News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

Quote from: Gwangi on August 19, 2018, 12:51:37 AM
The fossil is a slice of bone, likely from a dinosaur but chances are it was never identified or even identifiable. Small disassociated bone fragments and chunks are quite common, I have a few myself. They mostly come from the western United States, this one appears to be from Utah. They're just kinda scattered along the landscape and are often sold at gift shops and such.
Thanks for the info! I felt completely in the dark.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on August 19, 2018, 12:51:37 AM
Quote from: Fembrogon on August 16, 2018, 11:08:55 PM
Some relatives of mine picked this up at a garage sale for $5 - it's supposed to be an authentic fossil, but I'm having the hardest time making out what it is.

The pewter figure on top is a Velociraptor, so I assume there are Velociraptor fragments in the slab underneath. Is anyone familar with Fossilmania?

The fossil is a slice of bone, likely from a dinosaur but chances are it was never identified or even identifiable. Small disassociated bone fragments and chunks are quite common, I have a few myself. They mostly come from the western United States, this one appears to be from Utah. They're just kinda scattered along the landscape and are often sold at gift shops and such.
Just following up on what Gwangi said, mostly but for added depth....the slice was indeed likely from a dinosaur and likely identified as precisely that...but as Gwangi stated fragments are common, and are often found cluttering the surface of the Morrison formation area. When you walk these areas and see the pieces the old timers refer to that as "float" bone because it has come to the surface and is not associated with any likely set of remains or particular animal.
   It appears to be typical highly silicate bone from the Morrison so you can make some inferences based on what you have. First, since its highly silicate or full of sand that has become almost like glass, when you tap it with a spoon it will ring ....since its likely Morrison formation silicate bone, you then have a time period and general area to work with...Jurassic , Western US and not likely to be raptor given time and place. The most common bones found in the Morrison are hands down larger sauropods .......
   Finally, you can look at the piece and tell it has a large nearly perfect flat surface, meaning someone cut this from a larger piece using a saw....called slabbing. It means they knew they were cutting a bone and did so to make this. Sometimes when you slice bone it is rather generic , lacks color or patterning and is not of a kind highly desired for jewelery so rock shops do creative things like glue little pewter raptors to it for gift shops and.......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

mgaguilar

New haul from Dave's Dinosaur Farm.
They were much lower on stock this week. I don't know how so many dinosaurs could have been bought within a week's time.
Had to ask ladies at the desk to search the underground cavern for the Giga, but was able to ultimately grab him!

ITdactyl

Starting to think my Collecta quetz is a knockoff... the colors aren't as vibrant as yours.

Theropodavid

I did not post in this thread since April, so here is what I collected in the past few months:

I forgot about these two guys:

Jose S.M.

avatar_mgaguilar @mgaguilar nice figures, I have been postponing the Giga, I love everything but the coloration. If the PNSO is too expensive I would get the Safari one.

avatar_Theropodavid @Theropodavid that's a lot of books! Congrats. And some really nice figures too.

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji Congrats on the Spino, looks very impressive.

Libraraptor

avatar_Theropodavid @Theropodavid
Whoa that's a lot of reading stuff!
And that painted Invicta T.rex on the base is custom made, right?

mgaguilar

Quote from: Theropodavid on August 19, 2018, 10:04:46 AM
I forgot about these two guys:

avatar_Theropodavid @Theropodavid Where did you get that remolded Papo Allo? I love the coloration and pose.

Theropodavid

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor Yeah, I have enough to read for years now :))
The Invicta Tyrannosaurus seems to be customized, I bought it on a flea market.
I already asked in the Identification thread.

avatar_mgaguilar @mgaguilar The Allosaurus (labeled as Saurophaganax) was available in the shop of "Aquarium Wilhelmshaven".
There were like 7 different color schemes, I could not resist to buy the one I liked the most. It was made in China.

PhilSauria

Yeah that Allosaurus had Ali Express written all over it!

Fembrogon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 19, 2018, 02:57:20 AM
*detailed, highly informative post I should bookmark for reference*
Thanks a lot for that input, amargasaurus! I admittedly know little of actual fossils, for all that I know & love about dinosaurs. I'll have to try the spoon at some point.  :))

...So, this arrived today, well ahead of expected delivery:

^I found a seller offering these Dinotales on eBay, and together they cost me a little under $50, S&H included. The mammoth in the middle was even a surprise bonus!

IrritatorRaji

Ooh, very nice little haul! What's that theropod to the far right, if don't mind me asking?

Fembrogon

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 21, 2018, 10:43:58 PM

Ooh, very nice little haul! What's that theropod to the far right, if don't mind me asking?
It's a variant of the Allosaurus. I belive this one was supposed to be limited edition, so I was surprised to see it.

ZoPteryx

Haven't shared many recent acquisitions, but here is the latest haul.

Bunch of new Safari (Vaquita looking sadly appropriate in this lineup  :'(), a couple Schleich, a CollectA, and two great books!  Most of these Safari's are courtesy of the Museum of the Rockies gift shop, which has nearly all the new ones in stock!

Shonisaurus

Beautiful choice of prehistoric animals ZoPteryx I congratulate you on your new acquisitions. I have to emphasize that they look better in person than in photography.

Jose S.M.

Great haul avatar_ZoPteryx @ZoPteryx! Nice to know some museum shops sell stuff like that, I've read lots of them sell "chinasaur" like toys instead of the reputable brands now.

Nimravus

@ Fembrogon, nice haul, the mammoth looks amazing, and the other elephantid is a Palaeloxodon, isn`t it?

And here some new acquisitions. I bought some Schleichs this weekend (black jaguar and the sloth bear), and received a nice haul from EverythingDinosaur with some additional Beasts of the Mesozoic, the Saurornitholestes langstoni and the Balaur Bondoc.

The one at the top is the Albertosaurus  X-Plus I bought on Ebay a while ago. I am thinking of sending it to Mr. Garrat to re-paint it and add a base as it does not stand alone without support.   :(

More photos in my thread.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Nimravus on August 22, 2018, 07:55:48 PM
The one at the top is the Albertosaurus  X-Plus I bought on Ebay a while ago. I am thinking of sending it to Mr. Garrat to re-paint it and add a base as it does not stand alone without support. 

..it's funny; I did a bid on Ebay about that X-Plus (despite I already have one) because I like its coloration.. ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: