News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu Studio - New for 2020

Started by Loon, December 05, 2019, 05:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: Takama on August 25, 2020, 12:44:57 AM
Do the BBTS Ones come with the Art Cards as well?

It does. It came in a big long BBTS shipper box with a plain cardboard box inside, then the white box with the Mosasaur graphics inside that.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

My "film" or pop culture collection :

I'll be adding the "Dinosaur" Carnotaurus to this as well.

Updated Nanmu shelf :

Getting two cards now instead of one.

Shonisaurus

Nanmu's tyrannosaurus is very pretty, but the mosasaurus is huge! it is longer than a day without bread. Every day I like that prehistoric marine reptile more. Thanks for sharing the pictures avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , congratulations on having both figures.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shonisaurus on August 25, 2020, 08:52:18 AM
Nanmu's tyrannosaurus is very pretty, but the mosasaurus is huge! it is longer than a day without bread. Every day I like that prehistoric marine reptile more. Thanks for sharing the pictures avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , congratulations on having both figures.

Thanks, the Mosa is a BEAST!   I ordered the three Rex deal they had up. Kinda irked the "Buck" is still just a repainted female but oh well. The paint and detail is superb.  I have the translucent one too.  All three needed the hairdryer treatment to correct their feet and be able to stand.  The translucent one doesn't even have a structure inside to help it stand or so I was told by Lana. I recommended an optional clear disc with a peg to help with standing.

AMXPL

Does anyone have a green t-rex Nanmu?
Can I get pictures of his eyes?
Are they green, with light dark blurry paint?

SenSx

Quote from: AMXPL on August 25, 2020, 03:02:12 PM

I think they are supposed to be just yellow.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 25, 2020, 02:35:13 PM

Thanks, the Mosa is a BEAST!   I ordered the three Rex deal they had up. Kinda irked the "Buck" is still just a repainted female but oh well. The paint and detail is superb.  I have the translucent one too.  All three needed the hairdryer treatment to correct their feet and be able to stand.  The translucent one doesn't even have a structure inside to help it stand or so I was told by Lana. I recommended an optional clear disc with a peg to help with standing.

Very nice display with Jurassic park vibes.
It indeed really show how long the mosasaurus is.

So your other rexes do not stand ?
I think migth want to contact your seller if you can't fix this, as an exemple Lana only accept returns for products whithin 7 days.

Blade-of-the-Moon

yellow green but def more yellow.  The female's is yellow with a bit of orange.

Quote from: SenSx on August 25, 2020, 03:29:08 PM

I think they are supposed to be just yellow.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 25, 2020, 02:35:13 PM

Very nice display with Jurassic park vibes.
It indeed really show how long the mosasaurus is.

So your other rexes do not stand ?
I think migth want to contact your seller if you can't fix this, as an exemple Lana only accept returns for products whithin 7 days.

Yeah  I did immediately. Gave a small partial refund since I was able to fix them with a high setting on the hairdryer and time.

mgaguilar

Where is everyone getting their Nanmu Tyrannosaurs? Mine from BBTS has yet to ship.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: mgaguilar on August 26, 2020, 12:18:54 AM
Where is everyone getting their Nanmu Tyrannosaurs? Mine from BBTS has yet to ship.

Lana

Over9K

Quote from: Takama on August 25, 2020, 12:44:57 AM
Do the BBTS Ones come with the Art Cards as well?

Identical packaging and contents to other retailers. It seems Nanmu lowered their pricing, because Dan'sDinosaurs is offering prices close to BBTS.

Remko

I recieved the Nanmu 1/35th Apatosaurus today. What a beast!

It's my first Nanmu model, so I can't really compare it to their other models.
I'm also not planning on other Nanmu figures at the moment. The Mosasaurus looks ugly. JW accurate sure, but that design is a monstrosity, and has nothing to do with the real animal.
I can not, in good conscience and as someone living in the Netherlands where the first Mosasaurus was discovered, accept that thing in my house.  8)

But the Apatosaurus looks great. Although the head looks a bit large and the nostrils aren't on the top of the head as they should be. But it will be a good match to pose with my large Shapeways Allosaurus figure.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Remko on August 27, 2020, 02:21:17 PM
I recieved the Nanmu 1/35th Apatosaurus today. What a beast!

It's my first Nanmu model, so I can't really compare it to their other models.
I'm also not planning on other Nanmu figures at the moment. The Mosasaurus looks ugly. JW accurate sure, but that design is a monstrosity, and has nothing to do with the real animal.
I can not, in good conscience and as someone living in the Netherlands where the first Mosasaurus was discovered, accept that thing in my house.  8)

But the Apatosaurus looks great. Although the head looks a bit large and the nostrils aren't on the top of the head as they should be. But it will be a good match to pose with my large Shapeways Allosaurus figure.

Nanmu apatosaurus, is it bigger than Schleich's apatosaurus for example? Could the size be similar to huanghetitan? If it is as big as the huanghetitan feeling very sorry I would not buy it. A massive apatosaurus is beautiful, but it can't fit on medium-sized shelves.

Remko

It's similar in size to the large Carnegie diplodocus. It's about as long as the PNSO Huanghetitan, but that figure is much taller and heavier set. The Apatosaurus is much more gracile.

Size is about 76 cm long, as figured, including the curved tail. It's longer across the spine.
Width is about 8 cm over the hips and 17 cm tall to the top of the head.

Additionally, Apatosaurus head was about 55 cm long. This would scale to 16 mm in 1/35th. But the Nanmu figure has a HUGE head, measuring 35 mm long, which would scale to 122,5 cm in real life.

I understand the difference, such a small head would look comically on such a huge body. But hey, nature...  ;)
And of course this figure is more or less based on the "Jurassic World" Apatosaurus, and those dinosaurs are, as we all know, not very anatomically correct.
If I was a goods culptor or could find a true 1/35th scale head, I would change it.

Funny thing, each of these Jurassic World animals has a figure from the movie for scale. The Apatosaurus comes with Dr. Henry Wu. But here's where Nanmu screwed up. The figure is 52 mm tall (not including feet supportplate), which scales to app. 186 cm in 1/35th scale. But actor B.D. Wong is only 165 cm tall in real life, which would scale to 47 mm in 1/35th.  ;D

Carnoking

Did I miss something or are the nostrils not supposed to be on the top of the head anyway?

Shonisaurus

R @Remko I figured that apatosaurus would be impressive in size but I had my doubts, that's why I asked you. Thanks for the info!!!! It is an impressively good figure but if it is as you describe it is too big for me, if I had enough space I would put it huanghetitan, but I have no space for it unfortunately.

Remko

Quote from: Carnoking on August 27, 2020, 10:49:43 PM
Did I miss something or are the nostrils not supposed to be on the top of the head anyway?

The fleshy nostrils should be on top of the head, right above the eyes, following the latest science. But on the model they are more towards the nose.

Flaffy

Quote from: Remko on August 27, 2020, 11:36:15 PM

The fleshy nostrils should be on top of the head, right above the eyes, following the latest science. But on the model they are more towards the nose.

Source?

Remko

Quote from: Flaffy on August 28, 2020, 02:27:04 AM
Quote from: Remko on August 27, 2020, 11:36:15 PM

Source?

Mark Hallett has written an article about it in the Prehistoric Times issue #134.
https://www.magzter.com/article/Science/Prehistoric-Times/THE-FACE-OF-DIPLODOCUS-Nostril-Placement-in-Sauropod-Dinosaurs

Also:
"The Sauropod Dinosaurs: Life in the Age of Giants", (Mark Hallett & Matthew J. Wendel, Johns Hopkins University Press 2016)
"Biology of the Sauropod Dinosaurs: Understanding the Life of Giants", (Indiana University Press 2011)

But I'll admit that, as in feathery T. rex vs. scaly T. rex, the debate is probably not over about this.
I for one am in the "external nares on top of the skull" camp. Also because new evidence suggest that sauropods might have had beaks.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/10/giant-sauropod-dinosaurs-may-have-sported-turtlelike-beaks

Flaffy

Quote from: Remko on August 28, 2020, 08:07:00 AM
Mark Hallett has written an article about it in the Prehistoric Times issue #134.
https://www.magzter.com/article/Science/Prehistoric-Times/THE-FACE-OF-DIPLODOCUS-Nostril-Placement-in-Sauropod-Dinosaurs

Also:
"The Sauropod Dinosaurs: Life in the Age of Giants", (Mark Hallett & Matthew J. Wendel, Johns Hopkins University Press 2016)
"Biology of the Sauropod Dinosaurs: Understanding the Life of Giants", (Indiana University Press 2011)

But I'll admit that, as in feathery T. rex vs. scaly T. rex, the debate is probably not over about this.
I for one am in the "external nares on top of the skull" camp. Also because new evidence suggest that sauropods might have had beaks.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/10/giant-sauropod-dinosaurs-may-have-sported-turtlelike-beaks

Intriguing! However, the full Prehistoric Times text seems to be locked behind a paywall (?, unless if those few paragraphs is indeed the entire article).

From the accessible text, it gives limited arguments other than "how to keep breathing while drinking". Which is a weird argument since animals that have their nares positioned at the tip of their snout do not have any difficulty drinking, so why would sauropods specifically be the exception? And even if there was an issue, why couldn't the sauropod simply hold their breathe temporarily while performing the act?

Personally, I'm more partial to Mark Witton's take on sauropod nostril placement:

"Many readers will know that the long-held notion of sauropod nostrils being placed at the top of their skulls has been challenged through careful analysis of their bony nasal anatomy (Witmer 2001). It seems that the obvious nasal openings atop sauropod skulls are only the 'internal' apertures of a larger nasal complex which covered most of their snouts. These are especially obvious in some taxa, like Giraffatitan (below), but are also evident in diplodocids. Knowing this, we can move the position of the nostrils to the front of the snout, at the anterior limit of the nasal region. This isn't an arbitrary decision: virtually all reptile nostrils are located at the front of their nasal skeleton, so sauropods would be weird if they didn't do this (Witmer 2001)."

And as for supposed sauropod "beaks", it would consist of keratinised-tissue on the tip of their jaws rather than a proper, turtle-like beak. I don't see how this supports the nares being positioned on the top of the skull.

diplodocus reconstruction by Gabriel N. U.

Foxngn

I see ceratosaurus is up for Pre-Order.
In your guys opinion, is this a good grab?

For me the color seems great, but there just seems something off with this model that I can't think of is what.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: