News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Hopes & Dreams

Started by ZoPteryx, August 18, 2012, 05:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

I think the concav is beautiful, and I dont mind the tripod stance, but I am now officially VERY tired of that overall pose: standing still, head lifted, tilted to one side, mouth gaping. Why not try closing the moth? Putting the head down? Changing the position of the legs?

I have to say though, I was really hoping for a new carnegie trex, or another herbivore of some sort. They've only done one herbivore in the past how many years?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Seijun on September 04, 2012, 06:37:21 AM
I think the concav is beautiful, and I dont mind the tripod stance, but I am now officially VERY tired of that overall pose: standing still, head lifted, tilted to one side, mouth gaping. Why not try closing the moth? Putting the head down? Changing the position of the legs?

I have to say though, I was really hoping for a new carnegie trex, or another herbivore of some sort. They've only done one herbivore in the past how many years?

Miragaia in 2011--the Toy Figure of the Year in PT magazine. So it hasn't really been that long. Plus Brachiosaurus this year. Diplodocus in 2008. Amargasaurus in 2007 (the only original sculpt that year). A variety of feathered dinos in 2006 (which have some potentially variable diets, but Beipaosaurus for sure  ;)). Ankylosaurus in 2005 (Oviraptor too, again depending how you consider its diet).

So since 2007 (8 years) there have been 14 new dinosaurs (up to 2012, I won't count 2013 until its release). I'm also not counting the two marine animals. In that, 6 definite herbivores, plus at least a couple omnivores.  So, half of the dinosaurs released! To be honest, I was expecting 'traditional' theropods (non-feathered, big meat-eaters) to dominate the list more

BUT--they could really use some new ornithischians--ceratopsians, pachycephalosaurs and ornithopods are completely missing from that list. Hopefully they might work from those groups at some point. Or, barring that, the Wild Safari line can take them (the Edmontosaurus is brilliant and it to the detriment of every collector that does not have it).

Blade-of-the-Moon

It would be great to have an ornithomimid..and why not another hadrosaur in the Carnegie line ?  I love theropods but it would be nice to have a little more variety I think.

Seijun

Thanks for the clarification sbell. I forgot about those others (not sure how). I don't own most of them yet except for the amarga. I think my brain was concentrating on hadrosaurs when I posted! I am always wishing for more hadros, I bet Forest could make some truly breath taking ones. It is sad that a group so large, diverse, and amazing is so poorly represented in modern toy form.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

amargasaurus cazaui

My kingdom for a single well done, non wood chuck looking, well painted and sculpted Psittacosaurus, quills optional, neutral hands, with no claws on fourth digit, proper sized jugals, and perhaps even a lifelike pose.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Nobs

Tripod pose:                  Check
Wacky Scaling:              Check
Therapod:                     Check
Yellow/Green/ or Gray Base Coloring:   Check

Carnegie must be unveiling their new models for 2013!

ON the plus side, it is a new species and not ANOTHER resculpt.  That being said the resculpts are welcome, if its a vast improvement over the original, such as the Dippy, Spino, and (aside from scale) the Carno.

mmfrankford

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 04, 2012, 08:30:55 AM
My kingdom for a single well done, non wood chuck looking, well painted and sculpted Psittacosaurus, quills optional, neutral hands, with no claws on fourth digit, proper sized jugals, and perhaps even a lifelike pose.

Now your asking too much!  ;D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: pylraster on September 04, 2012, 03:55:31 AM
The Battat's been discontinued... and well it's very rare. Hehe. Well I meant something bigger than the Wild Safari one, maybe the size of the Anniversary Rex. The problem is well, yes as you've said, finding one that has symmetrical eyes. I'm just wishing for an updated sculpt :D
I am aware that the Battat Rex has been discontinued, but I still think it counts as a good Rex.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Nobs on September 04, 2012, 12:32:22 PM
Tripod pose:                  Check
Wacky Scaling:              Check
Therapod:                     Check
Yellow/Green/ or Gray Base Coloring:   Check

Carnegie must be unveiling their new models for 2013!

ON the plus side, it is a new species and not ANOTHER resculpt.  That being said the resculpts are welcome, if its a vast improvement over the original, such as the Dippy, Spino, and (aside from scale) the Carno.
I really wish Carnegie would put out more than one figure a year. Just imagine how many dinosaur fans they could make happy if they released updated sculpts of their old toys (Acrocanthosaurus, Apatosaurus, Styracosaurus, Allosaurus etc)

Ikessauro

Hey guys, nice to see the 2013 figures thread open already, but what boring news this Concavenator is!
My opinion on the new Conca is as follow:
I like the animal, offers so much potencial for a cool sculpt, but Carnegie is always afraid of the new and ruins good chances of making a really awesome model. Think, they took about 10 years to start making good looking accurate models since the start of the collection in 1988. Will we have to wait another 10 for this boring yellowish/greenish color to be left aside? Not that the models have bad paint schemes, but it's just like a lot of people said, they keep playing safe and this is getting old. Collecta manage to jump from really bad sculpts to some very good ones in 7 years of production, and from my point of view a big factor here is their boldness, they surprise us every year with strange looking species, obscure genera and now apparently, corpses and genitals. That's what I expect from a company, not the same old tripod pose with the same dull color all over again.
Carnegie better have some more releases up in their sleeves, really different stuff or 2013 will be one of those weak years;

Weaver

I'll just add in here that someday I would like to have a nice litle Stygimoloch (Carnegie could do it and be awesome), a Livyatan, more small ceratopsians, a Gragoyleosaurus (or a Gastonia), and maybe someone could try a nice Yutyrannus? Far-fetched but if they gave it a shot... that'd be amazing. <3

Horridus

I think Yutyrannus is actually quite likely. I can just see Collecta producing one as soon as next year...and if it's anything like the Deinocheirus, it might actually be quite decent. Seems like a shoo-in for the Carnegie collection at some point down the line.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Horridus

Quote from: Seijun on September 04, 2012, 06:37:21 AM
I think the concav is beautiful, and I dont mind the tripod stance, but I am now officially VERY tired of that overall pose: standing still, head lifted, tilted to one side, mouth gaping. Why not try closing the mouth? Putting the head down? Changing the position of the legs?
Good point. Even children will buy figures with their mouths closed, and these aren't meant to be aimed at the "OMG BADASS DINOSAUR!!!1!" market anyway. That's Papo's market ;)
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Seijun

Something else I just thought of: Isn't it in Carnegie's best interest to vary the poses of their dinosaurs? As adult collectors we will still buy this concav even though it is yet another copycat pose of the previous giga, carno, and cryolo, (because despite those flaws it is still the best toy of a concav to be had) but I thought the Carnegie line's primary intended market was children. I can see a child (or parent) looking at this and thinking "I am not going to get this, because I already got one that looks just like it".

Dan

Quote from: Seijun on September 04, 2012, 07:19:02 PM
I can see a child (or parent) looking at this and thinking "I am not going to get this, because I already got one that looks just like it".

Children can actually grow quite attached to familiar things, and mass production has capitalized on this in a huge way. Just think of all the massively successful toy lines, like Barbie or Troll dolls, which are all essentially the same form. It's interesting that each Carnegie is sculpted from scratch, trying to show variation within the confines of certain conventions, such as the gaping theropod jaws.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 04, 2012, 03:26:21 PM
Hey guys, nice to see the 2013 figures thread open already, but what boring news this Concavenator is!
I like the animal, offers so much potencial for a cool sculpt, but Carnegie is always afraid of the new and ruins good chances of making a really awesome model. Think, they took about 10 years to start making good looking accurate models since the start of the collection in 1988. Will we have to wait another 10 for this boring yellowish/greenish color to be left aside? Not that the models have bad paint schemes, but it's just like a lot of people said, they keep playing safe and this is getting old. Collecta manage to jump from really bad sculpts to some very good ones in 7 years of production, and from my point of view a big factor here is their boldness, they surprise us every year with strange looking species, obscure genera and now apparently, corpses and genitals. That's what I expect from a company, not the same old tripod pose with the same dull color all over again.
Carnegie better have some more releases up in their sleeves, really different stuff or 2013 will be one of those weak years;
I agree with your points. Carnegie have so much potential within the toy collector market but they sadly have not realised this yet.

QuoteGood point. Even children will buy figures with their mouths closed, and these aren't meant to be aimed at the "OMG BADASS DINOSAUR!!!1!" market anyway. That's Papo's market ;)
If that's how you feel about Papo's toys, then why do you always buy them? :-\

John

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 04, 2012, 03:26:21 PM
I'll have to disagree with you,Concavenator is just about as strange and obscure as you can get.
CollectA may have made one first,but it's not even close to being in the same league as the new Carnegie Museum one.
But you are overall right about CollectA improving though,the Amargasaurus that they came out with this year to me rivals the best of any line out there.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Weaver on September 04, 2012, 05:17:08 PM
...a Livyatan...

Livyatan--that looks like a killer Sperm Whale! The teeth!! Oh my!! :o

Also, the word, 'Livyatan'--is that derived from 'Leviathan'?

tanystropheus

CollectAs are getting quite good.  However, does anyone else notice that several CollectA theropods are in a dire need of a facelift (they have this characteristic 'droopy'-elongated face), including but not limited to, Rajasaurus, T-rex w/prey, Mapusaurus (they also seem to have corresponding weak lower jaws devoid of essential supporting musculature)?  Moreover, this droopy-elongated "look" can be found in their other models as well, notably, the Torosaurus (it would have been a great model if the face was not so stretched out) and the Hatzegopteryx and the Miragaia, mildly.

The CollectA 2012 deluxe Triceratops also has an elongated face, although quite excusable due to stylistic and aesthetic consideration (e.g. the overall angular design of the model).

I expect great things from CollectA in 2013--- I hope they don't get lazy! :P :)

CityRaptor

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 05, 2012, 06:15:35 AM
Quote from: Weaver on September 04, 2012, 05:17:08 PM
...a Livyatan...

Livyatan--that looks like a killer Sperm Whale! The teeth!! Oh my!! :o

Also, the word, 'Livyatan'--is that derived from 'Leviathan'?

Yes, it is. They originally wanted to name it Leviathan. But that name was already taken by some Mastodon, so they used the Hebrew spelling.  You know, that this could have been an awesome name for some marine reptile instead. I would have named the whale Mobydickia...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: