News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killekor

Quote from: Mononykus on December 28, 2019, 06:34:24 PM
Okay, let me try it,

It doesn't work in preview, lets see what happens when I post it.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: it does work when posted! And I also had punctuation before. Thank you.

You're welcome!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Syndicate Bias

The Giga hurts my soul

hao_bao

Yeah after being a faithful Papo collector from the days of the green Rex and brown raptor and owning every model to date, even the vulgar Amargasaurus, I think I'm going to bow out and sell off my collection, all thanks to the Giga, the horrible paint job and false advertising on my overpriced 'limited edition' Spino, and their persistent refusal to make a Gallimimus. It's been a good run Papo, but I can't follow you down this road anymore.

Invicta Hunter

Quote from: hao_bao on December 30, 2019, 01:36:17 AM
Yeah after being a faithful Papo collector from the days of the green Rex and brown raptor and owning every model to date, even the vulgar Amargasaurus, I think I'm going to bow out and sell off my collection, all thanks to the Giga, the horrible paint job and false advertising on my overpriced 'limited edition' Spino, and their persistent refusal to make a Gallimimus. It's been a good run Papo, but I can't follow you down this road anymore.

Im with you on this.
The new spino was the one that really annoyed me to the point of not wanting to buy anymore Papo's again and to start selling all of my collection.

Syndicate Bias

While I do agree with you both I must insist on those spicy Ceratosaurus figures.

I'll take them   8)

Duna

I haven't received my Papo spinosaurus yet and I'm already a bit disappointed that it is not painted as the prototype (Pentaceratops and Theri were wonderfully painted). I know it is going to be surely a very nice figure but in the deep of my heart I know that we may have been "cheated" by a fantastic prototype and the hurry to make the paintjob faster (or easier or ...).
Most of my small Papo collection have been replaced by most accurate figures and moved from my display cabinet and will go for my children to play, I was about to resell them, but they are much better than those I had to play when I was younger. They may not be accurate, but the details are fantastic in most of them :) The figures that will have (forever) a space in my collection are: Acrocanthosaurus (for me the best Papo figure), Therizinosaurus, Pentaceratops and Ceratosaurus. And of course the first figures I bought with my own money: the standing T-rex, spinosaurus and velociraptor. And of course 2020 spinosarus, though not painted as the prototype, still a top figure.

RobinGoodfellow

..well, for sure I'm not a fan of Papo..
I have the new limited edition Spinosaurus in hands.
Maybe it's not painted as prototype but definitively I can't say that it's sloppy painted or horrible.
The new Spino is an impressive figure., very well painted and really pleasant on the eyes.
if I had to choose an horrible figure from Papo then I would choose Amargasaurus for sure (probably the worst dino that Papo ever created).
Perhaps the all "limited edition" thing is questionable and the model is a bit overpriced.. I can agree on that..
But I can't define the new Spino a bad figure: it's the opposite.

That's only my opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholders..

:)

hao_bao

Quote from: Duna on December 30, 2019, 10:15:56 AM
I haven't received my Papo spinosaurus yet and I'm already a bit disappointed that it is not painted as the prototype (Pentaceratops and Theri were wonderfully painted). I know it is going to be surely a very nice figure but in the deep of my heart I know that we may have been "cheated" by a fantastic prototype and the hurry to make the paintjob faster (or easier or ...).
Most of my small Papo collection have been replaced by most accurate figures and moved from my display cabinet and will go for my children to play, I was about to resell them, but they are much better than those I had to play when I was younger. They may not be accurate, but the details are fantastic in most of them :) The figures that will have (forever) a space in my collection are: Acrocanthosaurus (for me the best Papo figure), Therizinosaurus, Pentaceratops and Ceratosaurus. And of course the first figures I bought with my own money: the standing T-rex, spinosaurus and velociraptor. And of course 2020 spinosarus, though not painted as the prototype, still a top figure.

I still think there are more good than bad figures, but when they're bad, they're REALLY bad. Maybe we've been spoiled, I may need to just get rid of the crap ones and focus on the highlights. It would make my dioramas less cluttered for sure.

SidB

Agreed, though if you want to go to transcendently baaad, then look at Schleich's replicasaurus Ceratosaurus (IMO the worst dinosaur ever churned out, or their most recent Allosaurus, for example. Yes, sometimes less is more - more space, better separation between figures for optimum emphasis, etc.  Clutter is the curse of the collector.

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 30, 2019, 10:41:27 AM
..well, for sure I'm not a fan of Papo..
I have the new limited edition Spinosaurus in hands.
Maybe it's not painted as prototype but definitively I can't say that it's sloppy painted or horrible.
The new Spino is an impressive figure., very well painted and really pleasant on the eyes.
if I had to choose an horrible figure from Papo then I would choose Amargasaurus for sure (probably the worst dino that Papo ever created).
Perhaps the all "limited edition" thing is questionable and the model is a bit overpriced.. I can agree on that..
But I can't define the new Spino a bad figure: it's the opposite.

That's only my opinion and beauty is in the eye of the beholders..

:)

I couldn't agree more. Papo has always been a hit or miss with me. There are some figures I just couldn't understand the poses. The new Spinosaurus however is completely fine in my eyes. Yeah the teeth are a bit oversized, it should've probably been a bit cheaper and the whole limited edition thing is just marketing. When it comes to the paint however it may not be as nice as promotional photos but it's still probably painted better than most Papo figures I own.  I'll take this Spinosaurus over a figure like the new Giganotosaurus any day.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: imnewhere on December 27, 2019, 03:56:40 AM
Has anyone actually made a list of all the (generally speaking) scientifically accurate Papo models??? if not can someone  O:-)
nothing is completley accurate. But my top picks will be:

Ceratosaurus(but proportions are slightly off)
Carnotaurus( but the head is a little to deep and thick)
Pentaceratops(but the claws)
Styracosaurus(but claws and sharp osteoderms)
Spinosaurus(Old and new both have their strengths and weaknesses, as we barely know about this behemoth)
Gorgosaurus(Pose is slightly off though)
Stegosaurus(but the tail is slightly off)
Pachyrhinosaurus(but shrinkwrapping
Acrocanthosaurus(very accurate)
Feathered velo( the head is slightly off)
Dimetrodon(Im not sure)
All their mammals(not sure)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Carnotaurus had a flexible skull so it could expand like a snake. I always consider that.

Szajmin

QuoteCeratosaurus(but proportions are slightly off)
Spinosaurus(Old and new both have their strengths and weaknesses, as we barely know about this behemoth)
Pachyrhinosaurus(but shrinkwrapping)

What about fethered Velociraptor and Acrocanthosaurus, are they much worse that those you listed?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Szajmin on December 30, 2019, 10:38:44 PM
QuoteCeratosaurus(but proportions are slightly off)
Pachyrhinosaurus(but shrinkwrapping)

What about fethered Velociraptor and Acrocanthosaurus, are they much worse that those you listed?
Oh man, i forgot.

Shadowknight1

Man, I just got in my Spinosaurus and I really don't get the complaints.  This guy is a beast and the colors look really nice.  That said, I doubt that the Giga would redeem itself.  But I'm really looking forward to the Stygimoloch.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Szajmin

QuoteOh man, i forgot.

I think that Quetzalcoatlus, Tupuxuara, Archeopteryx, Iguanodon are also quiute ok, however first two are not dinosaur.

Dimorphodon is maybe to much of a monster.  Pteranodon is classing looking.
I do not know what to think about Therizinosaurus.

There are also few prehistoric mammals (exept maybe for maned smilodon, but maybe its just speculative paleoart), dimetrodon that are accurate (as for papo standards)

Patrx

I don't think any Papo dinosaurs are the most "accurate" toys of their genus available.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Szajmin on December 31, 2019, 12:22:07 AM
QuoteOh man, i forgot.

I think that Quetzalcoatlus, Tupuxuara, Archeopteryx, Iguanodon are also quiute ok, however first two are not dinosaur.

Dimorphodon is maybe to much of a monster.  Pteranodon is classing looking.
I do not know what to think about Therizinosaurus.

There are also few prehistoric mammals (exept maybe for maned smilodon, but maybe its just speculative paleoart), dimetrodon that are accurate (as for papo standards)

Papo Pteranodon has teeth while the real Pteranodon was toothless.
Papo Dimetrodon is very reptilian; the real Dimetrodon wasn't a reptile but an early synapsid (a stem mammal).
Probably Dimetrodon was like this:

And so on; Patrx is right:

Quote from: Patrx on December 31, 2019, 12:41:05 AM
I don't think any Papo dinosaurs are the most "accurate" toys of their genus available.

-

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 30, 2019, 10:19:43 PM
Carnotaurus had a flexible skull so it could expand like a snake. I always consider that.
Just noticed this post, wait WHAT.  That's so bizarre!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Takama

Lets all face the facts

Papo Never Strives for Scientific Accuracy.

any instance where it seems like they are, is pure coincindence.   

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: