News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What would you make in a new Dino Toy Company?

Started by Takama, August 08, 2012, 05:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Title says it all. If you can open a company, what would you make?

I would make Dinosaur figures that are insanely detailed like Papos figures except they are scentifically acurate, and cover as many species as CollectA does each year.

oh, and the scale is 1:30.

Species i would do first are

T-Rex
Stegosaurus
Allosaurus
Apatoesaurus
Brachiosaurus
Pteranodon
Mosasaurus
Plesiosaurus
Dimetrodon
Ankylosaurus
Triceratops
Styrachosaurus
Velociraptor
and Supersaurus

ZoPteryx

My dino toy company would make durable but high quality replicas using the latest scientific research.  Scale would be 1:40 whenever possible, but could range to 1:20, 10, 5, 2, & 1 if needed.  Where realistic, a tiny 1:40 scale counter part would be included with any non 1:40 figures.  Animals would be lively, lifelike, and vibrant colored.

My starting line up would be  these 15:
- Tyrannosaurus
- Utahraptor
- Therizinosaurus
- Suchomimus
- Anchiornis
- Apatosaurus
- Sauropelta
- Triceratops
- Lambeosaurus
- Elasmosaurus
- Tylosaurus
- Nyctosaurus
- Eudimorphodon
- Tiktaalik
- Thylacosmilus

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

my wishes were:

1--Platybelodon
2--Uintatherium
3--Elasmotherium
4--Toxodon
5--Arsinotherium
6--Pyrotherium
7--Synthetoceras
8--Palaeoloxodon
9--Hyplitomeryx
10--Mammuthus-Columbi
11--Anancus-prehistoric Elephant
The Return Of The Mammoth's

Balaur

I would make them 1:12 scale, so that they can be compared to others. Here's what I would make.
1. Dimetrodon
2. Megalodon
3. Megalania
4. Quetzalcoatlus
5. Balaur bondoc!!
6. Troodon
7. Pachyrhinosaurus
8. Gorgosaurus
9. Tyrannosaurus
10. Utahraptor
11. Styracosaurus
12. Sarcosuchus
13. Spinosaurus
14. Mapusaurus
15. Giganotosaurus
16. Anhanguera
17. Therizinosaurus
18. Tuopandactylus
19. Allosaurus
20. Torvosaurus
21. Argentinosaurus
22. Gigantoraptor
23. Protoceratops
24. Miragaia
25. Magyarosaurus

Gwangi

My line would probably have two different scale sizes, the larger animals would be 1/40 while the smaller ones would be of a standard size but to scale with each other. I would also release toobs of smaller species that could fit with the 1/40 line. I would include a lot of obscure dinosaurs but my business would ultimately succeed because of its high quality and accurate sculpts.  ^-^ My lineup would include...

Alvarezsaurus or any other Alvarezsaurid. I cannot believe no one has produced one yet!
Coelophysis, one of our oldest known dinosaurs that is poorly represented in toy lines.
Sinoceratops, the only horned dinosaur of its kind known from outside North America.
Einiosaurus, I love this ceratopsid with its unusual horn, I don't know of any in toy form.
Camarasaurus, a personal favorite sauropod.
Shantungosaurus, one of the largest hadrosaurs.
Hypsilophodon, Othnielosaurus or any other hypsilophodont. The little herbivores need love too.
Sauropelta, we need an armored dinosaur too and this small unusual species would fit in as one of the larger animals in my small scale line.
Tarbosaurus, A) because I only know of one figure of it and B) It is close enough to a Tyrannosaurus toy without actually being one.

tyrantqueen

Like Takama I would make them highly detailed like Papo or Carnegie. I would prefer the scale of 1/40 or near enough. And no oversized clownfeet for theropods, and NO JP rip offs :)
Species I choose...
1. Juvenile Rex (like Jane) because it would look cute, and it hasn't been done thus far.
2. Pentaceratops because of its awesome looking frill, and also cause it's my fave ceratopsian XD
3. Dimorphodon because no company has ever made one thus far (not even chinasaurs have been made of this species)
4. Torvosaurus, because I saw the DR episode "The Watering Hole" a while ago and it made me appreciate this species a little more XD.
5. Basilosaurus, it looks like it would be an interesting marine creature to have as a toy :)
6. Ouranosaurus, cause it doesn't have many good sculpts available right now (aside from the Battat) and is deserving of a good one.
7. Mamenchisasaurus, the insanely long neck would make it an awesome sauropod toy XD

QuoteI would include a lot of obscure dinosaurs but my business would ultimately succeed because of its high quality and accurate sculpts.
Tell that to Battat....

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 09, 2012, 12:47:33 AM
QuoteI would include a lot of obscure dinosaurs but my business would ultimately succeed because of its high quality and accurate sculpts.
Tell that to Battat....

Touché. But the difference between Battat and my company is that my species are obscure, Battat mostly offered well known and traditional species. Also, mine would succeed because it's in my imagination.  :D

Balaur

Like Takama I would make them highly detailed like Papo or Carnegie. I would prefer the scale of 1/40 or near enough. And no oversized clownfeet for theropods, and NO JP rip offs :)
Species I choose...
1. Juvenile Rex (like Jane) because it would look cute, and it hasn't been done thus far.
2. Pentaceratops because of its awesome looking frill, and also cause it's my fave ceratopsian XD
3. Dimorphodon because no company has ever made one thus far (not even chinasaurs have been made of this species)
4. Torvosaurus, because I saw the DR episode "The Watering Hole" a while ago and it made me appreciate this species a little more XD.
5. Basilosaurus, it looks like it would be an interesting marine creature to have as a toy :)
6. Ouranosaurus, cause it doesn't have many good sculpts available right now (aside from the Battat) and is deserving of a good one.
7. Mamenchisasaurus, the insanely long neck would make it an awesome sauropod toy XD

I agree with you on everything. I would love to get a juvenile T-Rex based off of Jane. Would it include feathers?

Takama

Year two of my companey

1:30
Dilophosaurus
Augustina
Majungasaurus
Spinophorosaurus
Arizonasaurus
Shonisaurus
Tarbosaurus
Eotyrannus
Jane
Desungagiripterix(misspelled)
Spinosaurus
Baryonx
Irritator
Suchomimus
Icthiovenator

SpInosaur pack.
Includes Baryonx
Irrtater
Suchomimus
Icthyiovenator

tyrantqueen

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on August 09, 2012, 02:28:49 AM
Species I choose...

I agree with you on everything. I would love to get a juvenile T-Rex based off of Jane. Would it include feathers?
Some kind of dino fuzz I guess, yeah :)

amargasaurus cazaui

If I were a new dino toy company the first thing I would find a way to make is a profit. Then having ensured my success, I would begin making things that worked in a market already semi saturated with other companies offerings...namely play diorama scenes built to scale for various standard toylines, as well as time periods . Ie....a sculpted water and rocks type setting with a cliff for pterosaurs, a jungle type setting, and a simple riverside or such, availible as jurassic or cretaceous settings,  availible in say a 1/40 scale and a smaller scale for the minis out there.  Then I would begin providing sets, that are made from lineages of dinosaurs. For instance, the ceratopsians...have a small set that provided a Yinlong, Psittacosaur, triceratops, Styracosaurus, and perhaps koreaceratops. For therapods, you could have Tyrannosaurus, Gigantosaurus, Spinosaurus, Velociraptor, and allosaurus.  If you purchased a setting piece, it would show on its backing the animals to collect for that piece to complete it.
  In addition I would offer a special bonus figure not availible commerically for redemption of box end or such, to go with each setting piece.
Then I would begin offering special pieces to add on for year two.The beauty of the idea is you could not only make settings for a given time period, but also a given place. So you could offer a setting piece for the dinosaurs of china, jurassic or cretaceous, or the feathered reptiles of china as a set to compliment the piece.South America, you could offer the giganotosaurus, carnotaurus, amargasaurus, saltasaurus etc.
North america, the hell creek setting......Utah, the Morrison formation setting, it goes on and on, and then you model dinosaurs that fit your pieces, and places. The net effect would create an educational, collectible, and highly playable toyworld of dinosaurs.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 09, 2012, 05:47:21 AM
If I were a new dino toy company the first thing I would find a way to make is a profit. Then having ensured my success, I would begin making things that worked in a market already semi saturated with other companies offerings...namely play diorama scenes built to scale for various standard toylines, as well as time periods . Ie....a sculpted water and rocks type setting with a cliff for pterosaurs, a jungle type setting, and a simple riverside or such, availible as jurassic or cretaceous settings,  availible in say a 1/40 scale and a smaller scale for the minis out there.  Then I would begin providing sets, that are made from lineages of dinosaurs. For instance, the ceratopsians...have a small set that provided a Yinlong, Psittacosaur, triceratops, Styracosaurus, and perhaps koreaceratops. For therapods, you could have Tyrannosaurus, Gigantosaurus, Spinosaurus, Velociraptor, and allosaurus.  If you purchased a setting piece, it would show on its backing the animals to collect for that piece to complete it.
  In addition I would offer a special bonus figure not availible commerically for redemption of box end or such, to go with each setting piece.
Then I would begin offering special pieces to add on for year two.The beauty of the idea is you could not only make settings for a given time period, but also a given place. So you could offer a setting piece for the dinosaurs of china, jurassic or cretaceous, or the feathered reptiles of china as a set to compliment the piece.South America, you could offer the giganotosaurus, carnotaurus, amargasaurus, saltasaurus etc.
North america, the hell creek setting......Utah, the Morrison formation setting, it goes on and on, and then you model dinosaurs that fit your pieces, and places. The net effect would create an educational, collectible, and highly playable toyworld of dinosaurs.

We may have our disagreements where Spinosaurus or movies are concerned but that is a fantastic idea. Something like that needs to become a reality, very thought out Amarga. I can imagine something similar to the Carnegie mountain but instead it represents the desert environment of the Gobi and you can populate it with Protoceratops, Velociraptor, Oviraptor etc. etc. maybe even in different poses and at different life stages. Wonderful stuff.

Lio99

T-rex
albertosaurus
giganotosaurus
spinosaurus
baryonyx
allosaurus
carnotaurus
megalosaurus
veloceraptor
brachiosaurus
diplodocus
apatosaurus
triceratops
styracosaurus
torosaurus
stegosaurus
kentrosaurus
pteranodon
quetzalcoatlus
tropeognathus
liopleurodon  ::)
ichthyosaurus
plesiosaurus
parasaurolophus
ankylosaurus
gastonia

Patrx

Neat ideas, Mr. cazaui! And some neat lists here from others, too.

As for myself, I've got an idea of what my ideal dinosaur/prehistoric line would be like. I'm picturing a set of models composed of the same dense plastic Papo uses (it seems to hold details very well). Each would come with a base or plinth similar to the ones seen in the Favorite desktop model line, with the genus, species, and scale printed on. Additionally, a displayable data card or easel would be included, with an infographic featuring a size chart, locale map, and other trivia – something like the layout of the Dorling Kindersley series, if anyone is familiar with those. The scale would range from 1/1 to 1/50, depending on the size of the animal, so that each figure would be of similar size, about 9-12 inches. Emphasis would be placed on accuracy and education – no tripods, no clown feet, and most, if not all of the dinosaurs would have feathers or quills, and in plausible arrangements. Poses would be natural, interesting, but not exaggerated – these are animals, not monsters designed to look "cool". The overall effect would be of a miniaturized museum of relatively inexpensive life reconstructions.
All the basic prehistoric staples would be included, like Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Smilodon, Velociraptor, and the like. Also, I'd make sure to include:
Deinonychus
Coelophysis
Spinophorosaurus
Laellynasaura
Sauroposiedon
Eoraptor
Uberabasuchus
Coahuillaceratops
Psittacosaurus
Ornitholestes
Archaeopteryx
Dakosaurus
Platecarpus (with tail fluke)
Sciurumimus
Hypsilophodon

Pachyrhinosaurus

I like the previous suggestions, but I have my own ideas for a line.

Nanotyrannus lancensus
Triceratops horridus
Troodon inequalis
Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis
Thescelosaurus neglectus
Ornithomimus velox
Struthiomimus altus
Gorgosaurus libratus
Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai
Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis
Pachyrhinosaurus perotorum
Styracosaurus albertensis
Achelousaurus horneri
Einiosaurus procurvicornis
Torosaurus latus
Diabloceratops eatoni
Centrosaurus binkmani
Centrosaurus apertus
Rubeosaurus ovatus[/i]
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Pixelboy on August 10, 2012, 05:58:31 PM
Neat ideas, Mr. cazaui! And some neat lists here from others, too.

All the basic prehistoric staples would be included, like Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Smilodon, Velociraptor, and the like. Also, I'd make sure to include:
Deinonychus
Coelophysis
Spinophorosaurus
Laellynasaura
Sauroposiedon
Eoraptor
Uberabasuchus
Coahuillaceratops
Psittacosaurus
Ornitholestes
Archaeopteryx
Dakosaurus
Platecarpus (with tail fluke)
Sciurumimus
Hypsilophodon

Amazing choice of animals, but you got on my Christmas card list for being the only one so far to offer a Psittacosaurus !!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Balaur

I'm not sue about 1/12 scale anymore. Imagine a Diplodocus model that is 130 inches long! That would be a work out just to carry it! I guess mine would be 1/30 scale. My company would be very carefully detailed like Papo, with the scientifically accurate models like raptors with primaries on the second finger, no pronated theropod or ceratopsian hands. Anyways, here is my revised list for my company.

Diplodocus
Argentinosaurus w/Mapusaurus pack in different attacking poses
Triceratops (with quills!)
Yutyrannus (of course, with feathers)
Utahraptor (my favourite dinosaur, so predictable, also with feathers)
Spinosaurus
Ouranosaurus
Quetzalcoatlus (with pycnofibers)
Gigantoraptor (with feathers)
Therizinosaurus (with feathers)
Torvosaurus
Miragaia
Tyrannosaurus Adult (with feathers)
Jane the Juvenile Tyrannosaurus (with feathers)
Pachyrhinosaurus (with quills)
Megalodon
That's all I can think of right now, I'll post more later...

tyrantqueen

I would make it a company policy for there to be no JP ripoffs (especially bald raptors)

Violating this policy results in death ;) >:D

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 19, 2012, 10:01:37 AM
I would make it a company policy for there to be no JP ripoffs (especially bald raptors)

Nah sounds too brutal, why not torture in a long course on Paleontology :P O:-)

Balaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 19, 2012, 10:01:37 AM

Lol!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: