News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: imnewhere on December 20, 2019, 05:17:23 AM
is the Chilesaurus pose even possible for it to have done with its wrist and what not? same for the giga but with its tail

If it's wrist is like all other dinosaurs then probably not..but it's certainly not the worst thing they could mess up.

I was reminded of some lizards..running full out.

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 20, 2019, 05:54:18 AM
Quote from: imnewhere on December 20, 2019, 05:17:23 AM
is the Chilesaurus pose even possible for it to have done with its wrist and what not? same for the giga but with its tail

If it's wrist is like all other dinosaurs then probably not..but it's certainly not the worst thing they could mess up.

I was reminded of some lizards..running full out.

If the Chilesaurus was in the running lizard pose shown above instead of screaming in pain due to its broken wrist, I would gladly pick the figure up.

Blade-of-the-Moon

heh heh you see what you want to see I guess. I did address that small issue.  Just think of it as a 90's reconstruction.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 20, 2019, 07:47:17 AM
heh heh you see what you want to see I guess. I did address that small issue.  Just think of it as a 90's reconstruction.

Chilesaurus wasn't known in the 90s. And since its discovery in 2004 we've been knowing that it was bipedal.
It can't be helped. That figure is a bummer :( .

ITdactyl

Maybe the Chilesaurus is projectile-pooping... who knows what pose the artist was really trying to capture.*
I can think of several reason's it'd be stuck in that snapshot, but I concede that it's tough to love that pose.
*maybe this is the sculptor's jab at that new trend of people sunning their nether bits.

Giggles on the other hand... when the side profile photo was released, I did say I liked it - regardless of the [very] upright pose.  To echo several members, I liked that it reminded me of the giga that James Gurney did for National Geographic.
However, on seeing the 2nd photo and how it looks so "spread-eagle"... I will admit that my interest waned a bit.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 20, 2019, 09:16:03 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 20, 2019, 07:47:17 AM

Chilesaurus wasn't known in the 90s. And since its discovery in 2004 we've been knowing that it was bipedal.
It can't be helped. That figure is a bummer :( .

I guess I'm just not being serious enough. If it was known then or not the wrist position could label it as a " 90's " dino. Maybe it did break it's wrist? Even bipedal animals can fall forward while attempting escape.  I guess my main point was you can imagine any scenario really to fit.  Would def be a rare snapshot of really unique moment viewed in such a way.  lol

Duna

When looking at the larger photos, you can realise how magnific the sculpture of the giga is, it's full of detail: scales, wrinkles, very muscular, just like the standing Rex. What bothers me more is not the upright pose, yet it can be posible (but not like that, tail is much longer and can't curve like that), is the length of the neck, it's toooo long and that curve is imposible: goes up, then down ... looks like long-necked turtles or as it was broken in half. If you look at the real skeleton, neck is shorter.

More views here: https://www.papo-france.com/en/new-products/770-giganotosaurus.html

I only have one figure of each species in my collection, but when choosing between buying a really accurate bipedal figure that may someday warp and fall (nothing that can not be fixed perfectly with hot water) and a ridiculously upward arms-legs spread tripod figure that won't fall down even in an earthquake, sorry, but for me is something that I would not even lose a minute thinking about. Not a second.

If I had enough room and money, I would surely buy this Papo's giga as I bought the first standing T-Rex years ago and display it in another cabinet with the Papos. They are fantastic to look at their detailed sculpture, no doubt.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 19, 2019, 01:54:19 AM
Quote from: Mattyonyx on December 18, 2019, 11:56:49 PM
They already did  >:D

Source: Facebook

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! yeeeeeeeeessssssss!

That's what the dinosaurs said. Especially, from the looks of it, the Chilesaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

The Pachycephalosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Feathered Velociraptor, and Stegosaurus are all confirmed to be retired.

GojiraGuy1954

Eh, i have all four of them except the para, but i'm gonna get the new para
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

You know what, im just done with papo, forget it. I now just a safari guy

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 21, 2019, 06:12:26 PM

PNSO is always there too if you want Papo quality details. Paint app can be dodgy though.

Faelrin

Okay so is it just me or does the head look huge in this pic? I really have no idea what is going on with the proportions of this figure now. Its certainly been altered in a way that early reconstructions of dinosaurs were, just to be forced into a tripod pose. Crazy how we go from that mostly accurate Spinosaurus to this though (unless this was sculpted prior to that figure and is only releasing now). I just don't get it.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on December 21, 2019, 06:42:19 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 21, 2019, 06:12:26 PM

PNSO is always there too if you want Papo quality details. Paint app can be dodgy though.
I knos, but my bugdet is  at the most 25 bucks. And i still like the oringinal papo spinosauru smore than any other spino

Loon

Quote from: Faelrin on December 21, 2019, 07:53:57 PM
Okay so is it just me or does the head look huge in this pic? I really have no idea what is going on with the proportions of this figure now. Its certainly been altered in a way that early reconstructions of dinosaurs were, just to be forced into a tripod pose. Crazy how we go from that mostly accurate Spinosaurus to this though (unless this was sculpted prior to that figure and is only releasing now). I just don't get it.

Yeah, I agree. I'm gonna go against what I've been seeing people say, "the pose is weird, but the sculpting is very good", I don't think the sculpt is particularly great. The proportions are awful, the head looks ok, but it's oversized, and the rest of the body just looks weird.

SidB

Many of Papo's figures press the boundary of the possible, some certainly go beyond it. IMO, this one goes so far beyond the acceptably possible as to make the transition from dinosaur to monstrosity, at least in the pictures to which we've had access so far.

Neosodon

Quote from: Loon on December 21, 2019, 09:02:59 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on December 21, 2019, 07:53:57 PM

Yeah, I agree. I'm gonna go against what I've been seeing people say, "the pose is weird, but the sculpting is very good", I don't think the sculpt is particularly great. The proportions are awful, the head looks ok, but it's oversized, and the rest of the body just looks weird.
Something about the figure is definitely off. I don't know how papo can put in so much detail and quality yet end up with figures looking so disturbed. Seems like a waste of talent.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Fenestra

Hmmm, try to imagine the Giga would stand in this pose and lift its head up to the sky roaring,
then the neck (from the back of the head to shoulders) would be almost as long as its whole body.

Loon

Quote from: Fenestra on December 21, 2019, 11:47:26 PM
Hmmm, try to imagine the Giga would stand in this pose and lift its head up to the sky roaring,
then the neck (from the back of the head to shoulders) would be almost as long as its whole body.

But, hey, they sculpted a lot of scales so it's high-quality.  ;)

Fenestra

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: