News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ludodactylus on June 29, 2024, 09:57:48 PMI just went on ebay and searched around until I found one that wasn't outrageous with price/shipping. Then waited three weeks for the seller to ship it due to health issues (which is fine, no fault of theirs). Then my mail carrier just dropped a "sorry we missed you" notice in our mailbox for it without bothering to ring the bell (we were home and could have signed for it), necessitating a trip to the post office to pick it up. But now I've got a story to go with it.

Of course now I'm feeling an itch to complete the series...

The Kaiyodos are so addictive! And they're one of the few companies to ever really tackle a broad slice of prehistory, instead of just the Cretaceous with a sprinkling of the Jurassic.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

I've acquired the following figures I didn't have:

1. Haolonggood grey Scolosaurus.  I finally decided to get this and compare it with my yellow Haolonggood Scolosaurus and I have to conclude the grey version is better painted.  I do prefer the grey one to the yellow one, so the grey replaces the yellow in my collection!

2. Eikoh Guanlong.  It's quite well-done, and a nice size.  This replaces the BotM Guanlong in my collection.

3. Eikoh Concavenator.  It's a nice little figure, but it ended up too small for me.

4. Eikoh Nasutoceratops.  Another well-done figure that ended up too small for me.

5. Eikoh flying Quetzalcoatlus.  It's really well-done but I'm not keeping it.

6. Eikoh standing Quetzalcoatlus.  Also well-done but not for me.

7. Eikoh Ornitholestes.  It's a species I like a lot, but I wish they had feathered it more.  Unfortunately I won't keep it, but I needed to see all these Eikoh figures in person and I'm glad I have.  I will add that the Eikoh Ornitholestes is a nice size.

8. Favorite mini Pteranodon.  My quest for pterosaur figures I'm satisfied with led me to the Kaiyodo Cretaceous Collection Pteranodon longiceps and the Favorite mini model Pteranodon sternbergi.  I like their size and especially their poses!  And that they are different species.  I customised my Favorite Pteranodon, supergluing the rod it comes with into its stomach hole, then cut the rod at the level where it meets the body.  That way I have a "complete" specimen with no base.  For some reason Favorite doesn't seem to like giving pterosaurs filaments.  It was ambiguous whether the Favorite mini model has them, so I proceeded to paint it to make it look more like it has them.  I first painted its upper beak black.  For some reason Favorite had left it the same colour as the main body, but they painted the lower beak a different colour.  I then painted the underside of the hands and feet brown, to represent unfeathered areas.  And I finally painted the underside of the torso a cream colour to give it countershading and make the area where the rod was cut blend in.  I'm happy with the result! ^-^

Sim

Oh, I forgot to list some figures I acquired a few days ago!  They are:

1. Kaiyodo brown Cladoselache.  I prefer the blue version so I'm keeping that one.

2. Kaiyodo Xenacanthus.  It's excellent.  It replaces the Safari version as well as the Safari Orthacanthus and Hybodus in my collection, I'm just not feeling enthusiastic about the Safari prehistoric sharks toob anymore, especially the Xenacanthus and Orthacanthus with paired instead of single anal? fins.

3. Kaiyodo Dinotales Struthiomimus.  I like it a lot, but I found out the Kaiyodo Ornithomimus is a Struthiomimus too (S. sedens) and has better feathering, so I'm not sure I will keep the Dinotales version.  I can't tell if the Dinotales is S. altus or another S. sedens, so I'm not sure I can justify keeping both.  The Dinotales Struthiomimus is a very nice size, it's bigger than I was expecting!

SidB

My Eofauna rex has arrived and the wait is over - here she is before joining her shelf-mates:

love the Battat reminiscent use of yellow -

seams are invisible from most angles and from any aspect at a modest distance

I admire the fine level of detail/ Eofauna has certainly upped their game in this respect

SidB

Alongside two shelf-mates, the Rebor 'Kiss' and the rather neglected W-Dragon realistic rex (disregarding the shrink-wrapping on the head). Both of these two others are of a somewhat larger scale than the Eofauna's 1/35.

Halichoeres

Been a busy time, huh, Sim? The Eikoh miniatures have a few gems among them. And the Kaiyodo Xenacanthus is one of the nicest fish figures ever made.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Roselaar

My latest JW stuff haul:

JimoAi

my latest wave of items

Halichoeres

Ooh, avatar_JimoAi @JimoAi that red-tailed catfish looks good. Who makes it?

JimoAi

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 13, 2024, 10:07:42 PMOoh, avatar_JimoAi @JimoAi that red-tailed catfish looks good. Who makes it?

it's the rare Kaiyodo figure

Silvanusaurus

I have been absent from the forum for quite a few years now, never stopped collecting dinosaurs entirely but it did fall by the wayside for a while and I am now doing some catching up. My most recent order included these fine theropods (hoping I can remember how inserting images works):

The Eofauna rex is my favourite, but the PNSOs are beautiful too, I just wish they'd released the Megalosaurus after their transition to lips, the exposed teeth just look silly to me now.

SidB

If you're so inclined, there's the option of getting a paleo-artist to add lips to your Megalosaurus. It's not cheap, but it puts a finishing touch on a prized figure. I really don't see PNSO re-issuing this one with lips any time soon.

SenSx

Quote from: SidB on July 16, 2024, 04:26:10 AMIf you're so inclined, there's the option of getting a paleo-artist to add lips to your Megalosaurus. It's not cheap, but it puts a finishing touch on a prized figure. I really don't see PNSO re-issuing this one with lips any time soon.

Yes I have mine with lips now, with a bunch of others.
I shall show them soon to you.

SidB

Quote from: SenSx on July 16, 2024, 07:11:27 AM
Quote from: SidB on July 16, 2024, 04:26:10 AMIf you're so inclined, there's the option of getting a paleo-artist to add lips to your Megalosaurus. It's not cheap, but it puts a finishing touch on a prized figure. I really don't see PNSO re-issuing this one with lips any time soon.

Yes I have mine with lips now, with a bunch of others.
I shall show them soon to you.
I look forward to that!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I recently managed to luck out and get one of the Universal Studios Triceratops Encounter figures :

I found out just last night it was sculpted by none other than Joe Laudati! A mix of the Jurassic Park design and Hall Train's Triceratops it's a great souvenir of a lost attraction.

I would be interested in getting a small Triceratops Encounter sign made/3D printed if anyone wants to do one?

Pachyrhinosaurus

Congrats! Interesting how a few of them have been coming out of the woodwork on eBay lately.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Great luck on that one! I also love that little Rhamph chilling on your stereo. Neat place for it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SenSx

Here a sneak peak at my new acquisitions.

Some figures that got lips added thanks to the great talent of dinosaur_models_artworks.

Sorry for the poor quality pices, I'll try to make better ones later.

I decided to keep the original color for most of them, as I enjoyed it alwready and it was more affordable.
Only had the Yutyrannus repainted because he deserved it.

Not only the lips were added but the eyes were also repainted, they look much more natural now, especially for the Giganotosaurus and the Saurophaganax.
My Saurophaganax could not fully close its mouth before, so I had dinosaur_models_artworks fix that for me.
If yours is having the same issue, it can be improved.

Just look at the beauty of the Torvosaurus with lips  ;D (and his Safari Baryonyx friend next to him that went to the dentist and got better teeth paint, from me this time).

I'll have even more surprise to show you soon !

thomasw100

This array of lipped theropods looks truly amazing, but this must have costed a fortune.

Silvanusaurus

I thought about trying to do it myself but I just don't think I could match the fine detail the PNSO sculpts have. I probably can't afford to pay someone to do it right now, but can I ask quite how "not cheap" it is, for future reference?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: