News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 25, 2023, 09:32:54 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 25, 2023, 07:35:15 PMavatar_Bread @Bread I actually like it when people say negative things, it is stimulating and if they are going to converse on why they said so perhaps it could be improvement session. If you or anybody else were to go throigh every drawing i made and criticize, or even just throw "negative remarks" I would appreciate it as it will show what i am doing right and wrong.
Negative criticism has to be to the point and addressing specific models for example. The aim of negative criticism is future improvement. None of that was in your destructive comments. What should someone do with your comments that all the models of both designer are uninspired. You do not even say why you think so and what for example could be improved.
Exactly. Thank you thomasw100.

I won't continue to further respond in this argument when clearly this will just continue with negativity.

I do apologize to those viewing this thread hoping to see sauropod models and instead have a dragged on argument on their screen. I found the negativity towards an artist in particular unfair without a genuine reasoning for the bashing. Again my apologies.

SidB

There is, after all, the controversial opinions thread, which should serve as the lightning rod for potentially upsetting and similar comments. There needs to be a place for vague general criticisms, I suppose, and that thread would be it, providing criticisms don't go "ad hominem".

thomasw100

My intention when I posted the pictures of the Brachiosaurus and Isisaurus models from Miniature Museum was a very simple one. Show people who want to view sauropod models some new ones. Nothing more than that.

Continuing on the core topic, Lana Time Shop has published the first pictures of the large 1:35 scale Argentinosaurus model from Passion Charger. As it happens, the dimensions are pretty close to the estimates from the Eofauna sauropod book and therefore essentially identical to the size in which I will receive that other large Argentinosaurus model from Lana. It feels good to have made a decision about the size that others now have arrived at as well.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 25, 2023, 07:35:15 PMavatar_Bread @Bread I actually like it when people say negative things, it is stimulating and if they are going to converse on why they said so perhaps it could be improvement session. If you or anybody else were to go throigh every drawing i made and criticize, or even just throw "negative remarks" I would appreciate it as it will show what i am doing right and wrong.

You know, I don't agree with your specific criticism of the Miniature Museum line, but I do agree that "negative remarks" are not necessarily to be avoided. Everybody is going to have different thresholds for what they consider a good figure, or what sorts of stylistic or anatomical choices they find acceptable. If somebody else has a different threshold, I think it's fine to give voice to it. One person's 'nitpicking' is another person's 'noticing;' one person's 'comparison' is another person's 'denigration.' I sometimes think that general laments about negativity on the forum are more abundant than actual negativity, and that expressing displeasure is beyond the pale to some members. I'm not sure how much of that is cultural. There's an old saying in the US (perhaps also elsewhere), "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all," which is great advice for a three-year-old who has not yet learned tact, but worse than useless for grown-ups. Stifling anything but joy and optimism has acquired a new name lately: the tyranny of positivity. You're allowed to like stuff, and others are allowed to not like it!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

cryolophosaurus

Saw the Brachiosaurus model (Right) I ordered on Dinosauria creature's instagram page and my god its beautiful with all that detail! Can't wait for it to come. I'll post when that day arrives and compare with other sauropod figures before painting it. 

Stegotyranno420

It looks better and decent printed out

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on October 01, 2023, 10:39:57 PMSaw the Brachiosaurus model (Right) I ordered on Dinosauria creature's instagram page and my god its beautiful with all that detail! Can't wait for it to come. I'll post when that day arrives and compare with other sauropod figures before painting it. 

Oh wow! I must admit I've Webber been a fan of their models but seeing it physically like that, all of the detail appears so much crisper. I guess the issue must lie in the way they render out their models. (As a 3d artist I know all too well how difficult it is to properly light a scene to accentuate detail.)

Stegotyranno420

avatar_DefinitelyNOTDilo @DefinitelyNOTDilo exactly, i guess thats where my dislike came from. It looks better in person

cryolophosaurus

Man, fell in love with this thing when I saw the preview render on this thread and now it's here. What a beauty this thing is!
The miniature museum 1/35 scale Brachiosaurus Altithorax! Printed by Dinosauria Creatures.
Figure put together:

Base:

Compared with the 1/35 scale W-dragon giraffatitan(Honestly perfect):

Morrison Pals:

thomasw100

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on October 04, 2023, 06:09:09 AMMan, fell in love with this thing when I saw the preview render on this thread and now it's here. What a beauty this thing is!
The miniature museum 1/35 scale Brachiosaurus Altithorax! Printed by Dinosauria Creatures.
Figure put together:

Great to see that my initial posting was of some use. I am still considering this model as well. How high is the model compared to the W-Dragon Giraffatitan? And does it have the correct hands and feet, i.e. hands with thumb claw and feet with three clawed digits?

thomasw100

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on October 01, 2023, 10:39:57 PMSaw the Brachiosaurus model (Right) I ordered on Dinosauria creature's instagram page and my god its beautiful with all that detail! Can't wait for it to come. I'll post when that day arrives and compare with other sauropod figures before painting it. 

Oh wow! I must admit I've Webber been a fan of their models but seeing it physically like that, all of the detail appears so much crisper. I guess the issue must lie in the way they render out their models. (As a 3d artist I know all too well how difficult it is to properly light a scene to accentuate detail.)

I just got a Tarchia from Miniature Museum and it has amazing details. I would say the sculpt detail and fineness are at least as good as those of current PNSO models.

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on October 04, 2023, 04:50:55 PM
Quote from: cryolophosaurus on October 04, 2023, 06:09:09 AMMan, fell in love with this thing when I saw the preview render on this thread and now it's here. What a beauty this thing is!
Figure put together:

Great to see that my initial posting was of some use. I am still considering this model as well. How high is the model compared to the W-Dragon Giraffatitan? And does it have the correct hands and feet, i.e. hands with thumb claw and feet with three clawed digits?

Compared to the W-dragon model, they are almost the exact same height with the Brachiosaurus just being slightly taller by a couple centimeters. In terms of of width though, the Giraffatitan is outclassed.

As for the feet, the front ones have that one claw in the front. I thought the toes in the front had nails for some reason and was put off (slight shrink wrapping?), but it was just some really thick wrinkles.

Back feet are great though with the spread to side claws. Very similar to the W-Dragon model.

edu

Wow... i'd love one... may i ask... how much was that beast?

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: edu on October 04, 2023, 08:53:03 PMWow... i'd love one... may i ask... how much was that beast?
It costed me almost 300 USD (that's with shipping and tax in the total) for the unpainted model. It's expensive but since I love to paint models and there's very little TRUE brachiosaurus altithorax figures, it was worth it.

SenSx

I have a noob question regarding that Brachiosaurus.

Is that more bulky version more up to date ?
Or just a different interpretation, and is the W-Dragon a different version of how this animal might have been ?
Which one is more accurate ?

(Of  course I know the W-Dragon is a Giraffatitan not a Brachiosaurus, but both species are quite similar).

Thanks

Halichoeres

I think the Brachiosaurus is just made slightly larger, either at a slightly different scale or representing a larger individual. It's both taller and broader. It's maybe a little bit rounder, but I don't know if I'd say one is more accurate than the other. I think they're both within the plausible range of muscle and other tissue that these guys might have carried around.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

edu

I have a question too! What's the view now on the position of the neck? Is the traditional vertical sawn-like shape still considered possible? Is in the rage of movement allowed by the neck vertebrae articultion?

SenSx

Quote from: edu on October 05, 2023, 08:09:19 PMI have a question too! What's the view now on the position of the neck? Is the traditional vertical sawn-like shape still considered possible? Is in the rage of movement allowed by the neck vertebrae articultion?

Very good question, I see more vertical representations of sauropods'necks nowdays.
Brachiosaurus might be the exception, but I've seen some more horizontal as well.

edu

That's true about representations. It's as if horizontal necks (diplodocidae) and vertical necks (brachiosauridae) are converging in around... 60 to 70 degrees 😬

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: edu on October 05, 2023, 08:09:19 PMI have a question too! What's the view now on the position of the neck? Is the traditional vertical sawn-like shape still considered possible? Is in the rage of movement allowed by the neck vertebrae articultion?

Going off of my experience and what I've seen, a more vertical neck is considered correct on Macronarians (things like brachiosaurus and titanosaurs) but for others like diplodocids a more horizontal position is more likely

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: