News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Acrocanthosaurus from Prey Collection

Started by Syndicate Bias, May 19, 2018, 11:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cretaceous Crab

I saw that on Facebook. I like the direction but I'm wondering....what is going on with the tail?!

BlueKrono

It looks like the image is vertically distorted for me. But I'm interested.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: LeviRawl on May 20, 2018, 02:36:00 AM
I saw that on Facebook. I like the direction but I'm wondering....what is going on with the tail?!

Kinda glad I'm not the only one who feels that the tail looks weird. The hands look off too. I saw this pic on Instagram and there were some people asking about the hands, Prey  said to remember that it's just a work in progress.

paintingdinos

Still waiting on that 1/20 Spino. Was supposed to be released in March, hard to get excited about this one when there hasn't even been an update as to why the delay.

This one looks like its going to be a cool model.

Reptilia

Agree on the tail looking kinda strange, maybe it's just a distortion of the digital render. It looks another terrific model anyway, this line's theropods are super cool!

stegosauria

Maybe just the angle isn't right and the tail could be swishing from one side to the other. Plus this is just a digital sculpt.

IrritatorRaji

More pics, still don't know how I feel about this one yet...

suspsy

Yuck. Why is the head so small? And since when did Acrocanthosaurus coexist with Triceratops?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Cretaceous Crab

Now that I see other angles, I'm cool with the tail, but I agree the arms are a little enlarged. The artist has posted these images on Facebook as well, and he has been made aware that the baby trike is not historically accurate. I wager he will likely replace it with something else.

MLMjp

Acro! What they have done to you! :o

Can someone explain to me how this thing can have such over muscled anatomy and yet being skin-wrapped in the head and ribs?

postsaurischian

That's Alexander Belov's personal style. You either like it or not.
Personally I'm not a huge fan of his terrestrial Dinosaurs, but I adore the aquatic species :) .

ImADinosaurRARR

QuoteThat's Alexander Belov's personal style. You either like it or not.
Personally I'm not a huge fan of his terrestrial Dinosaurs, but I adore the aquatic species :) .

I really like his style. I don't really know why I like it. I'm usually really pedantic when it comes to scientific accuracy.

It might be because it doesn't rip from JP. At this point, I'm fatigued with the JP style. Meanwhile, Belov takes the Awesomebro concept and makes it smooth and almost horror themed. They really feel like pieces of art to me.

Mackeral

I'm a fan of his aquatic creatures, has anybody here ordered directly from him?
This scene with the baby trike disturbed me a bit. But great art concept.

IrritatorRaji

I'll admit right now that I don't know much about Acrocanthosaurus, but does this model look kinda..... fat? I know it's meant to be mucular, but all I see is a somewhat overweight dinosaur with major cankles and a really tiny head....

Quote from: MLMjp on May 23, 2018, 02:37:25 PM
Can someone explain to me how this thing can have such over muscled anatomy and yet being skin-wrapped in the head and ribs?
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 23, 2018, 03:00:18 PM
That's Alexander Belov's personal style. You either like it or not.

I'm not really a fan of his body-builder dinosaurs either. I mean, I see where he's coming from, and I'm personally a big fan of his Carnotaurus, but yeah, his stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Mini Minmi

It's not really to my liking either however like IAmADinosaurRARR said, I appreciate that it's his own interpretation and style. It looks quite original and unique.

paintingdinos

Quote from: Mackeral on May 23, 2018, 08:42:48 PM

I have. He's in Russia so orders takes a long time to arrive (if you're in the US- took over a month the first time, around a month the second). Conversation is simplistic, but he's easy to work with. Would recommend.

Halichoeres

Quote from: paintingdinos on May 24, 2018, 01:12:22 AM

I have. He's in Russia so orders takes a long time to arrive (if you're in the US- took over a month the first time, around a month the second). Conversation is simplistic, but he's easy to work with. Would recommend.

Seconded. I ordered his Parahelicoprion direct and he was prompt and as communicative as the language barrier permits.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: paintingdinos on May 24, 2018, 01:12:22 AM

Ditto. I ordered his Carnotaurus. And I am almost finished with painting it, too!

paintingdinos

Quote from: LeviRawl on May 24, 2018, 12:35:01 PM
Ditto. I ordered his Carnotaurus. And I am almost finished with painting it, too!

Looking forward to seeing this! I've gotten so far as to build and prime my little Spino... but I'm nervous to paint it. I love the model so much, I'm scared whatever design I pick isn't going to do it justice.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: