News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic: Ceratopsian Series - WAVE TWO SHIPPING!

Started by LeapingLaelaps, May 29, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Renecito on September 17, 2019, 06:20:29 PM
I am not really interested on this series specially because of the colours of most of them, but I am really excited about this:

That thing looks so accurate!!!  :)

Is that official?

If so, I'm already sold.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on September 17, 2019, 06:25:01 PM
Is that official?

Yep, it appears at the end of the campaign description and of the video  :)

terrorchicken

I really think he should have done this in a smaller scale, they are quite pricey and I cant see many of the later additions getting unlocked b/c of that. Also we have more options for good quality dinosaur figures now then back when the raptor campaign started: PNSO, Eofauna, the JW toys etc. So collectors are gonna be more scrapped for money than before.

Normally I would just get zuniceratops but Im honestly not crazy about it, or maybe I should just wait down the line and see what ends up in his online store and get one I really like.

Daspletotyrannus

Can someone explain add on? I'm backing the Monoclonius figure pledge and all I really want is the Protoceratops and Psittacosaurus figures. I know that those two are not unlocked yet. But let say I wanted the Triceratops too. How do I add it? Thanks in advance for the help.

Faelrin

avatar_Daspletotyrannus @Daspletotyrannus To add on a figure to your pledge you add the amount of what you are adding to what you already pledged for.

So in my case I pledged for the print which is $45, and to add on all four of the initial figures I would need to also add on $25, $50, $55, and $60 respectively, pushing the pledge total to $235. Once the campaign ends, the amount you pledge for will be charged. However, if this is anything like the last Kickstarter, you will also be able to add on more money if need be for any additional figures, or make up the difference for what can't be paid right now, when the survey is sent out (which is also how you will pick what figures you have added on to your pledge, confirm shipping address, etc).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ZoPteryx

Campaign looks like it's off to a great start, and it's not even the end of day one!  ;D

Quick question though: I know you can up your pledge, but can the funds be swapped to new items?  For example, I pledged for the Zuni, Trike, and Styraco, but what if I decide later I don't want the Trike and want to put those funds toward something else?  Do I have to change me pledge level to, say, just the Zuni and then do everything else as add-ons?

Flaffy

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 17, 2019, 08:06:01 PM
I really think he should have done this in a smaller scale, they are quite pricey and I cant see many of the later additions getting unlocked b/c of that.

While I still think that most of the stretch goals can be met, I agree that 1/18 isn't the ideal scale for this line. Especially since David went for high size estimates for all of the species.

1/24 scale would've been better for both space and cost.

Flaffy

Really glad the purple isn't as prominent as it was on the concept art.
Though the white underside is a bit too saturated, a light creamish yellow would look less jarring compared to the current colours.
The transition from the brown body to the white underside is too sudden, some blending on the border of the 2 regions would make it look more natural.

Brontozaurus

Those prices are a bit more than I was planning; then again I dropped a fair amount on the raptor kickstarter so I'm not really one to complain!  ;D

Have yet to decide how I'm pledging but I'm considering Zuni + Monoclonius and adding on extra to account for shipping/help unlock more tiers (including hopefully the Centrosaurus).
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

amargasaurus cazaui

The psittacosaurus looks alright despite the less than accurate skull size, subdued jugals and ....sort of odd paint choices.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Flaffy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 18, 2019, 11:06:54 AM
The psittacosaurus looks alright despite the less than accurate skull size, subdued jugals and ....sort of odd paint choices.

P. mongoliensis isn't known to have particularly pronounced jugals or a large skull though. avatar_amargasaurus cazaui @amargasaurus cazaui

Blade-of-the-Moon

Flaffy

New KS update: https://www.kickstarter.com/.../beasts-of-the-m.../posts/2627105

Add-on prices for the first 3 stretch goals released:

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy You beat me too it, lol.

I am a bit surprised to see that Protoceratops is over $70 though. I think this guarantee's that anything larger is going to be pushing close or over $100 (especially the Pachyrhinosaurus, and Centrosaurus, and definitely the adult Triceratops). Of course that will all depend on how much funding this campaign gets and if we get to unlock those figures.

And perhaps the most important bit for anyone to keep in mind (from the campaign page) is that these prices are discounted for the kickstarter (as an incentive to help fund it). They will likely be more expensive later on.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on September 18, 2019, 04:30:26 PM
I am a bit surprised to see that Protoceratops is over $70 though. I think this guarantee's that anything larger is going to be pushing close or over $100 (especially the Pachyrhinosaurus, and Centrosaurus, and definitely the adult Triceratops). Of course that will all depend on how much funding this campaign gets and if we get to unlock those figures.

Keep in mind the few dollars worth of shipping included within the add on price. Considering how Protoceratops is almost twice as large as the Velociraptor figure, I'm not surprised that it costs twice as much.

What I am surprised with though is the "low" price of the Psittacosaurus; considering how it's 12" long and is ~$15 cheaper than Styracosaurus, which is also 12".
The Chasmosaurus is also ~$5 cheaper than a figure of it's size, the monoclonius.

stargatedalek

Glad to see the two I wanted most were met easily. International shipping through the Kickstarter was and remains prohibitive (I saved about $30 by ordering my raptor through Minizoo later on), but I hope there is enough interest from US buyers to get the rest of them reached! Still hoping for that adult Triceratops.

Perhaps the Protoceratops is more expensive to account for percentages given the additional artists who worked on it?

LeapingLaelaps

On one hand I'm kind of worried about all the stretch goals being reached, but on the other hand... On the first day $67,014 was raised, and if that amount is raised each day for the next 28 days, that would mean the project would raise $1,876,392 in total :o

Faelrin

Good points about the shipping, as well as payment to any additional artists that have worked on them, as that would likely contribute to their prices (edit: unless the stretch goal funding goal itself covers that).

I am hoping I have the funds to add that one on when the survey is sent out, so long as it reaches the goal (which I'm not doubting at this point). I sincerely hope all of the species get funded, but I'll take what I can get too. Once the stretch goal is met for the Psittacosaurus, that would be about half of the figures I want out of this funded. Ideally I'd like to be able to get the first four, the Protoceratops, the Psittacosaurus, and the Centrosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Pentaceratops, Sinoceratops, Regaliceratops, and of course the adult Triceratops (doubtful I could afford it though). Edit: And how could I forget about the Diabloceratops too? Oops.

suspsy

Quote from: Ravonium on September 17, 2019, 06:52:03 PM
Quote from: suspsy on September 17, 2019, 06:25:01 PM
Is that official?

Yep, it appears at the end of the campaign description and of the video  :)

Then I am most definitely sold. In fact, I think I'll start setting aside money now.
:)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

postsaurischian

avatar_Lone Trike @Lone Trike: Hi Simon, I'm happy for you to read your name in the sculptors' list :) .
                       Could you tell us in which way you have been involved in the project?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: