You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx its okay, i accept your sorry, i find some of your claims to be just as absurd, but im fine with it.

Also on the thing with spinosaurus, wasnt spino always underestimated. in fact, some folks thought it weighed less than a elephant. that crazy. wasnt spino built like a cetacean or a hippo(or an animal with a similar body structure/body plan), and not a goose. How do we know spino was skinny, why if you look a a whale skeleton, you'd think it'd probally be 10 tons, but its 10 times heavier than that.

Back to topic. I will say a opinion:
I love the collecta baryonyx 2019 sculpt but i hate the paint and the size. Its a little too small.

Flaffy

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 26, 2020, 07:54:42 PM
Also on the thing with spinosaurus, wasnt spino always underestimated. in fact, some folks thought it weighed less than a elephant. that crazy. wasnt spino built like a cetacean or a hippo?
There mere existence of JP3 dispels that claim. Dunno if cetaceans or hippos are the best comparison, but I guess one could compare the two with Spino's barrel shaped torso.

And I have almost never heard of anyone "overestimating" ornithopods. Lone lions don't go around provoking Giraffes.

Loon

The idea of overestimating Ornithopods is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. How many hadrosaurs have names with stupid meanings like "(insert dated pop culture reference here)", or "death viking of hades" or whatever passes for Theropod names these days? How many times have you seen a movie a where an Olorotitan takes out a plane or has such vast intelligence it can open doors?

stargatedalek

I've seen comparisons to hippopotamus in regards to Spinosaurus potentially using similar "underwater punting" behaviour. But this has been largely disputed by more recent evidence like buoyancy and isotope studies which indicate it spent most of its time floating at the surface.

I've probably compared Spinosaurus to whales before, as at least in terms of behaviour they are a better analogue than crocodiles. But there isn't much about them anatomically that is particularly similar.

There is a difference between liking something, and demanding it was the most powerful capable thing ever. You wanna know what my favorite animal is? The Atlantic Puffin. Those little black and white birds with the glow in the dark beaks. Doesn't matter if I like the puffin more, doesn't matter how overrated bald eagles are, it's not going to win a fight with a bald eagle.

I would have to say I probably like Torvosaurus more than Shantungosaurus, even if I'm not very invested in either, but that doesn't mean it's odds are any better than that puffins, if anything they might even be worse. Torvosaurus would not win a fight against Shantungosaurus.

Quote from: Bread on October 26, 2020, 07:38:55 PM2) Not a fan of Eofauna either. Yep, I said it and no regrets. I am waiting to see what else they release, but I thought their Giganotosaurus was alright.
There is another...

I have no interest in pachyderms, and little in most sauropods or Giganotosaurus, so there really just isn't anything there for me.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on October 26, 2020, 08:27:40 PM
The idea of overestimating Ornithopods is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. How many hadrosaurs have names with stupid meanings like "(insert dated pop culture reference here)", or "death viking of hades" or whatever passes for Theropod names these days? How many times have you seen a movie a where an Olorotitan takes out a plane or has such vast intelligence it can open doors?
Come to think of it, id really want to see that. Might even make an animation of it, thanks for the idea avatar_Loon @Loon

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 26, 2020, 08:47:00 PM
Come to think of it, id really want to see that. Might even make an animation of it, thanks for the idea avatar_Loon @Loon

Sorry, I already copyrighted the idea. My film, Cretaceous Recreational Area 3 (the 3 is actually made from Iguanodon thumb spike slashes) features a harrowing battle scene in which an Olorotitan takes down the long running franchise mascot, the Gryposaurus. Sure, the fans haven't stopped crying about it for years, but boy, did it do somewhat ok at the box office. So, I can't let you do this; I already have enough copyright issues with companies like "W-Cockatrice" or "Precious Asian Wood" stealing my merchandising opportunities. I've got a franchise to maintain, I've got theme park rides to reskin and say they're completely new, I've got a kids cartoon, I even have a sixth movie in the works Cretaceous Planet: Domination. I still have a bunch of loonies jumping down my throat over that #NoHooves tweet I made before filming on the 4th installment finally began.

CityRaptor

You may also check out the REVIV company. They are stealing their designs, too. And recently they have called people who critizised them HoofCommies.

Fun aside: Ornithopods are usually depicted as victims. And Sauropods more often than not fall into that category, too.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on October 26, 2020, 08:56:18 PM

Sorry, I already copyrighted the idea. My film, Cretaceous Recreational Area 3 (the 3 is actually made from Iguanodon thumb spike slashes) features a harrowing battle scene in which an Olorotitan takes down the long running franchise mascot, the Gryposaurus. Sure, the fans haven't stopped crying about it for years, but boy, did it do somewhat ok at the box office. So, I can't let you do this; I already have enough copyright issues with companies like "W-Cockatrice" or "Precious Asian Wood" stealing my merchandising opportunities. I've got a franchise to maintain, I've got theme park rides to reskin and say they're completely new, I've got a kids cartoon, I even have a sixth movie in the works Cretaceous Planet: Domination. I still have a bunch of loonies jumping down my throat over that #NoHooves tweet I made before filming on the 4th installment finally began.

Oh yeah this Belgian company called "Mamo" and this japanese company "Prebor" always rip off your depictions. Not to mention the early figures of "ThrowAwayInTheGargabeA". But i like how that company, along with "FutureFlora" and "Urban UnLtd."(with their Stanford line and their Bad Mammals line and their main line, Boring Urban line" stick to reality rather than these dpeictions.  Btw here are some random companies:

NoMojo

Paleo-and-CenoZoo

Mamnu

PUYO(Pecking Unnatural Young-Earth-Garbage Organizaton)

Just to name a few

Loon

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 26, 2020, 09:12:13 PM
You may also check out the REVIV company. They are stealing their designs, too. And recently they have called people who critizised them HoofCommies.

Oh trust me, we here at Particular Pictures are very serious about them. All they do is steal our designs, they've even gone as far as to steal from our other franchise, "Serf Song"! Strangely, they only like to make the herbivores; they get really mad on Twitter if you ask them to make carnivores. After we deal with that American company Momo, who used to make somewhat stylized figures and now only steal from us, REVIV is next. Then, it's on to that high-end statue maker, "F*ktoys". We've already given our lisence out to a fine and still very much in business high end collectible company, Concealed Collectibles, and everybody loves them, especially their paint work!

CityRaptor

Another company using CRA designs would be the Austrian in origin, but pretty much omnipresent Stampf.
Oh no

Loon

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 26, 2020, 09:26:11 PM
Another company using CRA designs would be the Austrian in origin, but pretty much omnipresent Stampf.

Ah yes, Stampf. I must respect them. Very highly quality and accurate, even though they do copy from us occasionally. Still, far better than the now Riverside, California based "Savannah Inc."

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 26, 2020, 08:43:30 PMAlright here comes my controversial opinion, it was bound to happen anyway, there are no "definitive versions" of prehistoric animal figures as palaeontology is in constant progress.
I was going to say Microraptor would beg to differ but... maybe it just doesn't matter how complete our knowledge of an animal is, people will always manage to get something wrong...

And even then there is always going to be variation in art style as there is with modern animals.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 26, 2020, 09:32:55 PM
Now that's becoming Stampfwerbung.

Well, it is still better than what Pugcountry has to offer this year.

Quote from: Loon on October 26, 2020, 09:32:16 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on October 26, 2020, 09:26:11 PM

Ah yes, Stampf. I must respect them. Very highly quality and accurate, even though they do copy from us occasionally. Still, far better than the now Riverside, California based "Savannah Inc."

Think so? Didn't they both have the Rockefeller Collection?
Oh no

Loon

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 26, 2020, 10:06:16 PM
Think so? Didn't they both have the Rockefeller Collection?

Well, so did Pugcountry originally, I believe. I don't know, you'll have to ask @MammalGuy1, he's an expert on the Rockefeller Collection.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Loon on October 26, 2020, 08:56:18 PM

this is gold and I need to imprint this into my brain forever else my sanity will completely collapse. Thank you
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Bread

Glad I am not the only one who is not a fan of Eofauna. A controversial opinion I have to add is comparing companies. I just feel like each company, although having the same goal to produce dinosaur/prehistoric figures, can not be compared due to having different outcomes of a product.

Loon

I like quite a few of Bullyland's figures. Needless to say, my Triassic display would be barren without them.

Gwangi

Bullyland was one of my favorites for a long time. Their Pteranodon sternbergi is one of my all time favorite pterosaur models.

CityRaptor

Got that one, too. Furthemore I have Paratypothorax, the second Plateosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Pachycephaosaurus, Lambeosaurus, both versions of the old Archaeopteryx and several of their small ones.
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: