You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A freaking snake in Burmese amber

Started by Halichoeres, July 18, 2018, 07:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

The first snake to be found in amber is from the mid-Cretaceous. It's named Xiaophis ("dawn snake" from Chinese "dawn" and Greek "snake"). Either an embryo or a freshly hatched neonate.

A CT scan of its vertebrae:

Open access (at least for me): http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/7/eaat5042.full
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Still waiting for a pterosaur or small dinosaur. Any day now. Not that this isn't pretty awesome, and significant.

Halichoeres

A pterosaur would be great because it would probably be quite different from known ones, ecologically. These amber deposits are from tropical forests, but known pterosaurs tend to be from marine or freshwater sediments.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Those amber deposits just keep on giving. In hindsight that's a lot of creatures that lost their lives to sap of all things, to end up wonderfully preserved for millions of years. I really do hope we find something like a pterosaur or even more non-avian dinosaur stuff like that one that lost its tail, because sorry for that critter, but that was one heck of a neat find.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Neosodon

Dinosaurs tend to be a bit big for getting stuck in amber. Even a snake is pretty exiting. A dinosaur egg in amber would certainly be cool though.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Gwangi

Quote from: Neosodon on July 19, 2018, 08:12:35 AM
Dinosaurs tend to be a bit big for getting stuck in amber. Even a snake is pretty exiting. A dinosaur egg in amber would certainly be cool though.

I don't think anyone is expecting a sauropod here, but a small maniraptoran? Sure. The fossil record has an extreme preservation bias against tropical places and small organisms so who knows what's out there. I'm imaging something like Epidexipteryx or Yi, maybe a hatchling. It will be found, sooner or later. Maybe it already has.

SBell

I just saw this yesterday, it's an amazing find!

ZoPteryx

Super cool!  The info on coloration from that skin patch was also very interesting, color pattern reminds me a bit of a Madagascan boa.  Shame the head of the neonate wasn't preserved though, would've been interesting to see its feeding adaptations.

One thing I just realized after reading this paper: Myanmar was located in the southern hemisphere down by India, Madagascar, and Australia during the Mid Cretaceous!  I had always just assumed it was near its present position.  That means all of the snakes, lizards, birds, insects, etc are representatives of a poorly known Gondwanan fauna!

Xiaophis = #6 in the star

Quote from: Gwangi on July 18, 2018, 08:26:11 PM
Still waiting for a pterosaur or small dinosaur. Any day now. Not that this isn't pretty awesome, and significant.
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 18, 2018, 11:07:54 PM
A pterosaur would be great because it would probably be quite different from known ones, ecologically. These amber deposits are from tropical forests, but known pterosaurs tend to be from marine or freshwater sediments.

We may not have to wait much longer...
https://twitter.com/juleslhoward/status/1020207892115357697

Ravonium

This is one of the best non-archosaurian finds in amber yet!

Quote from: Gwangi on July 19, 2018, 01:12:53 PM
I don't think anyone is expecting a sauropod here, but a small maniraptoran? Sure.

Well, if you want to get really technical here, we've already found some small maniraptorans in amber  :P , although I agree it would be cool to find a less derived dinosaur in amber.

Quote from: ZoPteryx on July 21, 2018, 07:43:23 AM
One thing I just realized after reading this paper: Myanmar was located in the southern hemisphere down by India, Madagascar, and Australia during the Mid Cretaceous!  I had always just assumed it was near its present position.  That means all of the snakes, lizards, birds, insects, etc are representatives of a poorly known Gondwanan fauna!

*snip*

Interesting. The map also seems to show that Myanmar (or at least some of it) was part of an offshore island (probably in a similar vein to Madagascar now) which, for me, adds an extra realm of interest in these deposits.

It also seems to explain some of the modern geography of Myanmar (e.g. why there are mountain ranges on the border between Myanmar and India).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.