News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Doesn't answer your question Tim, but in scrolling through the Unique Species List, I see Eryon is on there. There is an orange version by Nayab (I have it), so it's not unique.

With regards to 3D printed models/figures, if you are going to include gaming pieces I think 3D printed is fair game, maybe with a disclaimer indicating as such. Then it just opens more doors, like porcelain sculpture, etc.

One idea is to narrowly define the entire list based on material, such as as plastic, rubber, and resin.

Another thought is to define the criteria by product availability (commercially available product ready as-is); this could exclude made-to-order products and 3D prints.

Roselaar

Thanks for the kind compliments avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres ! ^-^
I'm quite sure the USL is in excellent hands under your supervision!

I've struggled with 3D printed models and have never reached consistency. Considering having them manufactured for you (general you) rather than only being able to buy them because a company is producing them for you would now be my limit for adding models to the USL. After all, there's no end in sight to the possibilities 3D printed lines offer, while many species might still turn out unique if they're only printed once despite being commercially available on the printers' websites. Bottomline is, you want to keep the USL manageable for your own convenience too. ;)
But that's just my two cents.

Halichoeres

Thanks for the input, folks! I think I'm coming closer to a conclusion on 3d prints that I think might work. But it is definitely the trickiest one.

B @bmathison1972 There's also a Kabaya version, so yeah, that's probably out.

Tama-Kyu just released this Ardipithecus figure:

The only other 3d representations of Ardipithecus I've ever seen offered for sale are both busts by Artificial Animals (Salvatore Rabito Alcón), one cast in bronze, and the other made of latex and synthetic hair. Because of those I'm inclined to exclude it from the list, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise if someone wants to make a case for it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

I recently posted the Kaiyodo Sinemys as unique but it was brought to my attention on the ATF that there is also a Kaiyodo resin figure, which would render it not unique. Not sure if you count that or not.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 03, 2024, 04:20:11 PMI recently posted the Kaiyodo Sinemys as unique but it was brought to my attention on the ATF that there is also a Kaiyodo resin figure, which would render it not unique. Not sure if you count that or not.

You mean the Herptiles one?

I think it's extremely rare, but it is definitely a different sculpt, so I think you're right that would disqualify the Dinotales one.

On another note, Lana Time is offering this Antarctosaurus:

It is the only one I know of, anybody else know another?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Not sure if it counts but Lana also offers a baby Antarctica as part of another kit.

Halichoeres

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on January 24, 2024, 04:32:28 AMNot sure if it counts but Lana also offers a baby Antarctica as part of another kit.

Wasn't aware of that, you mean this kit with Aucasaurus?

If one counts, then so does the other. There are so many kits available now from China that soon there will be no dinosaurs sensu stricto left on this list!

Roselaar

I would definitely say Sinemys is out.

And kits... the agony of establishing parameters with those... It kinda depends on how widely available they are, in my opinion.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on January 25, 2024, 07:13:23 PMI would definitely say Sinemys is out.

And kits... the agony of establishing parameters with those... It kinda depends on how widely available they are, in my opinion.

Yeah, that's hard to know. I mean, PaleoCreatures was always included, and I doubt any of those exists in more than 30 copies.

This new Rubeosaurus would seem to bump the genus off the list:

Meanwhile, this new Limaysaurus is the only one I'm aware of.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 29, 2024, 03:46:30 AMThis new Rubeosaurus would seem to bump the genus off the list:

While it isn't directly referred to by the same name, the Beasts of the Mesozoic Old Buck is also Rubeosaurus (in this case, Styracosaurus ovatus), so with the standard and bloodied variant of that particular figure, there are 3 figures of Rubeosaurus.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: crazy8wizard on January 29, 2024, 06:23:07 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 29, 2024, 03:46:30 AMThis new Rubeosaurus would seem to bump the genus off the list:

While it isn't directly referred to by the same name, the Beasts of the Mesozoic Old Buck is also Rubeosaurus (in this case, Styracosaurus ovatus), so with the standard and bloodied variant of that particular figure, there are 3 figures of Rubeosaurus.
I'm realizing immediately that I misinterpreted the post, so disregard this message

thomasw100

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 29, 2024, 03:46:30 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on January 25, 2024, 07:13:23 PMI would definitely say Sinemys is out.

Yeah, that's hard to know. I mean, PaleoCreatures was always included, and I doubt any of those exists in more than 30 copies.

This new Rubeosaurus would seem to bump the genus off the list:

Meanwhile, this new Limaysaurus is the only one I'm aware of.

Paleokhris (Christopher Chavez) has a Limaysaurus model that can be 3D printed. His models have a very high quality with rich and detailed surface texture.

Flaffy

I'm still of the opinion that resin kits/casts and customs should not be included in the USL. Or maybe they should have their own separate list instead.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Flaffy on January 29, 2024, 07:53:47 AMI'm still of the opinion that resin kits/casts and customs should not be included in the USL. Or maybe they should have their own separate list instead.

Totally agree. I consider tem kinda like "placeholder" models in the list, while there isn't a mass produced version. They should be listed separately and when a mass produced version is done, the resin/3d print/custom kit is removed from the list altogether. Like the species was "bumped up" to the main category or main list.

I mostly don't think resin kits and custom/comissioned 3d prints etc count as a species "being made" in figure form. For instance, I never heard of a model of Gnathovorax, but If I contact a 3d modeler here in Brazil and pay for a comissioned Gnathovorax for 3d printing, I can have that done anytime I want. So considering these types of models for the list doesn't seem fair, since they were not manufactured by a company in large scale.

Concavenator

I agree with avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy and avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro .

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres The BotM "Old Buck" is Styracosaurus ovatus (= Rubeosaurus).

Halichoeres

I appreciate your input, everyone. However, I agreed to maintain this thread, not to overhaul it. It has always included resins and model kits, and it has usually excluded 3d prints. To alter that now would not just involve deleting things currently included, it would mean an exhaustive search of every currently excluded genus to see that its exclusion isn't due to one of the 2+ versions being resin cast or model kit.

As I see it, the rationale for excluding 3d prints is similar to the one for plush: the barrier to entry is too low. Once I ordered a print from Shapeways, and they canceled my order because they said it wouldn't actually print because the design was too fragile. Nevertheless, the item remains available on Shapeways. It's just too easy to make something in Zbrush or Blendr and upload it somewhere; hell, even I've done it. The only exception has been Paleozoo, which is perhaps a bit questionable, although those figures were hand-finished and pretty thoroughly tested before being offered for sale. I would be willing to entertain an argument for their exclusion, however.

On the other hand, resins and model kits have always been included. I'm not sure I understand why they should be. Because they're not technically 'toys?' Should I exclude PaleoCreatures? FaunaCasts? Sideshow? DamToys? I need to have a useful criterion, and 'cast' vs. 'printed' seems like a pretty reasonable one as far as I'm concerned. Number of copies could be valid, if the numbers were available, but they aren't.

Halichoeres

Passion Charger Bisticeratops is the first (only) representation of the genus, correct?

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 28, 2024, 09:27:36 PMPassion Charger Bisticeratops is the first (only) representation of the genus, correct?

Never even heard of that one, so it's very likely unique.:)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on March 03, 2024, 01:05:03 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 28, 2024, 09:27:36 PMPassion Charger Bisticeratops is the first (only) representation of the genus, correct?

Never even heard of that one, so it's very likely unique.:)

Thanks! :)

I've made the following edits:

Bisticeratops added (Passion Charger)
Limaysaurus added (Sumeru studio)
Rubeosaurus removed
Sinemys removed
Giraffatitan removed
Germanodactylus added (Happy Kin, I'm not aware of another version)
Abrictosaurus added (Happy Kin, I'm not aware of another version)

Finally, I'm considering adding plants. I will probably leave out ones that were not identified by genus, such as the cycads by Aurora and CollectA, and the tree fern by Safari Ltd.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.