News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

The colour scheme for the juvenile Triceratops is up on CB's Facebook page!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

The triceratops of Beasts of the Mesozoic will be immensely larger than the styracosaurus of Sega and not exaggeration.

Blade-of-the-Moon

will there be an adult triceratops this time?

The art doesnt look very juvenile-like?

Faelrin

Wonderful looking. Kind of reminds me of the Safari Ltd one too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 05, 2019, 01:35:22 AM

Yeah, there's going to be an adult as well. You're right that this one doesn't look much like a juvenile, especially with those brow horns. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on March 05, 2019, 02:30:42 AM

Yeah, there's going to be an adult as well. You're right that this one doesn't look much like a juvenile, especially with those brow horns. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe it's just for color and indicative of the sculpt.

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 05, 2019, 03:43:27 AM

Expect the "adult" version to be what is actually Torosaurus,since they are obviously going by the idea that Torosaurus and Triceratops are the same species at different stages in life.

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on March 05, 2019, 04:46:45 AM

Expect the "adult" version to be what is actually Torosaurus,since they are obviously going by the idea that Torosaurus and Triceratops are the same species at different stages in life.

I didn't think that theory held water and was basically regarded as incorrect now?

Flaffy

No. The post by David below clearly states that Triceratops and Torosaurus will be separate in this line.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/BeastSculptKit/photos/a.125819777433236/2577947772220412/?type=3&eid=ARBjdyrR93BlHO6t1PJzXF7ROQxVx8xkxumHEAfYu0wFtkQ4L-A7JwxKLjOVAsIFkIbIpWNlaqjjlJNi&__tn__=EHH-R

John

Quote from: Flaffy on March 05, 2019, 06:00:51 AM
No. The post by David below clearly states that Triceratops and Torosaurus will be separate in this line.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/BeastSculptKit/photos/a.125819777433236/2577947772220412/?type=3&eid=ARBjdyrR93BlHO6t1PJzXF7ROQxVx8xkxumHEAfYu0wFtkQ4L-A7JwxKLjOVAsIFkIbIpWNlaqjjlJNi&__tn__=EHH-R
Then it's just a wrong label on the picture because I know for a fact that what is illustrated is most certainly not a juvenile.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 05, 2019, 05:25:17 AM

I didn't think that theory held water and was basically regarded as incorrect now?
Yes,that theory is thought of as incorrect by most.Quite rightly so in my opinion.

Flaffy

Quote from: John on March 05, 2019, 09:35:54 AM

Then it's just a wrong label on the picture because I know for a fact that what is illustrated is most certainly not a juvenile.

More subadult, maybe.

suspsy

Perhaps it's meant to represent an individual nearing the cusp of adulthood. It is also possible that this is Silva's way of giving collectors the option of owning  a smaller scale Triceratops. The full-sized adult is projected to be positively huge and painfully pricey.

Have to say too, while I'm not at all surprised to see T. horridus, I'm disappointed that T. prorsus once again gets denied a chance to shine.  :(

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: suspsy on March 05, 2019, 12:08:01 PM
Perhaps it's meant to represent an individual nearing the cusp of adulthood. It is also possible that this is Silva's way of giving collectors the option of owning  a smaller scale Triceratops. The full-sized adult is projected to be positively huge and painfully pricey.

Have to say too, while I'm not at all surprised to see T. horridus, I'm disappointed that T. prorsus once again gets denied a chance to shine.  :(

Me too, if I'm honest. However, I like your take. I'd certainly appreciate an alternative to a HUGE and pricey figure!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

suspsy

Naturally, I'm going to wait and see what the final products are like, but I would probably buy the juvenile Triceratops if it scaled well with the eventual BotM T. rex.

I suppose it's possible that T. prorsus will eventually be done as a Fans Choice or something like that.

John

Quote from: Flaffy on March 05, 2019, 11:33:38 AM

More subadult, maybe.

Then he is going by the Torosaurus=Triceratops idea after all.I guess Creative Studio changed their minds about treating Torosaurus as separate.It's not a theory I have ever found convincing,but since they will be based on specific skulls,and there are no names permanently stamped on the models themselves,it's not a big deal.

John

Quote from: suspsy on March 05, 2019, 12:08:01 PM

You may be interested to know that every Triceratops made by the Favorite Co. for every line they have ever made has been of T. prorsus.

stargatedalek

Quote from: John on March 05, 2019, 09:10:19 PM
More subadult, maybe.

Then he is going by the Torosaurus=Triceratops idea after all.I guess Creative Studio changed their minds about treating Torosaurus as separate.It's not a theory I have ever found convincing,but since they will be based on specific skulls,and there are no names permanently stamped on the models themselves,it's not a big deal.
I see no reason to suspect that. That diagram is referencing specific specimens, not hypothetical growth stages between Triceratops and Torosaurus. The line is already slated to include both an adult Triceratops and a Torosaurus.

The juvenile Triceratops is included more seemingly as an option to get Triceratops for anyone who doesn't want the extremely large adult.

suspsy

Quote from: John on March 05, 2019, 09:10:19 PM

More subadult, maybe.

AFAIK, Silva is only using that diagram as a reference for the juvenile Triceratops. I don't believe he subscribes to the Triceratops=Torosaurus claim, especially considering that it was soundly refuted years ago.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: