News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Hopes & Dreams

Started by ZoPteryx, August 18, 2012, 05:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juju1305

I'm so ÜBER excited about this new concavenator. I love it already :)

And glad the 2013 figures thread is up, can't wait to see what the manufacturers will come up with.

tyrantqueen

The Concavenator looks...uhhh...interesting. I see mostly a mish-mash of recycled body parts from previous Carnegies :/

Come on Carnegie, you can do better than this :(

Gwangi

That Concavenator certainly does look a bit familiar but I'm really diggin' it. I really like the coloration and the structure of the sail. It is leagues ahead of the CollectA model IMO.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on September 02, 2012, 11:45:55 PM
That Concavenator certainly does look a bit familiar but I'm really diggin' it. I really like the coloration and the structure of the sail. It is leagues ahead of the CollectA model IMO.
As figures go it's good but I think Carnegie are playing it safe here- this could have been a lot better :S

Definitely not in the same league as their awesome Carnotaurus and Cryolophosaurus toys.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 02, 2012, 11:49:34 PM
Definitely not in the same league as their awesome Carnotaurus and Cryolophosaurus toys.

I think it is in the same league, it is just so similar to both of them that it doesn't seem like anything special.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on September 03, 2012, 12:36:55 AM

I think it is in the same league, it is just so similar to both of them that it doesn't seem like anything special.
Sorry, I don't agree.

It's just recycled parts mostly. Carnegie got lazy :S

If I am paying for Carnegie's toys, I want to get something new, not a rehash of a previous toy.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2012, 12:51:06 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on September 03, 2012, 12:36:55 AM

Sorry, I don't agree.

It's just recycled parts mostly. Carnegie got lazy :S

If I am paying for Carnegie's toys, I want to get something new, not a rehash of a previous toy.

Recycling parts is a fairly common practice as far as toys/collectibles go. I'm all for it as long as it makes sense, anatomically--For example, it would make intuitive sense for Centrosaurines to share a similar structural design (e.g. Papo Pachyrhinosaurus and Styracosaurus are mirrored sculpts).

The similarities that exist are probably due to the artist's personal style and may have not been intentional (perhaps at the subconscious level).  I would say that the model is in the same league as the Cryolo and Carno. The Concavenator certainly expresses less psychomotor agitation in its upper limbs than its Cryolo counterpart. And the skin textures do seem more organic than the Carno.

Although familiar in essence to the Carnegie style, It is still a truly brilliant model.

tyrantqueen

QuoteAlthough familiar in essence to the Carnegie style, It is still a truly brilliant model.
Not sure how you can ascertain that from one slightly blurry photograph, but if you so say so :/

Me, I won't be paying for another slightly recoloured Giganotosaurus toy with a fin stuck to its back.

alexeratops

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D GIVE ME THAT CONCAVENATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh, ya i'm 9 and I COLLECT dinos not play with them. :) :o
like a bantha!

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2012, 01:30:00 AM
QuoteAlthough familiar in essence to the Carnegie style, It is still a truly brilliant model.
Not sure how you can ascertain that from one slightly blurry photograph, but if you so say so :/

Me, I won't be paying for another slightly recoloured Giganotosaurus toy with a fin stuck to its back.

Both Concavenator and Giganotosaurus look similar as it is. Looking at skeletal drawings for both animals it looks like Carnegie made an effort to accurately create the Concavanator and the differences between the two are addressed. They may have reused parts of the Giga but if the animal they were re-creating looks a lot like it anyway, why does it matter?

Here are skeletal drawings of the two.

ZoPteryx

What I think about the Carnegie Concavenator, probably mutual with a lot of other members. ;)

- not lime green! :))
- made the hump run down the tail unlike the Collecta model
- pretty cool looking

Dislikes:
- inconsistent scale! >:(
- too familiar pose and parts

Balaur

Maybe they aren't reusing parts, maybe it just looks similar. Anywho, Concavenator and Giganotosaurus are both carcharodontosaurids, so it explains the similar look.

CityRaptor

I think that is actually more likely. Similar animal in a similar pose. ( if you look at the pics Gwangi posted, it is basically Giganotosaurus with a shark fin anyways ).
I'm actually not sure if the retooling needed would be cheaper than making a new one.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Both Concavenator and Giganotosaurus look similar as it is. Looking at skeletal drawings for both animals it looks like Carnegie made an effort to accurately create the Concavanator and the differences between the two are addressed. They may have reused parts of the Giga but if the animal they were re-creating looks a lot like it anyway, why does it matter?
It matters because Carnegie's dinosaurs are expensive, and I don't have money to chuck around.

Also, because Carnegie only tend to release one figure a year, this feels like a disappointment.  Sorry, it just feels to me like you're only defending them because they're Carnegie ::) I was expecting a new interesting pose, but this just feels unimaginative to me.

Also, didn't Concavenator have quills and protofuzz?

Blade-of-the-Moon

It looks like some speculate it could have had quills and fuzz but what skin impressions they have don't show it. There is possible evidence of quill knobs but experts don't agree that's even what they are. Reminds me of Struthiomimus..it's possible it did have feathers but I haven't been able to find proof it did or didn't..so mine is getting feathers mostly to just try it. I assume Carnegie is erring on the side of caution , with no proof they aren't adding any.

pylraster

Concovenator... too early to tell. It might look better in person, and having never owned the Giganotosaurus, I wouldn't bother getting the Concovenator if it turns out to be good...

pylraster

Still, I think Carnegie needs to put out a new T.rex. We really haven't gotten a definitive Tyrannosaurus from any of the mainstream companies; there's Papo, but that's more of a movie monster than the real animal. And I won't even bother with the Schleichs. :D The closest thing we have to a good Tyrannosaurus is the latest Wild Safari one, but a new, bigger, and more accurate Carnegie Rex would really be sweet.

Horridus

Quote from: pylraster on September 03, 2012, 06:10:04 PM
The closest thing we have to a good Tyrannosaurus is the latest Wild Safari one
...And the Favorite?
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Horridus

Quote from: Gwangi on September 03, 2012, 03:44:38 AM

Here are skeletal drawings of the two.

They look even more alike these days (if you catch my drift) - both Scott Hartman and Paul himself have come out with revised Giganotosaurus skeletals, both of which show a shorter head.

Look at those atrophied arms and stout legs...it must have been a scavenger ;)
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Balaur

Also, It is a prototype, so I may look different in the final product.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: