News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Interview with Papo sculptor (info on upcoming pieces)

Started by Dyscrasia, May 28, 2015, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyscrasia

This is a very recent interview with one of Papo's sculptor, Mr. Seo.
The Papo dinosaurs, pterosaurs, big cats and mutant animals are sculpted by him.

http://blog.naver.com/eurofd/220371793092

Unfortunately, the interview is in Korean, but there are several pics which you folks might enjoy looking at.

Since I am too lazy and not good enough to translate the whole thing, I'll just list some of the contents from the interview which might interest forum members (focused on dinosaurs).

- Inspiration: Basically he uses both scientific literature and dinosaurs depicted in mass media in order to satisfy both children and adult collectors (due to demand by Papo rather than his own decision).

- Mr. Seo says that the details of the production pieces are not on par with the prototypes, but Papo is figuring out ways to improve this issue along with warping issues for future products.

And probably the biggest question the forum members may have  ;D - Future dinosaur products;

A Baryonyx sculpt has been recently finished, and will have a relatively vibrant color scheme.

A feathered Velociraptor is currently being sculpted.

An Iguanodon will be sculpted in the near future, which will be the next herbivore dinosaur from Papo.

This is something I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED in the first place, but simply forgot to  :-[

- Mr. Seo does have plans to sculpt a Giganotosaurus, and is currently studying the differences between it and T. rex (the tub minis aren't sculpted by him though).

- However, unlike the other three mentioned dinosaurs, it is currently just a plan and it seems like he is waiting approval from Papo.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Dobber

Baryonyx and feathered velociraptor! Sounds very nice!

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tyrantqueen

That's very exciting and interesting to hear...but can't he get in serious trouble for revealing what sculpts he is working on? :o I guess since it's Korean maybe Papo won't notice...

sauroid

awesome news!

i hope he wont get into trouble for the revelations
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shadowknight1

Baryonyx sounds pretty cool.  And that feathered raptor better be pretty darn impressive to beat Carnegie's.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

DinoLord

Very cool information. I'm not surprised to see Brett Booth and Todd Marshall illustrations acting as inspiration. I'm actually pretty optimistic about the feathered Velociraptor - scaly head aside the Archaeopteryx is actually quite good in the feather department.

suspsy

Yes, the Archaeopteryx, despite its anatomical flaws, has the best sculpted feathers of any prehistoric toy I've ever seen. Hands down.

I'll almost certainly snap up the Feathered Velociraptor---although I hope it's an all-new mould and not the original with resculpted parts. Probably is all-new.

Unless the sculptor was withholding information (quite possible), it looks as though there won't be a Giganotosaurus anytime soon. Except for the upcoming miniature.

And again, I'm really psyched for the Iguanodon. It's one of those classic dinosaurs that doesn't get nearly enough plastic love.

Appalachiosaurus

I have a sick sinking feeling that the velociraptor will be a perfect example of how not to make feathered dinosaurs. I am betting it will have wings coming from its wrist, a short cat-like coat, and a scaly head. Nothing like the Archaeopteryx.

tyrantqueen

I don't have high expectations either. But if anyone is expecting accuracy from this company then they'll end up disappointed imo. I like their sculpts but I won't delude myself by thinking it will be on the same level as the Carnegie Velociraptor.

QuoteNothing like the Archaeopteryx.
Despite its beauty, even the Archie had its problems. It had a scaly head for one.

Concavenator

There are still almost 6 six months left for we to see the pictures.Come on...

Arul

Oh Dyscrasia thanks a lot for the info  :) i really hope we can do this all the time...feathered velociraptor gonna be great, in my opinion favorite co.ltd feathered velociraptor is still the best velociraptor figure ever until now. Well for the baryonyx, im very sure it will be a badass looking predator just like other papo carnivore. Oh man...this is great

tanystropheus

Excellent find, Dyscrasia  :)

..The interview mentioned something about the rationale for naming it 'young' Apatosaurus, aiming to make their prototypes somewhere between matte and gloss and a focus of bringing to the market newer dinosaurs and/or variations.

I anticipated an Iguanodon as it seems to be consistent with Papo's aesthetic. Papo may produce the definitive Iguanodon model in the market - let's hope they derive inspiration from later interpretations of Iguanodon.
Papo's focus on Baronyx serves two purposes, namely, (1) to make inroads into the collector market and (2) bypass the controversial hoopla regarding Spinosaurus gait.
Papo could also one-up Carnegie's Velociraptor, especially if they choose to give the model fuller wings. I  wrongly assumed that Papo would select Therizinosaurus as their next feathered project.
Great news, overall  :))

suspsy

I fully expect the feathered raptor to have its share of problems. I'm betting it'll still be aping the JP design, only with feathers on the neck, arms, back, and tail. Nevertheless, this is definitely a step in the right direction for Papo.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice upcoming pieces!

I'm wondering when they will be released though?  Usually a company makes it's pieces for next year a year or more in advance.  This leads me to think we won't see any of these next year or maybe at the least the Baryonyx.  If the Velociraptor is currently being sculpted it probably won't be for next year right?

Kayakasaurus

His sculpts are amazing! It looks by the color that he uses a couple different clays. I'm really excited about the Iguanodon!! I wonder if there will be any resemblance to the Disney version? I sure hope not  :P
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

DinoToyForum

Interesting stuff. I always wondered who was responsible for Papo's awesome sculpts.

Shonisaurus

Finally a new iguanodóntido ornitópodo ultimately an Iguanodon, it will be a luxury.

Moreover I wish the new baryonyx much better than Collecta.

As for the scoop that has interested me most is the velociraptor feathered, sure to be the best on the market have to be positive. As for the iguanodon ... I hope it's not Disney movie copy, please, not that.

Although not scientific as the Iguanodon dinosaur and the rest being allocated fifty percent equally to collectors and children, desire to be anything other than the iguanodon Disney.

Dinomike

Super exciting! And the quality of his original pieces - simply wow!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: