News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 27, 2018, 05:32:34 PM
Quote from: Sim on September 27, 2018, 05:26:09 PM
Did you make the Wild Safari Postosuchus?

No that wasn't me either.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Quote from: ITdactyl on September 27, 2018, 04:35:33 AM
[...]
I am torn with the stegosaurus.  It is beautiful.  It's what I've been waiting for.  It's a very up-to-date sculpt (Sophie!).  Yet (and this is just a very personal preference) I was hoping for more gnarly, exaggerated armor, scales, etc.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm tired of smooth stegosaurs.  A lot of armored animals have a bumps, scutes, etc. surrounding the bigger spines, scales and plates.  In toy (and art) depictions of stegosaurs, it's always with the plates and thagomizers errupting from relatively smooth (of course still scaly) skin.  I am aware that aside from the plates, thagomizers and throat "armor", we don't have any fossilized proof yet of other rough bits on a stegosaur hide - but to me it just makes sense.

'Guess I'm getting 2 stegosaurs for 2019. ;D ;D ;D  'Still very happy.
[...]

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl, there are impressions of the integument known from stegosaurs.  As far as I'm aware, these are known from Gigantspinosaurus, Hesperosaurus and an unpublished specimen of "cf. Stegosaurus".

The skin impression of Gigantspinosaurus shows very small scales with a rough surface.  They can be seen here, and it's interesting how in the summary above it's mentioned how the rough surface of the scales could help with camouflage: http://www.xinglida.net/news003.htm

The impressions from Hesperosaurus are from the skin and the plate.  The integument of the plate is quite smooth and is interpreted as a keratinous covering.  The skin impression of Hesperosaurus shows very small scales, but unlike those of Gigantspinosaurus, the scales of Hesperosaurus appear to not have such a rough surface.  The integument impressions of Hesperosaurus can be seen here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/226416413_Exceptional_stegosaur_integument_impressions_from_the_Upper_Jurassic_Morrison_Formation_of_Wyoming

I don't know what the "cf. Stegosaurus" impressions are like.

So maybe there were both rougher-looking stegosaurs (e.g. Gigantspinosaurus) and smoother-looking stegosaurs (e.g. Hesperosaurus)?  I'm not sure exactly how their integument would look when shrunk down into a smaller representation of the animal though, the detail of their integument is already very small.  In particular, considering how the integument of Hesperosaurus already looks quite smooth, I'd imagine it would look even smoother when on a much smaller representation of the animal.  It seems to me it would look a lot like... the integument of the 2019 Safari Stegosaurus.  Besides the larger throat armour osteoderms, the new Safari Stegosaurus is intricately detailed with very small scales, as can be seen in the two close-up photos on the Safari website here: https://store.safariltd.com/collections/whats-new/products/stegosaurus

I'm amazed it was possible to create those tiny scales on the Stegosaurus!  I wonder if such small detail pushed up the Stegosaurus's price?  I'm just glad the Stegosaurus is not as huge as I was worried it could be when I saw the price last night and its size wasn't known.  avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, could you say what you based the integument of the 2019 Safari Stegosaurus on?

Concavenator

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson In total,could you say what species out of all the 2019 Wild Safari Prehistoric releases have you sculpted please?

terrorchicken

I like the allo, the spino is neat but I prefer the Favorites for a swimming spino figure. The stego... I find its very horizontal posture a bit odd but I didn't know about this recent find it was based on. I dont see this new throat armor that everyone is talking about? I just see the usual  plates and spikes. The ptero is fantastic, he'll make a nice pair with my Bullyland walking ptero(though I think the Bullyland one is a different species?)

btw really disappointed we are only getting one prehistoric mammal. I hope its not because they have sold poorly and they have given up on them.  :'(

Shadowknight1

My only disappointment with the Allosaurus is the blunted claws.  I know why Safari blunts them, but still.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Jose S.M.

I was thinking that the Safari Gryposaurus has very tiny scales, really tiny, maybe the Stegosaurs ones look like those in hand and it's the paintjob that makes them difficult to notice. Also the angle of some photos makes the Stego look even more horizontal than it is. I didn't really knew Sophie changed the pose of Stegosaurus like that, only knew about the length of the neck. I guess I was educated by  Doug sculpts and Safari's educational toys!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Faelrin on September 27, 2018, 10:22:19 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on September 27, 2018, 09:36:55 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 27, 2018, 09:00:48 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on September 27, 2018, 07:36:12 PM
I don't want to sound cheap but is the $24.99 price for the Stegosaurs the right one? I got to say that I don't get why is priced like that if the Camarasaurus is a lot bigger and it costs less. Carnotaurus and Allosaurus are a bit bigger too and less expensive

That does seem a little weird. I guess it's possible that the pain job makes it more expensive to produce, but my guess is that it's a mistake.

Oops, I must have missed that part. Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully, it is a mistake.
I'm assuming the Stegosaurus is a larger piece, similar to the Amarga and Diplo.

It isn't. I listed the sizes of all the figures in my earlier post. It's 8 1/2 inches long, and 4 inches tall. I'm really hoping this price is a mistake, since even the Camarasaurus is bigger yet still cheaper.

Vidusaurus

Did anyone else notice, on Safari's Instagram story, when they displayed the 2019 prehistoric line-up that Prestosuchus and Coelodonta weren't included with the other eight (nine if you include the Rex repaint)? They've been left off a couple of other product lists too IIRC, is something nefarious going on there or are they just keen to promote their new dinosaurs (and Pteranodon, which looks perfect by the way)?

John

It would be interesting to see Doug Watson's original clay sculptures the molds were made from for these newest models,especially the Styracosaurus.So far,even the production sample on Safari's site shows warpage in it's frill spikes.I know how to solve this issue with PVC figures,but I would still like to see the original sculpt to get a better idea how it truly looks.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I came here to comment on how nice the Spino and Stego were and how the latter looks to be the definitive version BUT THEN OH GOD I SAW THAT ALLOSAURUS UUUUNNNGHHH I NEED IT!
What an absolutely beautiful model! That sleek form! Those striking colors! Doug Watson you are a master paleoartist. Thank you for making me fall in love with my favorite dinosaur all over again!

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 27, 2018, 02:22:30 PM
Just when I thought I wouldn't be getting a prehistoric from Safari for 2019 they pull out that Pteranodon!

This is going to be a great year for fish from them though, that pelagic fish toob in particular is going to be very welcome.

Pelagic Fish Toob??!?!? I've been saying they need one of those for the last couple years! I'm definitely purchasing, it's just what my scale sealife displays need! Although I'm a little disappointed by the over-representation of sharks in it. I would've preferred to see at least one of them swapped out for, say, a dolphin fish or something like that.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 28, 2018, 04:22:18 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 27, 2018, 02:22:30 PM
Just when I thought I wouldn't be getting a prehistoric from Safari for 2019 they pull out that Pteranodon!

This is going to be a great year for fish from them though, that pelagic fish toob in particular is going to be very welcome.

Pelagic Fish Toob??!?!? I've been saying they need one of those for the last couple years! I'm definitely purchasing, it's just what my scale sealife displays need! Although I'm a little disappointed by the over-representation of sharks in it. I would've preferred to see at least one of them swapped out for, say, a dolphin fish or something like that.

Those sardines look edible.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Faelrin on September 27, 2018, 06:39:11 PM
Edit: avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Would you be able to tell us the scales of these new sculpts? Assuming you haven't already and I missed it.

Woolly Rhinoceros/Coelodonta: 1:30
Citipati: 1:13
Styracosaurus: 1:25
Camarasaurus: 1:40
Prestosuchus: 1:20
Allosaurus: 1:35
Spinosaurus: 1:35
Stegosaurus: 1:35
Pteranodon: 1:22
Carnotaurus: 1:30

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on September 28, 2018, 12:09:45 AM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson In total,could you say what species out of all the 2019 Wild Safari Prehistoric releases have you sculpted please?

All ten unless some other pieces have been revealed that I don't know about.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on September 27, 2018, 11:19:49 PM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, could you say what you based the integument of the 2019 Safari Stegosaurus on?

I know I based it on some reference I found but it has been so long I will have to go back and check to see what it was. I have sculpted almost a years worth of new pieces since then so my memory gets a bit foggy.
Also the overall piece is based on Sophie I know some people have questioned that so I thought I would clear that up as well. I'll get back to you on the integument.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 27, 2018, 09:58:47 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on September 27, 2018, 02:28:28 PM

All ten new pieces are mine, the T rex repaint is not mine.

That's a lot of sculpting! It's like you're almost singlehandedly re-constituting the Carnegie line (augmented by welcome additions like Prestosuchus).

and I also did the WW Grizzly, WW Chimpanzee, WS Mandrill and WS Clouded Leopard. Keeps me off the streets.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Brocc21 on September 27, 2018, 10:07:05 PM
Camarosaurus: And saving the best for bionicle. I really like this dude.

"Camarosaurus" now is that some form of extinct Chevrolet  :D

Believe me I am not making fun of you I make enough typos for both of us but as a car guy I found that one particularly amusing.

Doug Watson

Quote from: John on September 28, 2018, 03:58:54 AM
It would be interesting to see Doug Watson's original clay sculptures the molds were made from for these newest models,especially the Styracosaurus.So far,even the production sample on Safari's site shows warpage in it's frill spikes.I know how to solve this issue with PVC figures,but I would still like to see the original sculpt to get a better idea how it truly looks.

I'll be adding shots of those to my collection thread down the road when I get a chance.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson The spinosaurus in centimeters, how much does it measure? and is the stegosaurus the same size as triceratops and ankylosaurus or at least as bulky?

This year Doug has had an arduous job, since you have done practically all of Safari 2019 dinosaurs with the exception of Tyrannosaurus Safari 2019.

amargasaurus cazaui

Have to say the species chosen this year fit my collection well....a gorgeous Cittipatti to display with my egg, and a superb allosaurus to go along with my Allosaurus Sacral material...thanks Doug!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Andreioli

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, according to the Safari Ltd webpage:

https://store.safariltd.com/collections/whats-new/products/spinosaurus

The size in cm for the new Spinosaurus is 36 cm in lenght and ~10 cm in height (there's an error on the page there).

So I think that all the cvadruped Spinosaur figures (Collecta, Safari and Schleich) will display quite nice together ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: