News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

My Papo Allosaurus came today. Nearly ten years of wanting this figure, but putting it aside constantly for one thing or another, finally have come to an end. I am so glad to have this one in my collection now. Now the only question I have is if this is the older/original version or the newer version? It looks pretty similar to the old one, but maybe those more familiar can help me out here.

Regardless, it looks wonderful, and it looks great next to my Safari Ltd Carnotaurus at the moment. I can't wait to get the new Spinosaurus and have it join it (and maybe some others I'm long overdo for, such as the Dimetrodon).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Quote from: suspsy on February 25, 2019, 05:06:20 PM
Old one.

Thanks. Guess I nailed the right one for me then. I'll have to get a pic of it with the Carnotaurus for my collection thread later. It looks so good alongside it (mostly from their colorations contrasting).

Shonisaurus

The old allosaurus of Papo looks good although the third picture looks a bit pixilated from my point of view. I congratulate you, Faelrin.

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

Fembrogon

Quote from: Faelrin on February 25, 2019, 04:51:45 PM
My Papo Allosaurus came today. Nearly ten years of wanting this figure, but putting it aside constantly for one thing or another, finally have come to an end. I am so glad to have this one in my collection now.
I know where you're coming from! I recently bought Allosaurus myself; I have a long backlog of figures I've wanted for years, but never quite had the right time or money for them. Papo's style can be hit-or-miss for me, but Allosaurus is definitely a hit.

Bokisaurus

So these guys arrived ^-^
More photos in my collection thread if you want individual ones.
[
Cheers!

PhilSauria

Great pic - what a group, all struggling to stay on the rock! In the fullness of time (like, when they finally become available over here) I intend to see all of these on my shelves. We've had the 'first wave' of Safaris so I have the Camarasaurus on layby, still waiting for the rest. Looking forward to that Stegosaurus particularly.

Shonisaurus

Thank you Boki for this beautiful photo the spinosaurus and stegosaurus from Safari 2019 look surprisingly great. The pteranodon as well as the stegosaurus are very cool figures that Doug has done. Now we have to wait for the famous allosaurus that I have total certainty that will be the best figure of allosaurus in the toy market to date.

The spinosaurus is almost as big as the Safari camarasaurus.

Faelrin

avatar_AcroSauroTaurus @AcroSauroTaurus Good bit of stuff there. Love that series and that movie (actually just saw the Hidden World today), and of course the Parasaurolophus.

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Maybe this year will be the year I can catch up on other Papo releases. Maybe the Dimetrodon and Acrocanthosaurus, if not some others too. I agree some are hit and miss with me too, but of those that are not, I definitely still want.

B @Bokisaurus Congrats with getting all of those. They look excellent altogether. I'd like to get the Stegosaurus and Pteranodon at the very least, but might be a while before I can get around to them (next year with any other new releases and/or old releases to catch up on may be a good time to do it). I'm actually surprised at the size of the Pteranodon though. It is bigger then I thought it was going to be. This was a year filled with top notch releases for Safari Ltd. I wonder what they will have out next year. At this rate they have put out many of the species I have wanted to see them do so far, but no doubt there are still surprises in store that I will likely want.

Fembrogon

^These two little darlings arrived from eBay today - much more quickly than estimated!
I now have both variants of these two, so I'm thinking I'll review them for the Blog in the future.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 01, 2019, 12:57:01 AM

^These two little darlings arrived from eBay today - much more quickly than estimated!
I now have both variants of these two, so I'm thinking I'll review them for the Blog in the future.

It's a crime they haven't been reviewed. It never occurred to me because I assumed they'd been done, having been released 18 years ago.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Silvanusaurus

I kind of fell out of collecting (and being on this forum) around a year ago due to all-consuming Fine Art Masters commitments, but I've perhaps inevitably caught the bug again now, especially given a hitherto unprecedented flock of Baryonyx to catch up with. I have had to cut back a bit on the extent of my collection and did get rid of quite a lot recently, but these are my most recent purchases...

The Mojo Baryonyx is ok but the Giganotosaurus is pretty lame, I really liked the look of it in the promo images but something has been lost in translation. Also it can't stand, and I really don't like the material these are made from.

I love how disturbing the Papo Quetz is, and the Schleich Spinosaurus is so far ahead of what they've been producing in the past, there is something awkward and grizzled about it that just floats my boat.

By Jupiter, these Favorites are excellent! Finally a proper Baryonyx! I didn't originally plan on getting the Neovenator but I couldn't resist another great British dinosaur.
Speaking of which...

I actually got this TS Toys Eustreptospondylus around a year ago but I never got to share a picture on here. This was a toy that had become a bit of a holy grail for me. Yes, it's cheap, profane and heart-breakingly ugly, but given the obscurity of it and the connection to WWD, and it being another rarely represented British dinosaur, I needed this in my life. Fortunately it didn't cost much either!

PhilSauria

Great photos! Not enough people get down to the eye-level of the figure, and many dinosaurs were big animals so we should be looking up at them. If I had a dollar for every eBay listing where the seller has pointed a camera down to photograph what they're selling - who knows what you'd be getting if all you can see is the top of its head?!

Those Mojo figures are of two species that particularly interest me but these are just too cartoonish for me, and I saw Kathrin's unboxing on You Tube of these where neither of them could stand on their own. She sort of got the Gig to stand but one stern look at it would have seen it topple I'm sure.

Really like the Favorite Baryonyx (my review coming soon to the DTB), wish I'd ordered the Neo as well when I had the chance but finances were an issue at the time. Such is life.

Tyto_Theropod

avatar_Silvanusaurus @Silvanusaurus Glad to see another fun of British dinosaurs (although my collection doesn't reflect it as much because I like all of them really)! Out of interest, what don't you like about the Mojo plastic? I'm interested as I'm thinking of getting some figures of theirs, but there are some kinds of material that would definitely put me off, mostly really rubbery stuff.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on March 03, 2019, 10:32:30 PM
avatar_Silvanusaurus @Silvanusaurus Glad to see another fun of British dinosaurs (although my collection doesn't reflect it as much because I like all of them really)! Out of interest, what don't you like about the Mojo plastic? I'm interested as I'm thinking of getting some figures of theirs, but there are some kinds of material that would definitely put me off, mostly really rubbery stuff.

Actually I just noticed it's only really the Giganotosaurus that feels really unpleasant to me. It's probably just a personal thing, but it has a sort of chalky texture to the surface of it (maybe that's just the paint) while being really rigid, and gratuitously heavy, it kind of brings to mind garden ornaments rather than toys, and I would fear the child who decides to utilize one as a projectile weapon. But there is something about the weight and stiffness of this thing that I find oddly disturbing, I just don't think a toy should feel so leaden and dare I say... dead. Now I just want it taken away immediately.

Yeah, I'm reading too much into it aren't I?

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Welcome back (even though I wasn't here when you last were) lovely acquisitions, being British is one of the main reasons I like Baryonyx so much. And that Eustreptosondylus is much better than it could've been, looks better than the CollectA figure to me.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on March 03, 2019, 11:09:25 PM
Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on March 03, 2019, 10:32:30 PM

Actually I just noticed it's only really the Giganotosaurus that feels really unpleasant to me. It's probably just a personal thing, but it has a sort of chalky texture to the surface of it (maybe that's just the paint) while being really rigid, and gratuitously heavy, it kind of brings to mind garden ornaments rather than toys, and I would fear the child who decides to utilize one as a projectile weapon. But there is something about the weight and stiffness of this thing that I find oddly disturbing, I just don't think a toy should feel so leaden and dare I say... dead. Now I just want it taken away immediately.

Yeah, I'm reading too much into it aren't I?

Thanks for getting back to me! I'll have to think on that one. It probably wouldn't matter to me as I'd be modding the ones I want with Milliput. I suppose they feel more akin to resin figures, then?
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on March 04, 2019, 01:06:54 AM

Thanks for getting back to me! I'll have to think on that one. It probably wouldn't matter to me as I'd be modding the ones I want with Milliput. I suppose they feel more akin to resin figures, then?

I haven't owned much in the way of resin, but now you mention it, it does actually feel similar to something sculpted from milliput, I think it has the same kind of weight and solidity so that would probably be an ideal sculpting material to use, as opposed to a more 'plasticy' putty. It may be that most people wouldn't notice that they feel that different, I tend to be over sensitive when touching things.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: