News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Interesting, I've been finding the color schemes for the ceratopsian series, if anything, more appealing than those of the raptor series. That's just me of course. It might be partly because it takes more changes to adapt a lizard's color scheme to a ceratopsian body plan than what's required to adapt a bird's color scheme to a dromaeosaur's body plan, which is already pretty birdlike. So the inspiration looks less obvious, at least to my eye. I'm also familiar with fewer lizard species than bird species, which probably also helps.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 18, 2018, 12:08:12 AM
I love this chap's Raptor series and was hoping to love the Ceratopsian series as well, but whilst the sculpting is as phenomenal as ever, the paint-jobs are not clicking with me. That said I still plan to get all the non-ceratopsid ceratopsians and a choice Ceratopsid or two, possibly this Pachyrhinosaurus, I'm not sure.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. There are some figures that look to have amazing colour schemes in store, like the Styracosaurus and Einiosaurus, but others that just really feel so... underwhelming. There's the Protoceratops that looks like cartoon bacon and the Pachyrhinosaurus which, despite it's beastly sculpt, has these weird summer-y pastel melon colours and just looks really bizarre in my opinion.

I mean, you know what they say, they can't all be winners, eh?

Shonisaurus

Sincerely these ceraptosidos of the series Beasts of the Mesozoic can do very good set, even to form dioramas with their counterparts raptors.

Flaffy

Shonisaurus

The pachyrhinosaurus of Beasts of the Mesozoic is a very good figure equals in beauties to the raptors of this year.

I hope that next year release these figures soon ceraptosidos are dinosaurs that fascinate me along with the theropod dinosaurs of the Tyrannosaurus rex family.

Flaffy

Shonisaurus

It looks great the einosaurus of Beast of the Mesozoic is a great paleoartistic work. In this case as it happens as figures of other companies of articulated dinosaurs shows that a dinosaur or prehistoric animal with parts of the body articulated is not incompatible with beauty and scientific accuracy.

IrritatorRaji

"First unveiled yesterday by Infinite Earths, here another WIP shot of the 1/18th scale Einiosaurus sculpt!"

Faelrin

Okay that's definitely got to be the best Pachyrhinosaurus, if it gets on the market (I mean for an action figure, there's either his original sculpt for Hasbro, Mattel's mislabled "Sinoceratops", and hopefully eventually this one). Although I still think Doug Watson's is a really good model, and is obviously going to be much cheaper (and smaller) then this one will be, so it is good that that one is still an option for folks that need a small or non-articulated one that's accurate.

I think it might be safe to say the same goes for the other's he's doing in this line (although that Einiosaurus will surely be the first action figure of its species).

I really hope I can pledge for some of these when the kickstarter hits. Hopefully I won't need to go hog wild with Mattel's assortment next year (although there's still lots I want, mostly the species I don't have yet/are new for next year like the brachi), just to get some of these. Although if production takes nearly as long as it did for the raptor series, I should hopefully have plenty of time to add one on here and there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

IrritatorRaji

"Today we take the first look at the completed 1/18th scale Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai action figure prototype! This time around for the paintwork, I employed the talents of Karin Marie who has painted may action figures for toy companies such as McFarlane Toys and NECA. I'm really happy with how the 'Big Boss' turned out. Great work Karin!"
Via Creative Beats on Instagram

Oh...

My...

God...

Immediately this is my favourite of the bunch.

Minmiminime

"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

DragonRider02

Damn, I love that 'electric' Blue...and the colors on the head... Just gorgerous!

Something tells me that it Will be VERY hard for me to choose my favorite ceratopsian... They all are Just too beautiful!

terrorchicken

Minmiminime

The colour and patterning choice is superb. The way the electric blue just accents the head is genius. I think this is my favourite yet!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

IrritatorRaji

He uploaded some more Pachyrhinosaurus photos on Facebook

Faelrin

Yep I absolutely love how this one looks. And look at how that boss was painted. It looks so realistic. And the eyes too. I absolutely can't wait for the Styracosaurus to be done, since these have been turning out wonderful.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dinoreplicas

Been waiting for a Styraco or a trike to show up but this Pachyrhinosaurus is lovely. The sculpt looks spot on and has great presence. Also I've always been fond of interplay between warm and cool colours so this kind of design boldness really appeals to me. Definitely tempted by this one.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Interesting... the Pachyrhinosaurus colors vary considerably from what was shown in the concept art, wondering what this will mean for other color schemes. In any case all so far have been looking great, excited to see the fully finished Einiosaurus! Progress so far looks very good.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

IrritatorRaji

"Following up on yesterday's reveal of the Beasts of the Mesozoic Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai  action figure prototype, here's a look at how it compares with other actions figures from the BotM line and with many others. Enjoy!
Via Facebook

Minmiminime

Haha, awesome pictures 😹 According to his post on FB, he has a colleague called Karin Marie who painted this one, I wonder if that's why it differs a little from the original design? I hope they're able to recreate it effectively for the production version

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: