News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

E @edu unless auropods beahaved waay differently than any other long-necked vertebrate, the neck was held in an upright posture. Taylor (2009) and a simplier explanation for those not willing to read papers.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

cryolophosaurus

Hey all! I just wanted to share how the model painting going so far for the brachiosaurus. Got the base colors and patterns on over the primer.

I'm basing it off this artwork by vcubestudios (not exactly 1 to 1) because I like the mossy dirty green it has over the skin and the bold natural colors.

Wally-217

I know this is old news now but for a fairly small, close knit forum I've seen a fair amount of, what at least appears to be, bad faith "discussions" being made. Perhaps it's just the way I read it through text but for a hobby that's already inherently pedantic, "bad faith" criticisms really dissuaded me from making an account here for a long time.

But for my actual question: Did anyone here get Zee-Studio's Xinjiangtitan? Or have any good photos of it? I thought it might be too big for my scale but on looking at it again, I'm scared I made a terrible mistake in missing out on it XD

cryolophosaurus

Finished Brachiosaurus altithorax! Came out a lot better than I thought.

Thanks again to T @thomasw100 for pointing me to a good place to get 3D prints. It made my dream of owning a huge TRUE brachiosaurus a reality.

edu

WOW! What a fantastic figure, and the result is amazing. You work fast! Congrats!

thomasw100

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on October 07, 2023, 11:06:41 AMFinished Brachiosaurus altithorax! Came out a lot better than I thought.

Thanks again to T @thomasw100 for pointing me to a good place to get 3D prints. It made my dream of owning a huge TRUE brachiosaurus a reality.

Thank you for your nice words, very much appreciated. I think it is exactly the intention of this thread to make other fans of sauropods aware of some new releases, in particular if these are not coming from the main companies. The finished Brachiosaurus looks truly amazing. This makes me think again if I should get this model as well. How fine is the surface texture? Is this on the same level as for example the recent Ampelosaurus model from Haolonggood? Some resin models still have a rather coarse surface texture. This seems to be the case with this large Argentinosaurus from Passion Charger, which is why I have not yet made up my mind to order it. The other reason is of course the substantial price tag which honestly feels excessive compared to other large sauropod models like the Dreadnoughtus from MuSee studio and the Argentinosaurus, Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus kits from Lana Time Store. And considering that MuSee studio will release a Sauroposeidon next year I would rather tend to go for that rather than another Argentinosaurus. What is pretty strange is that we seem to get quite some 1:35 scale models of really large sauropod species in the last few years, but actually only very few smaller sauropod species. There were of course the Lingwulong from PNSO and the Dicraeosaurus and Ampelosaurus from Haolonggood and then a few more from Zee studio.

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on October 07, 2023, 03:27:24 PM
Quote from: cryolophosaurus on October 07, 2023, 11:06:41 AMFinished Brachiosaurus altithorax! Came out a lot better than I thought.

Thank you for your nice words, very much appreciated. I think it is exactly the intention of this thread to make other fans of sauropods aware of some new releases, in particular if these are not coming from the main companies. The finished Brachiosaurus looks truly amazing. This makes me think again if I should get this model as well. How fine is the surface texture? Is this on the same level as for example the recent Ampelosaurus model from Haolonggood? Some resin models still have a rather coarse surface texture. This seems to be the case with this large Argentinosaurus from Passion Charger, which is why I have not yet made up my mind to order it. The other reason is of course the substantial price tag which honestly feels excessive compared to other large sauropod models like the Dreadnoughtus from MuSee studio and the Argentinosaurus, Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus kits from Lana Time Store. And considering that MuSee studio will release a Sauroposeidon next year I would rather tend to go for that rather than another Argentinosaurus. What is pretty strange is that we seem to get quite some 1:35 scale models of really large sauropod species in the last few years, but actually only very few smaller sauropod species. There were of course the Lingwulong from PNSO and the Dicraeosaurus and Ampelosaurus from Haolonggood and then a few more from Zee studio.
The texture of the model is pretty fine on some areas around the underside and neck. It's not as fine as PNSO or Haolonggood but it's pretty fitting for the creature and it's pretty nice to hold. Can really feel the bumps when running down the figure.

Also, I can't really speak for the MuSee dreadnoughtus, but the lana time argentinosaurus I can say when using it as a comparison the seems fair. Brachiosaurus coming with the base and being roughly 220 USD less than the Argentinosaurus for a similar sturdy resin seems worth it in my opinion. To each their own though. I'm just glad that sauropod fans have been eating good this year with so many big options and future releases.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Leyster on October 06, 2023, 03:11:39 PME @edu unless auropods beahaved waay differently than any other long-necked vertebrate, the neck was held in an upright posture. Taylor (2009) and a simplier explanation for those not willing to read papers.

It's okay to be a layperson. If somebody is interested in plant breeding as a hobby, I wouldn't expect them to necessarily read primary literature in genetics.

Quote from: Wally-217 on October 06, 2023, 10:27:05 PMI know this is old news now but for a fairly small, close knit forum I've seen a fair amount of, what at least appears to be, bad faith "discussions" being made. Perhaps it's just the way I read it through text but for a hobby that's already inherently pedantic, "bad faith" criticisms really dissuaded me from making an account here for a long time.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what kinds of criticisms or discussions you're referring to, but in a general sense the dynamic you're describing might be *because* it's a small community, and not *despite* it. I think for most people here, they don't know many other people in real life with the same hobby. So you find a place like this forum, and it seems like you've really found your people. But it turns out to not be one small hobby, but several VERY small but overlapping hobbies:
• collecting pop culture memorabilia that happens to feature dinosaurs
• collecting thematic art that happens to center on dinosaurs
• collecting representations of current thinking in paleontology
• collecting reminders of one's childhood
• collecting representations of favorite animals without particular criteria of accuracy or vintage
...and some others I'm surely forgetting. It's easy to take it a little personally when others aren't as enthusiastic about one's own subset of the hobby.

Other possible factors: members here are from a variety of cultural and language backgrounds, so don't always know how they sound to each other. People in this hobby are overwhelmingly men, which probably makes it more disputatious than if it were more balanced. And finally, there's a lot of people with autism or related conditions here, and also a lot of people who don't have much experience with autism, which can make sometimes make communication difficult between particular pairs of individuals. My brother is autistic, so you'd think I'd be good at managing this, but I myself have struggled because I didn't anticipate something I intended ironically being taken literally, for example.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 08, 2023, 05:13:00 PM
Quote from: Leyster on October 06, 2023, 03:11:39 PME @edu unless auropods beahaved waay differently than any other long-necked vertebrate, the neck was held in an upright posture. Taylor (2009) and a simplier explanation for those not willing to read papers.

It's okay to be a layperson. If somebody is interested in plant breeding as a hobby, I wouldn't expect them to necessarily read primary literature in genetics.
There are several shades of this. On one side, of course nobody is expected to have a degree in biology/paleontology/comparative anatomy, or having studied similar matters by itself. This is why I linked a fairly simple post on the same matter, too.
On the other hand, I think that people should refer to people more knowledgeable than themselves (and by this I means scientists which study these creatures) if they have no knowledge to debate with them, a thing which I quite often see in modern animal figures pages.

^ again, I'm one of those not native English speakes you write of above, so I hope this do not end up being too harsh.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

ceratopsian

Wise words, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres.  Worth pondering upon.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

To bring this back on topic (though I do think what was discussed was very important, especially halichoere's words.), ever since I managed to pick up rebor's new diplodocus earlier this year, I've been hooked on getting 1/35 scale sauropod figures, and as of two days ago my first truly huge sauropod figure has finally arrived, Patagotitan (I put more info in recent acquisitions.)
This thing is massive, the pictures really don't do it justice, I highly recommend it for anyone wanting a large sauropod figure, and it's relatively affordable at only around $100 usd plus shipping.

Halichoeres

Wow, that's very impressive! At $100 that does seem like a relative bargain.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

And being fibre glass it is less fragile than resin!

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 10, 2023, 09:58:47 PMWow, that's very impressive! At $100 that does seem like a relative bargain.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 10, 2023, 10:47:11 PMAnd being fibre glass it is less fragile than resin!

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 10, 2023, 09:58:47 PMWow, that's very impressive! At $100 that does seem like a relative bargain.
So good to see people thinking of new ways to make relatively affordable large sauropods.

Rayeknor

Ademars patagotitan is also by far the most scientifically accurate titanosaur available. Having seen the patagotitan exhibition in London his attention to detail and strive for accuracy became more evident. The quality of his sculpt with individual scales and teeth is the icing on the cake.

SenSx

This is a great paint scheme for the Patatotitan congrats !
And Yes this product is such a great deal, I'm happy to get one, even if I don't have the space to showcase it yet.

thomasw100

In case you have not yet seen it, here is the big sauropod plan from Haolonggood for next year:

JimoAi

Quote from: thomasw100 on November 23, 2023, 09:28:07 AMIn case you have not yet seen it, here is the big sauropod plan from Haolonggood for next year:

just one or all?

thomasw100

The rumours say all four of them. Alamosaurus is already confirmed.

cryolophosaurus

Fellow sauropod enjoyers, who's excited for next year's fleet of 1:35 scaled titans that are going on the market? I already pre-ordered the blue HLG Alamosaurus in advance but there's way more on the horizon from many different companies/independents.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: