News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Hopes & Dreams

Started by ZoPteryx, August 18, 2012, 05:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horridus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 04, 2012, 08:01:50 PM
QuoteGood point. Even children will buy figures with their mouths closed, and these aren't meant to be aimed at the "OMG BADASS DINOSAUR!!!1!" market anyway. That's Papo's market ;)
If that's how you feel about Papo's toys, then why do you always buy them? :-\
You should note the winky face.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Balaur

My revised list -
(Not including carnegie as we already know)
Toobs -
Pterosaur Toob
Mesozoic Mammals Toob

CollectA -
Yutyrannus
Sciurumimus
Ichthyovenator
Megalodon
Brygmophyseter
Balaur bondoc ;)
Unenlagia
Protoceratops
Diplocynodon
Acamptonectes
Albertonectes
Cryonectes
Aegisuchus
Cuspicecephalus

Papo -
Carnotaurus
Saltasaurus
Dimetrodon

Mojo -
Apatosaurus

Bullyland -
Eustreptospondylus
Dacentrurus

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 04, 2012, 08:30:55 AM
My kingdom for a single well done, non wood chuck looking, well painted and sculpted Psittacosaurus, quills optional, neutral hands, with no claws on fourth digit, proper sized jugals, and perhaps even a lifelike pose.

The carnegie psittacosaurus is almost perfect.  The whole no claw on fourth digit can be easily fixed with two drops of paint. 

Looking closely at the photo of this Concavinator again.  I really don't think parts were recycled from any other models to make it.    Yes the head is similar to the giga (the real heads were so naturally it should be!) but its def not identical. 

Does carnegie have a history of doing that ever for different species?  I know they have to update the same animal like parasaurolophus or oviraptor but i don't think they have ever re-used parts to make a different animal.  Doesn't mean they won't but its something to take into consideration.

amargasaurus cazaui

The specimen I have mounted in my living room somewhat disagrees, at least in regards to general cranial shape, and more specifiically the Carnegie model seems to portray very subdued jugals. Even given those minor issues, I am unsure how anyone can defend the paint scheme used.I think its how they did the eyes and face that make the dinosaur look like an oversized tree squirrel or something.

Take a moment to look at Copper's custom he did, and it shows somewhat the issues with the paint on the factory version in compare. I just wish someone would attempt a more realistic paint pattern I guess.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 06, 2012, 09:29:21 PM
The specimen I have mounted in my living room somewhat disagrees, at least in regards to general cranial shape, and more specifiically the Carnegie model seems to portray very subdued jugals. Even given those minor issues, I am unsure how anyone can defend the paint scheme used.I think its how they did the eyes and face that make the dinosaur look like an oversized tree squirrel or something.

Take a moment to look at Copper's custom he did, and it shows somewhat the issues with the paint on the factory version in compare. I just wish someone would attempt a more realistic paint pattern I guess.

There are many species of Psittacosaurus. Perhaps the one by Carnegie is not supposed to be the same one you have?

I actually like the paint scheme on the Carnegie model. What bothers me is the pose and the surprised (and somewhat dumb) look on its face. Those are minor issues though, it is actually one of my favorite older Carnegie models.

John

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on September 06, 2012, 01:35:33 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 04, 2012, 08:30:55 AM
My kingdom for a single well done, non wood chuck looking, well painted and sculpted Psittacosaurus, quills optional, neutral hands, with no claws on fourth digit, proper sized jugals, and perhaps even a lifelike pose.

The carnegie psittacosaurus is almost perfect.  The whole no claw on fourth digit can be easily fixed with two drops of paint. 

Looking closely at the photo of this Concavinator again.  I really don't think parts were recycled from any other models to make it.    Yes the head is similar to the giga (the real heads were so naturally it should be!) but its def not identical. 

Does carnegie have a history of doing that ever for different species?  I know they have to update the same animal like parasaurolophus or oviraptor but i don't think they have ever re-used parts to make a different animal.  Doesn't mean they won't but its something to take into consideration.
I've seen a modified version of the 2005 Oviraptor released in 2007 listed on some sites as the "male" to the original "female" but there have never been any Carnegie Museum models that recycled parts to make new species.And the photo is clear enough for me to tell that the Concavenator does not recycle any parts from the Giganotosaurus as I keep seeing suggested (they are right in that they are extremely similar though,both being carcharodontids and all).Also,it's 1:25 scale,so it should be in scale with the Cryolophosaurus from 2010,making it about the same size as that one. :)

So far there's the aforementioned Concavenator as well as the upcoming Favorite Collection reborn Brachiosaurus (Giraffatitan) for me to look forward to,I wonder what else in store for us from say Wild Safari? :D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Gwangi on September 06, 2012, 09:43:42 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 06, 2012, 09:29:21 PM

There are many species of Psittacosaurus. Perhaps the one by Carnegie is not supposed to be the same one you have?

I actually like the paint scheme on the Carnegie model. What bothers me is the pose and the surprised (and somewhat dumb) look on its face. Those are minor issues though, it is actually one of my favorite older Carnegie models.
My specimen is supposed to be the type Psittacosaurus meileyingensis , but that is of little use, as Carnegie to the best of my own knowledge has never clearly stated what species they were recreating. So your comment is quite possibly correct. Another thing I make note of, the Carnegie piece might well represent a full adult, whereas my own piece is a juvenile. The lab that prepared my specimen did suggest that it was perhaps a new or not as yet known species due to the extreme jugals it has, even as a juvenile.
Still your comments about the pose and dumb look I think sum up what I was attempting to put across , in my comments about the paint. It is not so much the stripes or color choices I disliked, but rather as you more eloquently stated, the surprised and dumb look, which to me is what I am referring to as the woodchuck look. That coupled with the gesturing hands, and somewhat overweight appearance make the figure a bit........comical.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

EmperorDinobot

Does anybody have a picture of Cryolophosaurus standing next to other Carnegies?

John

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on September 07, 2012, 04:44:26 AM
Does anybody have a picture of Cryolophosaurus standing next to other Carnegies?
This site may be of use:
www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/cryolophosaurus.html
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

EmperorDinobot

Oh what a pretty dino. Wonder why I don't have that or any new Carns since 2009.

tanystropheus

I agree--the Cryolo is beautiful (especially the paint/colors/contrast), although the stance is a bit odd.

I've noticed that the tail is really, really long!---Is that based on fossil evidence?

Patrx

Right, I know I harp on this at every opportunity, but I would love to see somebodymake a proper, up-to-date dromaeosaur. Any dromaeosaur, really. Or even a troodontid. Considering how popular the "raptor" clan is, it's rather perplexing that they are so under-represented in figures and models. Right now, the only ones I can think of that get the wings right are the Carnegie Microraptor and the Kaiyodo "Kitadaniryu".
Additionally, It'd be marvelous to see a few more hypsilophodontids in the future, and I second Amarga's call for a good Psittacosaurus- though I'm definitely in support of the quills as well as the corrected hand posture.

John

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on September 07, 2012, 05:30:12 AM
Oh what a pretty dino. Wonder why I don't have that or any new Carns since 2009.
The models have been getting steadily better,to the point of rivaling and even besting those of Battat.That's why I always laugh when I see posts calling CollectA a serious rival that could take on the Carnegie Collection and the "future" of model lines.The 2010 Ichthyosaurus and 2011 Carnotaurus are particular favorites of mine.To me they are two of the best prehistoric models ever made by any company.

amargasaurus cazaui

Here is to that, I love that Carnotaurus figure !!! I think it one of their best efforts in the entire line.

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 07, 2012, 06:11:04 AM
Here is to that, I love that Carnotaurus figure !!! I think it one of their best efforts in the entire line.
It also has the rare distinction of being identical sculpture-wise to the painted resin prototype seen in the catalogs and online (Ichthyosaurus and the first-run 2001 Dimetrodon that I have also came out exactly the same as the prototypes as well) Maybe the Concavenator will be like that too. :) 

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: John on September 07, 2012, 06:09:31 AM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on September 07, 2012, 05:30:12 AM
The models have been getting steadily better,to the point of rivaling and even besting those of Battat.That's why I always laugh when I see posts calling CollectA a serious rival that could take on the Carnegie Collection and the "future" of model lines.The 2010 Ichthyosaurus and 2011 Carnotaurus are particular favorites of mine.To me they are two of the best prehistoric models ever made by any company.

Don't forget the Tylosaurus. That one is my favorite Carn of all time.

Himmapaan

The discussion regarding Psittacosaurus after the above post has been moved to the 'Anything Psittacosaurus' thread. :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Thanks Niroot, and good call Gryph.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: John on September 06, 2012, 10:01:55 PM
I wonder what else in store for us from say Wild Safari? :D
I think I heard something about a parasaurolophus, but it it was probably just a rumor.
A hope (while unlikely to happen) I have for this concavenator is that the giganotosaurus' and spinosaurus' legs warp in the sun, causing them not to stand. and it would be nice if the 'venator didn't have this problem.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

John

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on September 07, 2012, 10:27:44 PM
Quote from: John on September 06, 2012, 10:01:55 PM
I wonder what else in store for us from say Wild Safari? :D
I think I heard something about a parasaurolophus, but it it was probably just a rumor.
A hope (while unlikely to happen) I have for this concavenator is that the giganotosaurus' and spinosaurus' legs warp in the sun, causing them not to stand. and it would be nice if the 'venator didn't have this problem.
I make sure not to place mine anywhere near open sun from the window or heat for that reason.Sometimes they will come in with warped legs from being shipped in extremely hot conditions,but I use boiling water to heat the vinyl to get it soft enough to bend it back to the way it should be,then hold it under running cold water to hold the shape.After that,I put it in the freezer for about a half hour to make sure it doesn't warp back.This has worked for me every time.
A rumored Wild Safari Parasaurolophus?Here's something to think about,what if there really IS a Parasaurolophus,but the rumor was just a lucky coincidence?Would that ever be admitted to? ^-^

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: