News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 27, 2022, 12:44:39 AMWell, I have renewed my Apple+ subscription for the second time so I can keep re-watching this. I've now spent about as much on this as 1 movie ticket.
I did too. So I've watched it two times in English and two times in Spanish.

Fembrogon

I just officially cancelled my own subscription; kept it for two months and watched PhP a total of three times, sharing with some family. Between PhP and a couple other programs I checked out (mostly Tiny World and Fraggle Rock, I feel like I got my money's worth - which is not something I expected to say about this service!

Here's to hoping for a physical release down the road, though. And more behind-the-scenes material. And some toys maybe...

suspsy

I cancelled my subscription after the free week was up. Didn't really bother checking out anything else.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Darko2300

Quote from: Gwangi on July 27, 2022, 01:21:06 AMI'm feeling the itch to watch it again myself but I really would like to hold out for a physical release. Although I do still need to finish The Essex Serpent which I started but didn't finish.
Oh man, for such an interesting premise, The Essex Serpent just keeps getting more ridiculous every episode - little wonder nobody can finish it.  ;D

Gwangi

Just found out that my wife, despite telling me that she did, never canceled our subscription to Apple TV+. That means we've been paying for a service we're not using and that really grinds my gears. But when life gives you lemons...looks like I can finish The Essex Serpent and re-watch Prehistoric Planet. Maybe I'll even "review" the 5th episode.

Fembrogon

I don't believe this was shared before: an interview with Kara Talve and Anže Rozman on composing for the series, with some of the custom-made instruments to show off as well!

Bread

Just a heads up to anyone who hasn't received said notification(s) regarding Apple TV memberships. Price will increase from $4.99 (USD) to $6.99 (USD).

I want to also note that I did not know this until I clicked on the App, appeared with a pop-up message indicating the price increase starting next month.

I figured I'd put this message here as I assume most members were only in it for Prehistoric Planet. Anyways... I'm still subscribed because occasionally I like to enjoy the show in the background while studying.

Sorry for the unfortunate news. Hope this does not turn heads.

Fembrogon

That's still a more modest price than some other sites - not that I'm subscribed to Apple TV right now anyway.

Cretaceous Crab

Any news on when it will be released on Blu-ray and such?

Bread

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 31, 2022, 02:41:44 AMThat's still a more modest price than some other sites - not that I'm subscribed to Apple TV right now anyway.
Oh I agree. Just wanted to put a heads up about the price increase.

Honestly, I am just subscribed until this series is released on DVD.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Bread on October 31, 2022, 12:35:42 PMHonestly, I am just subscribed until this series is released on DVD.

Is there going to be a DVD release? Because it almost seems like Apple could make more money on it by keeping it on streaming forever.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 31, 2022, 02:03:52 PM
Quote from: Bread on October 31, 2022, 12:35:42 PMHonestly, I am just subscribed until this series is released on DVD.

Is there going to be a DVD release? Because it almost seems like Apple could make more money on it by keeping it on streaming forever.
I believe there is no word on it being a DVD release. Like you said, they would earn way more money to keep the series held on their platform. Plus, I consider DVD's to be almost irrelevant with this point in time, sadly...

Edit: To add, this DVD release is based on hope for one...

Halichoeres

I'd also prefer to have it on DVD!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

I absolutely want to see this program released on Blu-ray and 4K one day, hopefully soon. Home video may not be a huge market anymore, but I have faith there is still a substantial customer base in the paleo community who would buy it on disc.
Plus, more bonus features, maybe?

Dusty Wren

Apple's not going to release a DVD. They make more money if they can convince you to pay for the streaming service and then stick around so you can re-watch stuff you like. That business model doesn't work if you can buy shows a la carte on DVD.

If there was money to be made on DVDs of streaming shows, Netflix would have done that years ago.
Check out my customs thread!

Duna

That's a pity but it's the sad truth. I rewatched about a dozen times (if not more) Walking With Dinosaurs in those days. But now I've realised that I even can't watch a DVD because I have nowhere to watch it, ironically.  :))  :))

Fembrogon

Netflix DID release Blu-ray sets of Stranger Things - one of their most famous original titles - for at least the first two seasons; so it's not like the practice is completely unheard of. I don't know how well the sets sold, however.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Duna on October 31, 2022, 05:10:07 PMThat's a pity but it's the sad truth. I rewatched about a dozen times (if not more) Walking With Dinosaurs in those days. But now I've realised that I even can't watch a DVD because I have nowhere to watch it, ironically.  :))  :))

Me too. I don't have a DVD player and my new laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. I only have a handful of DVDs now anyway as I gave most of my DVD collection away when I left Ireland in 2010 (even back then I saw the writing on the wall). I only kept the DVDs I knew I'd rewatch on a regular basis, if you're interested...

Spoiler
Jurassic Park trilogy
Walking with Dinosaurs box set
The Shining
Aliens
Psycho
Monty Python movies box set
Star Wars original trilogy box set
Spaced (TV series)
and...
Dumb and Dumber ;D
[close]

Fembrogon

I really hate the fact that computers (and cars, for that matter) have been cycling out internal disc drives. I get the reasons why, but I like my physical media, for crying out loud!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 31, 2022, 06:04:01 PMI really hate the fact that computers (and cars, for that matter) have been cycling out internal disc drives. I get the reasons why, but I like my physical media, for crying out loud!
They can't take your physical media away from you
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: