News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

I'm really holding out for a hard copy release of this series, complete with bonus features galore!

Darko2300

Quote from: Carnoking on June 21, 2022, 09:08:37 PMI'm really holding out for a hard copy release of this series, complete with bonus features galore!
From your fingers to God's eyes... 🙏

Samrukia

Duna

Quote from: erlectric on June 23, 2022, 05:29:30 AM

That's an incredible effort, hard work and astonishing landscapes ...

Fembrogon

We have a soundtrack!!

https://lnk.to/PrehistoricPlanet
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4PVM5YH/ref=dm_rwp_pur_lnd_albm_unrg

I know what I'm going to be listening to for the next month.  :))  ;D

RobinGoodfellow

For those interested in "backstage-things", Prehistoric Planet was shoot with Red Ranger Monstro cinema cameras.
Red Monstro cameras are widely used for tv-series (mostly on Netflix) and documentaries.
They are also used for cinema (even if, for the big screen, most of the big Directors of Photography went for Arri Alexa instead of Red..).
Red Monstro is a relatively lightweight Large Format 8K camera shooting in raw format (  https://www.red.com/red-ranger-monstro?quantity=1&rangerpower=2 ).
Even if I'm a big Arri fan, Red Mostro is a solid cinema camera.

:)

Duna

Samrukia

Carnoking

I've been jamming out to that soundtrack for the past couple of days now. So great to finally have that wonderful music but is it fair to miss the Ornithomimus thievery track??

Fembrogon

I was noticing that absence too; strange to leave it out. I rather like that goofy track too.

So far I think the Deinocheirus theme and the Dreadnoughtus theme are my favorites - and speaking of dreadnoughtus, somebody on Twitter layered the track over some scenes from Godzilla 2014 with impressive results:
https://twitter.com/RussellMaddie19/status/1540786866961514498

Carnoking

Quote from: Fembrogon on June 26, 2022, 08:45:35 PMI was noticing that absence too; strange to leave it out. I rather like that goofy track too.

It was a fun number. Gave me Pirates of the Caribbean vibes which I found fitting as Zimmer also worked on that score (although I won't claim to know the extent of his involvement with this particular piece)

Fembrogon

I can hear the similarities; it's that bouncy, almost-comical tone on the scale you'd normally expect for an action piece. It's unusual but very catchy.

Then there's the Dreadnoughtus theme, which is just all-out colossal combat spectacle. I can't help loving it; the track tickles my kaiju obsession.

Another one I'm growing more fond of: the Mosasaurus Spa. This one has the feel of beauty on a grand, otherworldly scale. It's simultaneously soothing in its peacefulness, yet moving due to its strangeness.

Yeah, I might have had some reservations when the first trailers dropped, but I am totally in love with this soundtrack now. I'm going be riding a PhP high for another month at this rate!

Stegotyranno420

In terms of the soundtrack.
Prehistoric Planet's soundtrack is hard to describe.  The people put in a lot of work in it, but it feels generic(probably because Hans Zimmer is in almost every soundtrack I can think of, in a good way). It just lacks anything unique other than the main theme, which I am not much of a fan. I don't mean to downplay it, it is a great piece, just not my cup of chai.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 27, 2022, 07:37:53 AM
In terms of the soundtrack.
Prehistoric Planet's soundtrack is hard to describe.  The people put in a lot of work in it, but it feels generic(probably because Hans Zimmer is in almost every soundtrack I can think of, in a good way). It just lacks anything unique other than the main theme, which I am not much of a fan. I don't mean to downplay it, it is a great piece, just not my cup of chai.
afaik the main theme is the only score Hans actually composed
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Concavenator

Very late to the bandwagon, but finally watched Prehistoric Planet!

Really enjoyed it. The overall experience felt very reminiscent of Walking with Dinosaurs, as their main goal is the same - depict prehistoric creatures in the same way as extant creatures are depicted in documentaries (now this is the sort of prehistoric life media that I like!) except the designs are scientifically up-to-date, and some of the behaviours shown are unusual
Spoiler
(like the Triceratops visiting the cave, the bioluminiscent ammonites, the troodontid at the fire...)
[close]

And they fulfilled their goal completely.

I knew this was a masterpiece beforehand, and after watching it, I'm totally satisfied and I'm very much looking forward to a potential Season 2 (has it been confirmed?). Alongside Walking with Dinosaurs, my favorite piece of prehistoric life media that I've ever watched. I still believe the WWD 3D movie was such a wasted opportunity, the creatures' designs were top notch (no wonder, David Krentz was involved) but they absolutely ruined it with those cringey dialogues and voices and animations (I mean, the visuals themselves were very good, but sometimes the animals' movements felt rather childish).

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Concavenator on July 05, 2022, 08:40:02 PMVery late to the bandwagon, but finally watched Prehistoric Planet!

Really enjoyed it. The overall experience felt very reminiscent of Walking with Dinosaurs, as their main goal is the same - depict prehistoric creatures in the same way as extant creatures are depicted in documentaries (now this is the sort of prehistoric life media that I like!) except the designs are scientifically up-to-date, and some of the behaviours shown are unusual
Spoiler
(like the Triceratops visiting the cave, the bioluminiscent ammonites, the troodontid at the fire...)
[close]

And they fulfilled their goal completely.

I knew this was a masterpiece beforehand, and after watching it, I'm totally satisfied and I'm very much looking forward to a potential Season 2 (has it been confirmed?). Alongside Walking with Dinosaurs, my favorite piece of prehistoric life media that I've ever watched. I still believe the WWD 3D movie was such a wasted opportunity, the creatures' designs were top notch (no wonder, David Krentz was involved) but they absolutely ruined it with those cringey dialogues and voices and animations (I mean, the visuals themselves were very good, but sometimes the animals' movements felt rather childish).
Not confirmed, but it's very very likely, as PrePlanet has been one of AppleTV+'s most successful shows.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

HD-man

;) 2 reviews for the price of 1:

In reference to "long twitter threads from the show's consultant": https://twitter.com/colinburgess/status/1537906534193065984
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Halichoeres

Well, I have renewed my Apple+ subscription for the second time so I can keep re-watching this. I've now spent about as much on this as 1 movie ticket.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

I'm feeling the itch to watch it again myself but I really would like to hold out for a physical release. Although I do still need to finish The Essex Serpent which I started but didn't finish.

ceratopsian

We did exactly the same with the Essex Serpent.

Quote from: Gwangi on July 27, 2022, 01:21:06 AMI'm feeling the itch to watch it again myself but I really would like to hold out for a physical release. Although I do still need to finish The Essex Serpent which I started but didn't finish.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: