News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Quote from: RolandEden on March 02, 2023, 03:08:55 PMGlad to see a second season! Earlier this year MPC (the vfx house that did Prehistoric Planet) posted a reel showing new dinosaurs like rajasaurus, isisaurus and saltasaurus, maybe those are for season 2! Other dino we saw in production was the silouette of a pachycephalosaurus

I'm curious to see that reel if you happen to know where I could find it

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: Carnoking on March 02, 2023, 03:59:53 PM
Quote from: RolandEden on March 02, 2023, 03:08:55 PMGlad to see a second season! Earlier this year MPC (the vfx house that did Prehistoric Planet) posted a reel showing new dinosaurs like rajasaurus, isisaurus and saltasaurus, maybe those are for season 2! Other dino we saw in production was the silouette of a pachycephalosaurus

I'm curious to see that reel if you happen to know where I could find it
Sent you something

Fembrogon

What wonderful news to start my day with. That announcement sure came FAST! Not that I'm complaining, of course.  ;D  I'm inclined to agree that this season was probably produced concurrently with season 1; I don't know how else they could have it ready just a year later.
Guess I'll be renewing my Apple subscription come May!

SpartanSquat

I think this season 2 is part 2 of season 1. Due how the production was, maybe some stuff would be outaded like carnotaurus skin, but who cares, its good to have a good dinosaur doc along with the netflix doc, shame we have the stephen fry doc with rip off ark models

Faelrin

Man that's great to see. Can't wait for it to drop.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PrimevalRaptor

Very exciting news, I was open for anything when Darren teased something on Twitter but this is the best, can't wait to see what they have in store this time!

dragon53

Apple TV+ is releasing its content on bluray, but only in the UK, so maybe PREHISTORIC PLANET might be available in bluray in the UK in the future---but unfortunately not in the US.

LINK: https://bgr.com/entertainment/apple-tv-plus-blu-ray-shows/

(My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere)

Flaffy

I really wish AppleTV further exploited the Prehistoric Planet series by producing merch...

If the "Forgotten Bloodlines: Agate" Kickstarter is anything to go by, the demand for physical models of on-screen animals is HIGH. (both the $70 and $175 tiers are completely sold out)

Carnoking

The possibility for a physical release only in the UK is simultaneously encouraging and discouraging

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Carnoking on March 02, 2023, 10:54:26 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 02, 2023, 10:03:19 AM
Quote from: Carnoking on March 02, 2023, 09:26:35 AMWell, I'm glad they're doing more. My only concern is a year turnaround? That doesn't seem like a lot of time, I really hope this new season doesn't feel rushed

If Favreau is still involved the quality is still going to be top shelf.  Besides, Sir David Attenborough is 96 years old.  It wouldn't surprise me if year two had been shot and voice recorded concurrently to season one and then they were just finishing up the animation in post production.

The thought of them having shot and recorded enough for two seasons had occurred to me. I also considered the possibility that there may be a smattering of sequences that were cut from the first season. Here's hoping.

I don't think you should worry about a decline in quality or a 'rushed' product as you put it on your post.  Nowadays it's not uncommon for productions like these to bundle stuff to save $ on production costs.  If you're already there, already have the film crew, and you know your voice talent is 96 years old, it stands to reason that they made enough to maybe produce 20-30 episodes from the very beginning.  Then you go back and you spend the lion's share of the money on the CGI on a handful of episodes and see how the series is received.  The series was a huge hit so then you green light more $ be spent on post production CGI and you crank out another handful of episodes. 

It's not like a five episode series was that long to begin with and the timing of the next set of episodes suggests that they were set to go forward with more CGI if the first batch of episodes proved to be a hit. 

In other words, don't be surprised if there are a couple more years or like 5-10 more episodes in the works over the next couple of years if things continue to go well for the series.  The bulk of the money is in the CGI.  I live in SoCal, I studied film work in college, I've even worked as  a movie extra in the past.  My next door neighbor builds sets for films and his wife is a costume designer for films.  One of my best friends is a screenwriter and has done both television and movie scripts.  More and more we are seeing studios bundle shoots in this way and they can either expand the project or if it doesn't do well they can shelf it altogether.  The CGI makes it possible to finish something or not finish something at a later time.

Eatmycar

Quote from: Flaffy on March 02, 2023, 06:32:15 PMI really wish AppleTV further exploited the Prehistoric Planet series by producing merch...

If the "Forgotten Bloodlines: Agate" Kickstarter is anything to go by, the demand for physical models of on-screen animals is HIGH. (both the $70 and $175 tiers are completely sold out)

Seriously. I'm disappointed in the lack of toys especially plush stuff from Prehistoric Planet. At least Kaiyodo style statues of some animals would be nice. Or just the Mononykus. The designs in this show are phenomenal.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Eatmycar on March 02, 2023, 07:47:28 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on March 02, 2023, 06:32:15 PMI really wish AppleTV further exploited the Prehistoric Planet series by producing merch...

Seriously. I'm disappointed in the lack of toys especially plush stuff from Prehistoric Planet. At least Kaiyodo style statues of some animals would be nice. Or just the Mononykus. The designs in this show are phenomenal.

Wasn't there a rumor floating around that they might be working with PNSO to release a prehistoric planet set of figures?  I could've sworn someone here posted something about that but my memory is not what it used to be...

Pachyrhinosaurus

It would be a shame if Prehistoric Planet doesn't make it onto mainstream media (TV or DVD/Blu-Ray). I think that's the reason I don't see it as a proper successor to Walking with Dinosaurs-- availabilty. It's only available on a specific subscription service, and you need a new "smart" TV (or a converter box) to get that kind of stuff. I'm sure toys would also be a bigger possibility if it were more mainstream. Even Schleich could partner with them and come out with some great toys since they'd be 3D printed off the models from the show, anyway.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Fembrogon

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 02, 2023, 07:57:30 PMWasn't there a rumor floating around that they might be working with PNSO to release a prehistoric planet set of figures?  I could've sworn someone here posted something about that but my memory is not what it used to be...
Darren Naish had tweeted to PNSO's official page expressing interest in sharing their products with the BBC team, but no other context or follow-up was provided; so who knows what that was truly about.

I'm quite starved for merchandise too, though. Surely a stuffed Mononykus would sell like hotcakes?

Carnoking

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 02, 2023, 07:45:14 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on March 02, 2023, 10:54:26 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 02, 2023, 10:03:19 AM
Quote from: Carnoking on March 02, 2023, 09:26:35 AMWell, I'm glad they're doing more. My only concern is a year turnaround? That doesn't seem like a lot of time, I really hope this new season doesn't feel rushed

If Favreau is still involved the quality is still going to be top shelf.  Besides, Sir David Attenborough is 96 years old.  It wouldn't surprise me if year two had been shot and voice recorded concurrently to season one and then they were just finishing up the animation in post production.

The thought of them having shot and recorded enough for two seasons had occurred to me. I also considered the possibility that there may be a smattering of sequences that were cut from the first season. Here's hoping.

I don't think you should worry about a decline in quality or a 'rushed' product as you put it on your post.  Nowadays it's not uncommon for productions like these to bundle stuff to save $ on production costs.  If you're already there, already have the film crew, and you know your voice talent is 96 years old, it stands to reason that they made enough to maybe produce 20-30 episodes from the very beginning.  Then you go back and you spend the lion's share of the money on the CGI on a handful of episodes and see how the series is received.  The series was a huge hit so then you green light more $ be spent on post production CGI and you crank out another handful of episodes. 

It's not like a five episode series was that long to begin with and the timing of the next set of episodes suggests that they were set to go forward with more CGI if the first batch of episodes proved to be a hit. 

In other words, don't be surprised if there are a couple more years or like 5-10 more episodes in the works over the next couple of years if things continue to go well for the series.  The bulk of the money is in the CGI.  I live in SoCal, I studied film work in college, I've even worked as  a movie extra in the past.  My next door neighbor builds sets for films and his wife is a costume designer for films.  One of my best friends is a screenwriter and has done both television and movie scripts.  More and more we are seeing studios bundle shoots in this way and they can either expand the project or if it doesn't do well they can shelf it altogether.  The CGI makes it possible to finish something or not finish something at a later time.

The CGI is exactly what would worry me in this case. I don't doubt the nature photography could be done relatively swiftly, and BBC probably has a whole archive of applicable footage it could use for any given environment for establishing shots in a pinch. My concern primarily stems from all the recent horror stories about VFX teams not getting the time they need, not being informed about new deadlines, having to pivot to a new idea at the last minute, etc. etc. etc., all to be overworked just to get a subpar product finished for a set premiere date.

To be fair, this isn't a new issue by any means. Taking things all the way back to the original King Kong, the sequel to that film had an insanely rushed production (not even a year IIRC to write, shoot, and do all of the painstaking stop-motion effects, and all on a budget that was a fraction of the original's).

The point I'm trying to make is that I would hate if this was a case where some exec decided to "strike while the iron was hot" and put a rush on production of season 2. Of course, the sole image of the Tarchia we have to go off of shows plenty of promise and I'm sure my worries are baseless, but in this modern age of constant media consumption and assembly line entertainment, anything could happen.

Brocc21

The Tarchia actually appeared in season one (as a background dinosaur at that watering hole in Mongolia). I wouldn't worry too much about a decline in quality. As has already been stated, it's more than likely season 2 began development before season 1 even dropped. And they've had nearly a year to finish it all up.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Samrukia

expecting a teaser on April 1-3 ::)

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 02, 2023, 10:00:14 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 02, 2023, 07:57:30 PMWasn't there a rumor floating around that they might be working with PNSO to release a prehistoric planet set of figures?  I could've sworn someone here posted something about that but my memory is not what it used to be...
Darren Naish had tweeted to PNSO's official page expressing interest in sharing their products with the BBC team, but no other context or follow-up was provided; so who knows what that was truly about.

I'm quite starved for merchandise too, though. Surely a stuffed Mononykus would sell like hotcakes?

Same here, I'm a huge fan of this series.  I got Apple+ just for this show and can't tell you how many times I've watched every episode.  By now I've probably seen each one a good 7-10 times easy  ;D

I'd buy every single dinosaur featured on the show for sure, but I want the exact look on paint schemes etc.

Dynomikegojira

So here's a question that I haven't seen anyway speculate on if we're getting a third season what's the possibility of it releasing next year. My guess would be it will depend on whether they go to a different time period but I'd like to think that the ten years it took of development they may have already planned out multiple seasons they just have to film at the locations and add the VFX at post about a year before release so basically another season next is possible but I personally think we got lucky and should expect another season until 2025 especially if the season 3 covers a different time period.

Concavenator

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 02, 2023, 07:00:20 AMBut the question is would I be able to make a new free trial or that wont be allowed?

Yeah, would like to know that as well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: