News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: Jose S.M. on September 27, 2018, 01:04:34 PM
I think that the last sculpts (or at least Stegosaurus) are not from Doug, their style is more like the sculptor of the Diplodocus and Malawisaurus.

All ten new pieces are mine, the T rex repaint is not mine.

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on September 27, 2018, 01:51:14 PM

The spinosaurus is definitely better than that of Schleich or Procon CollectA (in my opinion, anyway) with a more refined sculpt and naturalistic color scheme. The swimming pose will make it hard to display but it's nice to see Safari/Doug's take on it.

It sits flat on all four hands and feet with the tail off of the ground (on the original anyways the production tail may sag since it is rubber after all)

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 27, 2018, 02:28:28 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on September 27, 2018, 01:04:34 PM
I think that the last sculpts (or at least Stegosaurus) are not from Doug, their style is more like the sculptor of the Diplodocus and Malawisaurus.

All ten new pieces are mine, the T rex repaint is not mine.

Amazing! You must have been very busy indeed!

So it's just ten for 2019, eh? I'm sad that there's only one prehistoric mammal, but I guess we got spoiled this year!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Then Doug the Safari 2019 spinosaurus can stand up without problems, that's good news. I also really like the spinosaurus in swim version.

On the other hand, I did not know that Safari's ten 2019 dinosaur figures are all yours. Especially I like very much in these last revelations the pteranodon and the allosaurus are by far the best figures of those two prehistoric animals that exist in the toy market nowadays.

It is a pity that this year there was only one revelation of prehistoric mammals (I like prehistoric mammals, extinct animals and dinosaurs alike). I congratulate you are the best sculptor of figures of prehistoric animals that exists today all your figures are awesome and masterpieces in the paleoart of prehistoric toy animals.

With the eleven dinosaurs of Safari 2019 it shows that you and Safari surpass each other year after year. I am very happy that they have been reissued, improved and updated figures of dinosaurs discontinued from the Carnegie company.

Sincerely Doug if someday you are sent to do the estemmenosuchus or the paraceratherium let me know because they will be great.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Looks like the only one that doesn't interest me is the repainted T. rex. All 10 of thew ones are great. I am a tiny bit dissapointed that only 2 of the 10 are from less popular creatures, but I suppose it Safari needs to make up for 2018 when only 3 of the 12 are really well-known, so it all evens out. Can't wait to add thes to my collection. A standing Pteranodon is a lovely little surprise.
I'm also glad there's no more than 10 as I was planning on ordering all of these, and a couple of older ones, together in a big parcel once they're available in the UK.
Also thanks to Doug himself for sculpting all these, your work is spectacular.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

y09urt

Love all the new figures!  Another amazing year for both Safari LTD and Doug!

Just out of curiosity though, all of the prehistoric figures still say COMING SOON for me, even though I've been up since 3am mashing the refresh button on the Camarasaurus. Did I miss something somehow?

MLMjp

Doug Watson sculpted all the new figures? I bet that it was a very hard and stressful work to sculpt basically the entire prehistoric lineup for this year instead of just sculpting half of it. Thats really impressive.

And I hate to be be that guy but I think some figures look more"refined" that the others....But that's understandable when having to sculpt 10 figures before a deadline.

Ravonium

Wow, that Pteranodon is the highlight of the lineup! I like the oystercatcher-inspired colour scheme, and the walking pose is a nice touch as well.

As for the others, the Stegosaurus is definitely the best PVC representation of its genus, and the others are also good, but they aren't exceptionally impressive.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Ravonium on September 27, 2018, 03:39:42 PM
Wow, that Pteranodon is the highlight of the lineup! I like the oystercatcher-inspired colour scheme, and the walking pose is a nice touch as well.

As for the others, the Stegosaurus is definitely the best PVC representation of its genus, and the others are also good, but they aren't exceptionally impressive.

From my honest point of view are the best PVC figures to date the pteranodon, styracosaurus, allosaurus, camarasaurus and coelodonta antiquitatis.

The other figures such as prestosuchus and citipati do not name them because they are almost new and their finish is gorgeus.

As for the spinosaurus and stegosaurus figures very nice and masterpieces of the paleoart of the toy are from my humble way of understanding the figures that I like the least independently that surpass all their homologous figures of Carnegie / Safari.

Doug has done an outstanding job I sincerely congratulate him and for me it has been a year as good or even superior to the previous one. We have Safari for an eternity with Doug Watson one of the best paleoartists of dinosaur figures and prehistoric animals nowadays and corroborated by the best dinosaur collecting magazines like Prehistoric Times as the best sculptor of the year repeatedly.

What I said is an honor to have him in the forum.

Sim

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 27, 2018, 03:16:13 PM
[...]I am a tiny bit dissapointed that only 2 of the 10 are from less popular creatures, but I suppose it Safari needs to make up for 2018 when only 3 of the 12 are really well-known, so it all evens out.[...]

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx, there were actually 13 figures in the 2018 line-up.  If you consider only two of 2019's as representing less popular animals, which I agree with, I think 4 of the 13 2018 figures would be more well-known/popular: Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, Dimetrodon, Amargasaurus.

Quote from: y09urt on September 27, 2018, 03:28:48 PM
[...]
Just out of curiosity though, all of the prehistoric figures still say COMING SOON for me, even though I've been up since 3am mashing the refresh button on the Camarasaurus. Did I miss something somehow?

avatar_y09urt @y09urt, on Safari's website, the woolly rhino appears to be in stock.  I get the impression the other just aren't available yet.  At the start of Safari's new blog post, they talk about how some new figures aren't available yet: https://www.safariltd.com/blog/2019-collection-reveal

Quote from: MLMjp on September 27, 2018, 03:37:38 PM
Doug Watson sculpted all the new figures? I bet that it was a very hard and stressful work to sculpt basically the entire prehistoric lineup for this year instead of just sculpting half of it. Thats really impressive.

And I hate to be be that guy but I think some figures look more"refined" that the others....But that's understandable when having to sculpt 10 figures before a deadline.

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp, Doug sculpted 10 of the prehistoric Wild Safari figures for 2018 as well.  Only 3 of the 2018 figures were by another sculptor: the Amargasaurus, Malawisaurus and Anzu.  For 2017, Doug did 8 of the prehistoric WS figures, while 5 were by another sculptor.

Doug Watson

Quote from: MLMjp on September 27, 2018, 12:46:51 PM
PD: Hey! Look at that Pteranodon, it would be perfect if it wasn't for the straight beak, Pteranodons had their beaks slightly curved upwards. Probably going to pass on this one, I don't really think that I need a Pteranodon in my non-in-scale collection.

Not according to my research and this is my second go round with Pteranodon longiceps, I did the life size models for the Canadian Museum Nature under the supervision of their scientists. My beak is based on the holotype skull that according to Mark Witton on his blog it is "the only Pteranodon specimen with can be objectively referred to the genus". It has a straight beak and is complete with intact upper and lower jaws. As far as I know the upward swept representation of Pteranodon beaks is based on material attributed to Geosternbergia (formerly Pteranodon sternbergi)
I stand to be corrected if you can provide reference to an actual specimen rather than an artist's interpretation.

Jose S.M.

I just saw Safari's Instagram stories with pictures of the figures and I got to say that I loved Stegosaurus in those photos and Allo looks pretty great too.

Patrx

Okay! Some cool stuff here. My thoughts:

Allosaurus: Fantastic! I'm glad we'll finally have a version of this dinosaur that doesn't show any shrink-wrapping, and the extra oral tissue is great as well. I also like the colors.

Stegosaurus: Yes, what a welcome update! Sophie really changed the game as goes Stegosaurus reconstructions, and this one doesn't miss a beat, although I feel like the thagomizer might benefit from being angled downward a bit. I like the designs on the plates.

Pteranodon: A beauty! It's been ages since I've actually wanted to buy a pterosaur model on-sight. Love the pose, integument and colors. Interesting to hear about why the beak isn't curved upward–it could be easily modified for those who prefer the Geosternbergia-type look.

Spinosaurus: This is a nice surprise, might well replace my swimming CollectA version. I suppose the temptation to give these animals croc-like integument just can't be avoided, though I'd have preferred something else. Unlike the new Schleich, this one has webbed feet, which I like. Also, the swimming pose really is the way to go with Spinosaurus; there are still just too many mysteries regarding its posture on land.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on September 27, 2018, 04:00:44 PM
Doug sculpted 10 of the prehistoric Wild Safari figures for 2018 as well.  Only 3 of the 2018 figures were by another sculptor: the Amargasaurus, Malawisaurus and Anzu.  For 2017, Doug did 8 of the prehistoric WS figures, while 5 were by another sculptor.

I only did 8 of the figures in 2017 (unless I am missing something, I'm getting old  :() Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, Regaliceratops, Dimetrodon, Megacerops, Uintatherium, Daeodon, American Mastodon. You are correct I did do 8 of them in 2017.

Sim

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, I thought for 2018 you did the Macrauchenia and Hyaenodon as well?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on September 27, 2018, 04:46:41 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, I thought for 2018 you did the Macrauchenia and Hyaenodon as well?

No that wasn't me.  :)

Flaffy

Now that all the figures have been revealed...
I agree with MLMjp that some figures look more "refined" than others.

The Spinosaurus's sail details aren't doing it for me, they look so uniform. If I were to choose between the Schleich or the Safari spino by sculpt alone, I'd go for the Schleich one as the sail shape looks much more attractive, and the overall details are better executed in my opinion. But credit must be given when credit is due, Safari's spino has a much better head sculpt, and a gorgeous colours.

The Pteranodon is easily one of the best Pterano figures out there, and miles ahead of Safari's previous effort. Very attractive colours as well. Handsome little fella.

Still not feeling the Stegosaurus. Would've preferred it with harder details and scales, this interpretation of stegosaurus looks oddly smooth.
Not a fan of the paint job either, it looks really dull. A far cry from the vibrant Styracosaurus and Allosaurus. What happened to the colour scheme shown on the catalog? While I'm not too keen on dull browns and yellows for stegosaurus, the catalog sample looks much much better than the final product.

And finally the Allosaurus. It's a perfectly fine Allosaurus figure yes, but the sculpt is just so bland. :-\  Like the stegosaurus it could've really benefited from harder details, more defined scales and variation in scalation. Not sure about making the eyes the same colour as the crests, a yellow/golden eye would've been neat.
The pattern and colours are definitely the highlight of this figure. LOVE the classic green body and red crest.

Don't know how scientifically accurate this is, but I personally would've loved to see keratin structures above the eye of the allosaurus:

Also shame about the claws needing to be blunted for "child safety". Would've liked it if it had longer claws tbh. Long pointy claws would've served this Allo well.

Overall they are good figures, but they don't really peak my interest all that much. Maybe because of the uniform scales and soft detailing. Was much more impressed with the 6 previous reveals than the current 4. I'm looking forward to picking up the Prestosuchus and maybe the Pteranodon. The rest are passes, or in the list of "I'll pick it up one day if I see it in stores, but not if I have to specifically track it down online".

tyrantqueen

The pteranodon is really good, but the others are a pass for me.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 27, 2018, 04:50:01 PM
Quote from: Sim on September 27, 2018, 04:46:41 PM

No that wasn't me.  :)

Oh, sorry for the mistake and thanks for letting me know, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson.  I don't know why I thought you made them, I must have remembered something incorrectly.  There's one other figure I had thought you made, but for some time now I've been thinking I might be remembering wrong, so I'd like to ask you about it.  Did you make the Wild Safari Postosuchus?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on September 27, 2018, 05:26:09 PM
Did you make the Wild Safari Postosuchus?

No that wasn't me either.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Patrx on September 27, 2018, 04:30:16 PM
Okay! Some cool stuff here. My thoughts:

Hey there, just wondering where were you able to copy those larger format images you just posted on the first page?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: