You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoxels

David is taking up ideas for species in the Tyrannosaur Line. Take a look:https://www.instagram.com/p/B66hmB-FknH/
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe Dynamoterror and Appalachiosaurus?   Not sure how it would work but maybe specimen specific Rexes like Sue and Stan?

Loon

Ravonium

I suggested Dilong.

More than anything else though, I cannot wait to see how Silva chooses to deal with the integument of the figures, and the subsequent discussions his solution/s will generate.

Loon

Quote from: Ravonium on January 05, 2020, 12:32:42 AM
More than anything else though, I cannot wait to see how Silva chooses to deal with the integument of the figures, and the subsequent discussions his solution/s will generate.

If there's one thing that excites me, it's a debate about Tyrannosaur integument...

"A large animal wouldn't require feathers because thermoregu..."

"Phylogenetically speaking it should retain some feathering, as even the largest mammals still have ha..."

Me: *jumps out window*

suspsy

I wrote two lengthy responses. As I noted in my second one, I really hope that David Silva ignores any and all bickering over integument in favour of simply doing his research and making his own decision.

QuoteIn addition to the king/queen, tyrannosaurids should consist of:

Tarbosaurus
Zhunchengtyrannus
Albertosaurus
Daspletosaurus
Gorgosaurus
Bistahieversor
Lythronax
Teratophoneus
Alioramus
Qianzhousaurus

Definitely not Nanotyrannus, as the latest research has added to the widely-held theory that it's a juvenile T. rex. Also not sure it's a good idea to include Nanuqsaurus and Dynamoterror, as they're both very, very fragmentary.

As far as tyrannosauroids go, there's so many that I don't think it's practical to try and do them all. But if some of them are to be included, then I think the best candidates would be:

Yutyrannus
Sinotyrannus
Dryptosaurus
Appalachiosaurus
Alectrosaurus
Xiongguanlong

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I'm willing to shell out for a Tyrannosaurus rex that's at the same scale as the Torosaurus and the Triceratops. Big ceratopsians need a big tyrannosaur to hunt them!

QuoteAs far as the issue of possible feathering on tyrannosaurids is concerned, I believe that you are perfectly capable of carrying out the necessary research and making a decision all on your own. This is your project, your baby, baby, your sweat and tears and toil. But if you'd care to hear my two cents anyway, I really adore this interpretation of Scotty by Beth Zaiken. Mostly bare skin, but a small bit of feathering on the back of the head and neck.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Time to go dig for my list based on contemporary species that I made a bit back. I'll copy everything here later.

Well here is what I posted on the instagram post regarding this:

I see that I am very late to posting my wants, and pretty much all of these have been requested now, here it is. Most of these were contemporaries to the species of dromaeosaurids and/or ceratopsians made: Albertosaurus (from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation and lived with Atrociraptor and Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai), Alioramus and Tarbosaurus (from the Nemegt Formation, lived with Adasaurus, and Mononykus), Appalachiosaurus, Bistahieversor (from the Kirtland Formation and lived with Pentaceratops), Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus (from the Dinosaur Park Formation and lived with Centrosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Styracosaurus, and Saurornitholestes and Dromaeosaurus and Stenonychosaurus, though there was other species of these two that lived in the Two Medicine Formation alongside Einiosaurus), Lythronax (from the Wahweap Formation and lived with Diabloceratops?), Nanuqsaurus, Qianzhousaurus, Suskityrannus (from the Moreno Hill formation and lived with Zuniceratops), Teratophoneus (from the Kaiparowits Formation and lived with Kosmoceratops, Nasutoceratops, and Utahceratops), Zhuchengtyrannus (from the Xingezhuang Formation, which Sinoceratops is also from), and of course the king itself, Tyrannosaurus in both adult and subadult forms (to have a smaller and cheaper one to go with the subadult Triceratops). If you consider making any tyrannosauroids as well (please I beg of you lol) then Dilong, Guanlong, Proceratosaurus, and of course the Yutyrannus would be excellent choices.

Here's my complete list of formations, previous species made, and potential tyrannosauroids and tyrannosaurids from before with: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6906.msg239970#msg239970

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Wow that is some gorgeous artwork. I'd love a figure done like this honestly. It would certainly be a happy medium I think, and based on the current evidence.

Though with all the different rex specimens I wonder what he would go with? Sue, Scotty, etc? Maybe a mix even?

Edit 2: So I just thought about both parties could be pleased in regards to a potential young rex and the Nanotyrannus fans. Like you all know how the Monoclonius is probably just a juvenile Centrosaurus, but is sold with the old name because of nostalgia reasons because of it being based on the Dino Riders toy, etc? Perhaps something like that could work. I am also wondering what and/or if this campaign's exclusive will be. I also totally forgot about our discussions here about coloration's, and am only now remembering them after giving this more thought, so I suppose if he starts asking about that, I'll forward some of the ideas from here over.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Assuming David is doing 2 versions of Tyrannosaurus, one adult and one "subadult".
Hoping the large adult Tyrannosaurus figure will be based of "Scotty" or "Sue", and the smaller figure being based off smaller individuals like "Stan" or "Thomas". Though if David decided to do a proper subadult like "Bucky", I wouldn't mind as well.

Dinoxels

I personally picked Appalchiosaurus, because everyone else was saying stuff like "Gorgosaurus" or "Albertosaurus", so I wanted to put something more obscure.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

suspsy

Odd how some people in that Facebook thread are requesting Allosaurus and Carnotaurus. Apparently, they don't know what a tyrannosaur is. Or they just don't bother to read properly.

Smilodon P.

Quote from: suspsy on January 05, 2020, 01:26:48 PM
Odd how some people in that Facebook thread are requesting Allosaurus and Carnotaurus. Apparently, they don't know what a tyrannosaur is. Or they just don't bother to read properly.

Don't worry! Regarding Allosaurus, most of the comments were just for fun.  8)

But this leads to another question, althought it's to early to talk about it, if he make another series with big theropods, what would be the best scale? After all many of them lived with gigantic sauropods.

(P.S.: I hoped they had requested more for a "Raptorex", so we would have another juvenile besides "Nanotyrannus".)  :(

Flaffy

Quote from: Smilodon P. on January 05, 2020, 05:00:33 PM
But this leads to another question, althought it's to early to talk about it, if he make another series with big theropods, what would be the best scale? After all many of them lived with gigantic sauropods.

I doubt he'd do a different scale for other large theropods. Since the Ceratopsians were already done in a 1/18 scale.
I would've greatly preferred 1/24 scale for the ceratopsians, both for space and price concerns. A 1/18 rex would no doubt be impressive, but it would definitely eat up a lot of shell space, along with taking a huge chunk out of your wallet. But hey, lots people are willing to support such impressive figures as seen during the ceratopsian campaign, with their $130 18" long adult Triceratops; that figure amassed the second most preorders out of the entire lineup, with Pachyrhinosaurus being first.

David has stated before that Sauropods will have a scale of their own IF he decides to make a series of them.

Also...
Congratulations to David and the BotM team for the Ceratopsian campaign passing the $500K mark!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on January 05, 2020, 02:25:15 AM
Time to go dig for my list based on contemporary species that I made a bit back. I'll copy everything here later.

Well here is what I posted on the instagram post regarding this:

I see that I am very late to posting my wants, and pretty much all of these have been requested now, here it is. Most of these were contemporaries to the species of dromaeosaurids and/or ceratopsians made: Albertosaurus (from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation and lived with Atrociraptor and Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai), Alioramus and Tarbosaurus (from the Nemegt Formation, lived with Adasaurus, and Mononykus), Appalachiosaurus, Bistahieversor (from the Kirtland Formation and lived with Pentaceratops), Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus (from the Dinosaur Park Formation and lived with Centrosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Styracosaurus, and Saurornitholestes and Dromaeosaurus and Stenonychosaurus, though there was other species of these two that lived in the Two Medicine Formation alongside Einiosaurus), Lythronax (from the Wahweap Formation and lived with Diabloceratops?), Nanuqsaurus, Qianzhousaurus, Suskityrannus (from the Moreno Hill formation and lived with Zuniceratops), Teratophoneus (from the Kaiparowits Formation and lived with Kosmoceratops, Nasutoceratops, and Utahceratops), Zhuchengtyrannus (from the Xingezhuang Formation, which Sinoceratops is also from), and of course the king itself, Tyrannosaurus in both adult and subadult forms (to have a smaller and cheaper one to go with the subadult Triceratops). If you consider making any tyrannosauroids as well (please I beg of you lol) then Dilong, Guanlong, Proceratosaurus, and of course the Yutyrannus would be excellent choices.

Here's my complete list of formations, previous species made, and potential tyrannosauroids and tyrannosaurids from before with: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6906.msg239970#msg239970

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Wow that is some gorgeous artwork. I'd love a figure done like this honestly. It would certainly be a happy medium I think, and based on the current evidence.

Though with all the different rex specimens I wonder what he would go with? Sue, Scotty, etc? Maybe a mix even?

Edit 2: So I just thought about both parties could be pleased in regards to a potential young rex and the Nanotyrannus fans. Like you all know how the Monoclonius is probably just a juvenile Centrosaurus, but is sold with the old name because of nostalgia reasons because of it being based on the Dino Riders toy, etc? Perhaps something like that could work. I am also wondering what and/or if this campaign's exclusive will be. I also totally forgot about our discussions here about coloration's, and am only now remembering them after giving this more thought, so I suppose if he starts asking about that, I'll forward some of the ideas from here over.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin You honestly leave no room to suggest iconic tyrannosaurids. I congratulate you for your extensive knowledge, it is to admire. 8)

suspsy

I can't imagine David Silva doing a different scale for the tyrannosaurs; if they're not at the same scale as the ceratopsians, there's going to be a lot of very disappointed people. Gotta have a big Tyrannosaurus rex to fight a big Triceratops or Torosaurus!

Tyto_Theropod

Not sure how to contact David as I don't have Instagram (I could always tweet him), but if he's doing smaller species I'd love to see Eotyrannus, fan of British dinosaurs that I am.  The drawback is that the remains aren't the best preserved.  I'd be just as happy to see any non-T. rex Tyrannosauroid get the exposure, though, especially the likes of Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus given the amount of Campanian/Maastrichtian North American species in my collection.  Having said all this, though, I'm honestly doubtful if I'll bet getting any Ceratopsians or Tyrannosaurs from BOTM for two reasons: money and space! :(  Despite this, I still wholeheartedly support David's idea and can really appreciate the effort that's gone into realising his vision, so I'll certainly be thinking about contributing in other ways if I can.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

stargatedalek

If anyone wants to visualize a 1:18 Tyrannosaurus, the Mattel Super Colossal is roughly 1:15 (scaled in length), so it would be slightly smaller than that.

suspsy

I've heard that David Silva posted an image on Instagram of his preliminary designs for the ceratopsians. Scribbled in one corner is a note about how the T. rex will be around 28 inches/71 cm long. LEGO Rexy from Jurassic Park: T. rex Rampage is 69 cm long, so this too should give everyone an idea of how big the BotM toy will be!

Untitled by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Faelrin

28 inches is the same length as the Mattel Mosasaurus too. It does make me wonder how it will size up with both Kenner's and Mattel's big rexes too. Probably bigger from the sound of it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: Faelrin on January 07, 2020, 10:18:51 PM
28 inches is the same length as the Mattel Mosasaurus too. It does make me wonder how it will size up with both Kenner's and Mattel's big rexes too. Probably bigger from the sound of it.

It's practically impossible to say, what with there not even being artwork (at least none that David Silva has released yet), but I have a strong feeling that the BotM T. rex will be around the same size as the original Kenner version.

I'm also dying to know what groups of extant animals will inspire the colour schemes this time.

suspsy

CB's Facebook has some images of the prototype Protoceratops locked in combat with the Velocirator.

https://www.facebook.com/113487525333128/posts/3351345994880582/?d=n

Imagine how much fun it'll be posing the tyrannosaurs in battle with the ceratopsians!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: