News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoxels

Quote from: Andreioli on December 31, 2019, 12:58:34 PM
Another in-hand photo of the Giganotosaurus from Baidu:

I hate the way the neck vertebrae look. They looks like growths going down the neck.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Roselaar

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 07:38:42 AM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 31, 2019, 07:34:30 AM
A couple of years ago Papo' sculptor said that he wasn't that into prehistoric animals but he always use popular images to create figures.

I wonder, has there been a Papo design not based on some form of pop culture?

I dunno... Kaprosuchus? Cryolophosaurus? Tupuxuara? Baryonyx? New Spinosaurus? Pentaceratops?

Dinoxels

Quote from: Roselaar on December 31, 2019, 01:52:42 PM
A couple of years ago Papo' sculptor said that he wasn't that into prehistoric animals but he always use popular images to create figures.

I dunno... Kaprosuchus? Cryolophosaurus? Tupuxuara? Baryonyx? New Spinosaurus? Pentaceratops?
The Cryolophosaurus is based on the TV Show Dinosaur Revolution. The Spinosaurus is based on a National Geographic magazine. As for the rest I really don't know.

Ravonium

Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 31, 2019, 12:38:32 PM

Are there any original report about the interview with PAPO artist? I'm interested in this, but google didn't tell me more.

avatar_Mirroraptor @Mirroraptor I believe Robin is referring to the Korean interview linked here: https://blog.naver.com/eurofd/220371793092

English translations can be found in this thread (starting with reply 27): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3437.0

Dinoxels

Before carving dinosaurs, study dinosaur bones

I'm trying to make the final image that comes out dynamic.
[출처] 파포 조형사 서정운씨의 답변 - (조형사님께서 직접 수정)|작성자 PAPOKOREA

"Dynamic", so, I wonder what the sculptor thought when he made that pose for the Giganotosaurus. He did a really good job with the detail work though.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 31, 2019, 12:38:32 PM

Are there any original report about the interview with PAPO artist? I'm interested in this, but google didn't tell me more.

Papo's sculptor is Mr. Seo.
I remember that a collectors forum from Korea interviewed him at least on 2018 or 2017.
There is a link about the interview somewhere here, on DTF.
I tried to use the "search" function on DTF but there are too many replies about Papo..
Maybe you'll be more lucky (and patient) than me on research..  :)

EDIT: Ravonium already found the link.

SidB

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 07:32:09 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I understand the time, effort, and research that goes to creating (at the time) accurate models. I should state that I don't disagree withe either the statements I mentioned. I do disagree with their use as shields for reconstructions that place artistic liscense over accuracy, as many Papos do.
And of course, we can't jettison the drive for accuracy, that is for the truth of reality, over against the truth of art (which certainly has it's legitimate sphere). To abandon such would be to give up on science and invite entry into a realm of sheer subjectivISM (not subjectivity), pure chaos/ nihilism.

ChrisLikesDinos

I cannot get over how awful the Giga's pose is, it makes the figure entirely unlikable

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Dinoxels on December 31, 2019, 01:03:06 PM
Quote from: Andreioli on December 31, 2019, 12:58:34 PM
Another in-hand photo of the Giganotosaurus from Baidu:

I hate the way the neck vertebrae look. They looks like growths going down the neck.

Wasted potential 😒

Loon

I I would have honestly been more okay with it if the neck/head weren't so huge.

hao_bao

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 09:40:11 PM
I I would have honestly been more okay with it if the neck/head weren't so huge.

I would have honestly been more okay with it if it didn't exist.

Tyto_Theropod

Okay, so I'm not exactly Papo's biggest fan and I almost certainly won't be buying either of them, but may I just say that I love the colour schemes on the Velociraptor and Parasaurolophus?
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Loon

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on January 01, 2020, 04:13:19 PM
Okay, so I'm not exactly Papo's biggest fan and I almost certainly won't be buying either of them, but may I just say that I love the colour schemes on the Velociraptor and Parasaurolophus?

I'm not as big on the Parasaurolophus, I've never really cared for much for that figure in the first place, but I have to agree with you on the Velociraptor. The paint job is such an improvement, makes it a figure I actually want now. Of course, I wait for the in hand pictures.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Loon on January 01, 2020, 04:34:50 PM
Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on January 01, 2020, 04:13:19 PM

I'm not as big on the Parasaurolophus, I've never really cared for much for that figure in the first place, but I have to agree with you on the Velociraptor. The paint job is such an improvement, makes it a figure I actually want now. Of course, I wait for the in hand pictures.

I actually don't particularly like either figure  (I can appreciate the effort on the Velociraptor, but IMHO the feathers lie too tightly on the contours of the figure, if that makes sense.  It's like someone replaced a scale texture with a feather one, without thinking about how feathers, being 'poofier', change the outline of an animal).  I was just remarking on the colours and imagining what they'd look like on other figures.  As it is, I tend to value the overall figure more than its paint job (which I can always change), so as I say I probably won't be getting these myself.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Shonisaurus

I just returned to the DTF and I see with deep disappointment that the Papo 2020 giganotosaurus honestly does not meet my expectations nor is it as I would have liked. The initial prototype figure was not very promising but the new photographs show that Papo giganotosaurus is a rather poor figure in its content. I would have preferred a Papo giganotosaurus at least similar in terms of sculptural potential to the spinosaurus of the same JP-based brand. This figure is disappointing unfortunately.

Duna

In the first pics it already seemed to have a imposible too long neck, but this side pic confirms that.  :-[ In fact, if that neck was streightened, it would look most like this ... a new species of long-necked giga ...

I'm being so critic because I want someone to read this so we won't see this kind of extreme thing again.  :( I know it's Papo and I can accept extravagant poses with large teeth but with not such deformed sculpture. Acrocanthosaurus and Pentaceratops are perfect examples: fantastic sculptures in a original pose. They have done this thing before and works really well.
Giga would have been fantastically dramatic in the Collecta Carcharodontosaurus pose: lowered to the ground, head a bit down, arms spread and mouth wide open roaring.

Found a pic which represents my idea:  ;D

terrorchicken

what if they made this figure this way on purpose b/c theyre planning to make another giga with a more natural less kiddie friendly pose as a collectors limited like the spinosaurus and charge extra for it. They wouldn't do that, would they?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: terrorchicken on January 02, 2020, 08:34:17 PM
what if they made this figure this way on purpose b/c theyre planning to make another giga with a more natural less kiddie friendly pose as a collectors limited like the spinosaurus and charge extra for it. They wouldn't do that, would they?

I wish that would come true. I still trust Papo in relation to a new giganotosaurus, in relation to the rest of figures and repainted sincerely I am satisfied

Syndicate Bias

Well to be fair they know people wanted this one for years and Papo has been known to make multiple figures of their big theropods mainly the spino and rex.

That being said Giganotosaurus is on that list of the big four so I wouldn't be surprised but BUT we have to take into account that the rex and spino had that jp stuff behind them thus why Papo even bothered so much with them I don't expect them to do the same for the Giga and just treat it like their Theri and Acro.

There's still other big theropods like Carcharodontosaurus and Mapusaurus to hope for. I highly doubt they will make them right now but to say they won't bother with them in the next 10 or so years is also far fetched.

Szajmin

What if Papo wants to recreate the classic T-rex display with Giga (the pose kinda fits), and the second figure will be in attacking pose (dragging tale)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: