News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Interesting speculation.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Szajmin on January 02, 2020, 10:31:55 PM
What if Papo wants to recreate the classic T-rex display with Giga (the pose kinda fits), and the second figure will be in attacking pose (dragging tale)

This can be achieved with the mini papo giga that's dragging its tail actually.

KeU

Quote from: Duna on January 02, 2020, 01:42:12 PM
Found a pic which represents my idea:  ;D

The style looks really familiar but I can't put a finger on who exactly did this piece.
Do you know who the artist is?

Mattyonyx

Quote from: KeU on January 03, 2020, 01:21:49 PM

The style looks really familiar but I can't put a finger on who exactly did this piece.

RJ Palmer

suspsy

Quote from: Mattyonyx on January 03, 2020, 01:41:57 PM
Quote from: KeU on January 03, 2020, 01:21:49 PM

RJ Palmer

That's a really great piece of paleoart, but any theropod toy based on that pose is almost certainly not going to stand up properly without a base.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Duna

Quote from: suspsy on January 03, 2020, 02:12:27 PM
That's a really great piece of paleoart, but any theropod toy based on that pose is almost certainly not going to stand up properly without a base.
Why not? Maybe not exactly like that, but take Papo ceratosaurus and Collecta Carcharodontosaurus for example, which are very stable.
If you lower too much the head to resemble the drawing, you must put both feet in the same line (as Papo ceratosaurus), it's imposible to have it walking like the Carcharodontosaurus (which holds head higher), because head is too heavy.
Then just spread the arms to look more menacing, lower it to the ground and use a straight long tail to balance (the curved tail of the drawing is imposible to balance, that's true).

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Duna on January 03, 2020, 02:36:53 PM
Why not? Maybe not exactly like that, but take Papo ceratosaurus and Collecta Carcharodontosaurus for example, which are very stable.

..mine had been stable for a year (or so..).. now it is not.. anymore.. sorry but Suspy is right..  :-\
And I'm very curious about Papo Ceratosaurus and Papo Acrocanthosaurus in the next years..  ;)
Unfortunately I have a long list of Papo figures that cannot stand up properly anymore..  :-[

Loon

Well, the Papo Ceratosaurus is sculpted with one hand touching the ground as well. So, should be ok.

stargatedalek

I think you are underestimating the perspective in the image. The head is easily twice the size it should be compared to the body, which is at least twice as long as it should be relative to the tail, which is both too short and too thin. The legs also look compressed and short.

Avian

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 03, 2020, 03:19:51 PM
Quote from: Duna on January 03, 2020, 02:36:53 PM

..mine had been stable for a year (or so..).. now it is not.. anymore.. sorry but Suspy is right..  :-\
And I'm very curious about Papo Ceratosaurus and Papo Acrocanthosaurus in the next years..  ;)
Unfortunately I have a long list of Papo figures that cannot stand up properly anymore..  :-[

Same thing happened to my Battat Cryolophosaurus. I got it about 2 years ago and it could stand without the tail when I bought it. But now I have to rest it on its tail to make a tripod pose...  :(
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

hao_bao

They could put a counterweight inside its tail.

Takama

On account of bases, i actaully suggested to a company on facebook that some collectors would prefer more proprtioned figures with bases, as opposed to ones with oversized feet.

I know oversized feet is not the Papos Giganotosaurus issue here, but what this company said may speak for all the others, rather we like it or not. :(

Quotebecause  adding a base reduces retail sales by 65 - 70%. It ceases to be a toy and becomes an ornament. It has to be commercially viable

I will not say which company said that, but its on there pubilc facebook page. And im sure every one of these enttitys has this mentalitility

stargatedalek

I'm not surprised, and frankly I agree.

I miss the tripod figures of the late Carnegie days. They definitely got repetitive, but they worked well as a middle ground between stability and play ability. They also encouraged properly long tails stretched out behind in at least a semi-naturalistic pose.

SidB

Quote from: Takama on January 04, 2020, 02:20:35 AM
On account of bases, i actaully suggested to a company on facebook that some collectors would prefer more proprtioned figures with bases, as opposed to ones with oversized feet.

I know oversized feet is not the Papos Giganotosaurus issue here, but what this company said may speak for all the others, rather we like it or not. :(

Quotebecause  adding a base reduces retail sales by 65 - 70%. It ceases to be a toy and becomes an ornament. It has to be commercially viable

I will not say which company said that, but its on there pubilc facebook page. And im sure every one of these enttitys has this mentalitility
Makes me wonder how the Safari Giganotosaurus with base did saleswise. I always liked how the base allowed the feet to be precisely located on a strongly striding animal without compromise. A world removed from the Papo Giga.

Duna

I agree totally with them. I do not buy figures with fixed bases and never ever will, not at all, even if they are the most accurate model. I do not think that with them the figures become an ornament, I just hate them very much, what I really like is to take the figure, feel the feet, look at it under, the legs, the belly, the balance. Every new figure that comes with base is a figure I won't buy. I understand also the children point of view.
And it does not have to have really oversized feet to stand perfectly on two legs: just take Eofauna giganotosaurus for example. The feet are not really enlarged (only a very slightly as Eofauna said), they look proportionate and it's a very stable figure (and if not, hot water and it will keep stable because the weight is well balanced). Mine rests perfectly on one foot and the tip of the other (this figure does not even need the other foot on the ground!). In fact, the figure that keeps falling over and over again is my Papo oviraptor (which is a tripod with the egg) and the Safari feathered Rex. The figure is so heavy that if I let it on two legs, it will keep falling all the time, in spite of the many repositions I've done to it. Now it rests permanently with the snout against the glass, so when I take it out to play with it, it stands well on two legs. However, I wouldn't change that figure for a fixed based version, not even think of it.

I now most figures on bipedal position have quite oversized feet (as Safari carnotaurus), but most of them have them only slightly and look nice for me.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Duna on January 04, 2020, 12:21:25 PM
I agree totally with them. I do not buy figures with fixed bases and never ever will, not at all, even if they are the most accurate model. I do not think that with them the figures become an ornament, I just hate them very much, what I really like is to take the figure, feel the feet, look at it under, the legs, the belly, the balance. Every new figure that comes with base is a figure I won't buy. I understand also the children point of view.
And it does not have to have really oversized feet to stand perfectly on two legs: just take Eofauna giganotosaurus for example. The feet are not really enlarged (only a very slightly as Eofauna said), they look proportionate and it's a very stable figure (and if not, hot water and it will keep stable because the weight is well balanced). Mine rests perfectly on one foot and the tip of the other (this figure does not even need the other foot on the ground!). In fact, the figure that keeps falling over and over again is my Papo oviraptor (which is a tripod with the egg) and the Safari feathered Rex. The figure is so heavy that if I let it on two legs, it will keep falling all the time, in spite of the many repositions I've done to it. Now it rests permanently with the snout against the glass, so when I take it out to play with it, it stands well on two legs. However, I wouldn't change that figure for a fixed based version, not even think of it.

I now most figures on bipedal position have quite oversized feet (as Safari carnotaurus), but most of them have them only slightly and look nice for me.

There is only one thing I've learned from guys on DTF: every single collector is different.
Someone hates bases, someone loves them.
Someone doesn't like oversized feet at all, someone likes more "stability".
Someone adores scientific accuracy, someone prefers some "artistic license" or a spectacular-looking figure.
Someone loves JP/JW toys, someone loves polystone models.
Someone likes vintage figures, someone likes "brand-new" creations.
Someone loves Papo, someone just don't like this brand at all.
Etc etc etc...
That's the funny thing about this hobby.  ;D

Duna

Yes, that's it.  ^-^
Just buy what you want. The good thing is that companies do listen to customers and/or sales: less fixed bases, more for me to choose.   :)

SidB

Quote from: Duna on January 04, 2020, 01:17:54 PM
Yes, that's it.  ^-^
Just buy what you want. The good thing is that companies do listen to customers and/or sales: less fixed bases, more for me to choose.   :)
Perhaps the best attempt to satisfy all parties are the removable bases offered by Favorite and PNSO. It seems to remain a bit of an ideal though, since as we have experienced, sometimes these figures still topple anyways. Don't see Papo going to this approach any time soon.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 04, 2020, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: Duna on January 04, 2020, 12:21:25 PM

There is only one thing I've learned from guys on DTF: every single collector is different.
Someone hates bases, someone loves them.
Someone doesn't like oversized feet at all, someone likes more "stability".
Someone adores scientific accuracy, someone prefers some "artistic license" or a spectacular-looking figure.
Someone loves JP/JW toys, someone loves polystone models.
Someone likes vintage figures, someone likes "brand-new" creations.
Someone loves Papo, someone just don't like this brand at all.
Etc etc etc...
That's the funny thing about this hobby.  ;D

I honestly agree with you, I thought I was the only one who liked the theropods with fixed bases like the Safari giganotosaurus. Honestly I would like totally "hybrid" toys among the PVC toy (since a PVC figure is still a toy no matter how well it is done as it happens with Eofauna) and collecting figures such as prehistoric polyresin or resin animals but with a soft, resistant, solid material and most importantly in my case without articulated jaws or articulated body parts with fixed bases for theropods that avoid dinosaur figures with "clown feet" and beautifully sculpted and scientific (the ones that most I like them) or not like dinosaurs based on the JW and JP movies, as with the figures of Eofauna, Favorite and PNSO (scientists), Rebor (scientists and science fiction) and Nanmu and even Papo (figures based on JP and JW), with the nuances that they are without articulated jaws and without artificial and unnatural positions as happens with Papo's giganotosaurus, a figure that is very detailed and sculpted although it is e n the antipodes of genius to other figures of the Papo brand such as spinosaurus theropods limited version (as I have repeated in another post), gorgosaurus and even its great therizinosaurus.

At least they could have made a giganotosaurus respecting the canons of the Papo brand but with a cool posture like that of the chilesaurus that is honestly a pretty figure at first sight (we must see the figure physically). Also, the giganotosaurus would have been with the same tyrannosaurus stance running and the JP-based spinosaurus would have been a success on the part of the Papo brand from the commercial point of view, but it will not be me who tells them what they have to do, it is Just a humble suggestion.

But what has been said is still a toy figure and I sincerely like Papo's philosophy, although honestly this beautiful and immense South American theropod (Papo giganotosaurus) is not what I like the most this year and perhaps it is his weakest figure.

Duna

Quote from: SidB on January 04, 2020, 02:17:10 PM
Perhaps the best attempt to satisfy all parties are the removable bases offered by Favorite and PNSO. It seems to remain a bit of an ideal though, since as we have experienced, sometimes these figures still topple anyways. Don't see Papo going to this approach any time soon.
I agree totally with you. ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: