of them that do justice to these animals, which isn't possible if they were made very small just so they could be in the same scale as much larger animals.

suspsy

Quote from: Archosaur on October 18, 2018, 12:53:14 AM
I'm gonna divide opinion: I would not mind if their hypothetical Tyrannosaurus figure looked like the new Tyrannosaurus from Saurian (the game) :-)

Yeah, that would indeed be quite, quite wonderful. Although if Eofauna chose to give their T. rex a little coat of filaments, I'd be just as down with that!

Patrx

Quote from: Sim on October 18, 2018, 01:47:13 AM
Quote from: Patrx on October 17, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
EoFauna's commitment to a set scale prevents a lot of my favorite dinosaurs from making the wishlist, so I'm content in hoping for the classics.

avatar_Patrx @Patrx, I think it's possible that Eofauna will makes smaller animals in a larger scale.  The reason I think this is because of what Eofauna has said in their responses under this Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/EoFauna/posts/2438750066165881

I do like having figures that are to scale with each other, BUT, the way I would like it is if large animals are to scale with each other, and small animals are to scale with each other in a larger scale, and maybe an intermediate third scale for medium sized animals.  Like you Patrx, a lot of my favourite dinosaurs are on the smaller side.  I'd like to have figures of them that do justice to these animals, which isn't possible if they were made very small just so they could be in the same scale as much larger animals.

That would be excellent! Thanks for the information :)

Fembrogon

I wouldn't mind if Eofauna introduced a larger scale for smaller species, as long as Eofauna was consistent within an established size range.
On the other hand, I'd be curious to see Eofauna tackle minifigures at some point too. Certain companies get pretty good mileage out of tiny toys (look at Safari ltd's good luck minis).
What might be a neat method is selling one genus in two scales together. Let's say Eofauna wants to do Deinonychus; they could release a 1:35 miniature (about 3in?) alongside a 1:20 regular model (about 6in?), getting the best of both worlds.

Halichoeres

I hereby vow that no matter how good the models might be, for 2019 and 2020 I will not buy a Tyrannosaurus from any company. By my count, at least 16 versions of Tyrannosaurus have been released this year. Enough already.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 19, 2018, 05:15:09 PM
I hereby vow that no matter how good the models might be, for 2019 and 2020 I will not buy a Tyrannosaurus from any company. By my count, at least 16 versions of Tyrannosaurus have been released this year. Enough already.

Hm, how about a Gorgosaurus? Personally, I've always wanted to add one of those to my collection.

Syndicate Bias

Honestly I'd rather see then tackle on Saurophaganax or Torvosaurus next.

Or Tyrannotitan pleasseeeee Tyrannotitan

Other than that every company is gonna be overdue for a Carcharodontosaurus

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 18, 2018, 06:03:07 PM
I wouldn't mind if Eofauna introduced a larger scale for smaller species, as long as Eofauna was consistent within an established size range.
On the other hand, I'd be curious to see Eofauna tackle minifigures at some point too. Certain companies get pretty good mileage out of tiny toys (look at Safari ltd's good luck minis).
What might be a neat method is selling one genus in two scales together. Let's say Eofauna wants to do Deinonychus; they could release a 1:35 miniature (about 3in?) alongside a 1:20 regular model (about 6in?), getting the best of both worlds.

I would be fully on board with that. Maybe to make a smaller one more "worth it" it could be released as a pack, either on a base or as separate but interacting figures, like the old Carnegie Deinonychus and Dilophosaurus, respectively. (Also the second version of Carnegie's Maiasaura with nest, though as a larger figure it doesn't quite fit my point.)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Patrx on October 19, 2018, 05:52:38 PM

Hm, how about a Gorgosaurus? Personally, I've always wanted to add one of those to my collection.

Sure. It's not that different, but it's a modest change of pace. I can live with that.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Great post, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres.  Personally, I've been feeling that while the number of options for dinosaur figures keeps increasing, and the quality of new figures has also been increasing, a staleness to what's offered has been increasing too.  I don't think there's anything wrong with a few good versions of a type of animal being offered, one reason being that sometimes a particular version might not suit someone.  I think it's past that point with certain types of dinosaurs though, which keep being made into good figures at the cost of different kinds of dinosaurs.  The extent of this has become off-putting.  I have no interest in another Tyrannosaurus figure.  I'm with you, enough of Tyrannosaurus.

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on October 19, 2018, 06:46:41 PM
Honestly I'd rather see then tackle on Saurophaganax or Torvosaurus next.

Or Tyrannotitan pleasseeeee Tyrannotitan

Other than that every company is gonna be overdue for a Carcharodontosaurus

S @Syndicate Bias

Torvosaurus would be something different to the usual.  All the others you mentioned are allosauroids, and Eofauna's only dinosaur so far is an allosauroid.  What about people who don't want an allosauroid, and who would like figures of other types of dinosaurs?  Eofauna has been releasing new figures very rarely and very far apart.  If their next figure is another allosauroid, how long do people who like other types of dinosaurs have to wait before there's even the possibility for something they like to be made?  Another year?  And even then, due to the huge diversity among dinosaurs (even just among theropods), many types of dinosaurs people like still won't have been made by Eofauna.

Tyrannotitan is known from very incomplete remains with most of its head missing, so it's not known what it looked like.  With all due respect, what's the point of Eofauna making it, when they're already offering its very close relative Giganotosaurus, and currently 0 other types of dinosaurs?

I think Saurophaganax has one of the largest gaps between what a lot of people think of it and what it actually is.  As far as I'm aware this is basically what's known of Saurophaganax's skeleton: https://www.deviantart.com/franz-josef73/art/Saurophaganax-2002-339842267

Gothmog the Baryonyx

This. I don't want any more T. rexes either. I would like Eofauna to do some lovely accurate ornithopods like Edmontosaurus and Shantungosaurus. Or if it is another therapod, something a little different.
That said, if they did a T. rex with some feathering, I may be interested. I have zero interested in purely scaly T. rexes.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

I think there's a decent chance that EoFauna would do a T. rex with a little bit of filaments. I'd be more concerned about it being beefy enough.

JohannesB

Quote from: suspsy on October 20, 2018, 03:13:02 AM
I think there's a decent chance that EoFauna would do a T. rex with a little bit of filaments. I'd be more concerned about it being beefy enough.

This. And no feathers.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: