News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA 2021 Hopes and Dreams

Started by Loon, December 23, 2019, 12:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Loon on July 16, 2020, 09:31:18 PM
Quote from: indohyus on July 16, 2020, 06:50:24 PM
I just want prehistoric mammals back. Sivatherium would be good
^This

Can we have a year that's just mammals? I'm talking a Colombian Mammoth, a Moeritherium, maybe, finally, a decently sized Megatherium, for once.

While I personally would enjoy that, especially if the assortment contained Megatherium, Arctotherium, Sivatherium, and Gigantopithecus, along with a Cenozoic bird and a reptile such as Argentavis and Titanoboa, I don't believe CollectA is that gutsy!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

Erythosuchus, Rhizodus, Hyneria, Jakelopterus, Fasolasuchus, or a large 1:40 scale sauropod(hollow because its more convinent and cheap).

Maybe:Megatherium, Reworked Rajasaurus, Collecta deluxe t rex reskin(now with bird like scales instead of feathers), a new and larger stegosaurus, and Shonisaurus

Ceratosaurus blogspot

For 2021, I think Collecta should be concerned with relaunching its old and outdated models, rather than launching new dinosaurs.
As with some dinosaurs this year (Mapusaurus, Barionyx, Allosaurus, Diplodocus), Collecta could re-launch dinosaurs such as Cetiosaurus, Rebbachisaurus, Corythosaurus and Lexovisaurus on the standard scale; and 1:40 scale Lambeosaurus, Tsintaosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Nothronychus.
Dinosaurs like Megalosaurus, Majungasaurus, Dilophosaurus would be warmly welcomed at the 1:40 scale. And why not an update on Altispinax Dunkeri, former Becklespinax?
I think it is very necessary to upgrade the old models.  :)

suspsy

Personally, I'd enjoy an assortment of nothing but new versions of old toys. All those genera you listed definitely need them. However, I'm not so sure many people would be as keen. A big part of CollectA's appeal is their propensity for making toys of recently discovered genera (Borealopelta, Lisowicia, Regaliceratops) or reconstructions (Deinocheirus, Spinosaurus). I think their present formula of one or two new versions per year is a good one.

Also, Altispinax is pretty fragmentary.

Leyster

Whatever they'll do, I hope they'll learn how to proper muscle theropod hindlegs. Along with the crazy painting, it's what stopped me to really collect them: they seem to lack the caudofemoralis entirely and, in some recent models like the Allosaurus, the leg is disturbingly humanlike. Here is a graph by Brian Engh (www.dontmesswithdinosaurs.com), Collecta seems to have stopped at 80's-90's, but there is a true disturbing quality in their hindlimbs I couldn't properly focus, as I don't really stop myself from appreciate Carnegies and Battats, that have '90 styled legs. I think Collecta might be wrong even for 80's-90's.

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Quote from: suspsy on August 03, 2020, 02:09:06 PM
Personally, I'd enjoy an assortment of nothing but new versions of old toys. All those genera you listed definitely need them. However, I'm not so sure many people would be as keen. A big part of CollectA's appeal is their propensity for making toys of recently discovered genera (Borealopelta, Lisowicia, Regaliceratops) or reconstructions (Deinocheirus, Spinosaurus). I think their present formula of one or two new versions per year is a good one.

Also, Altispinax is pretty fragmentary.

Yes, Altispinax is extremely fragmented, which has created confusion in its name.
Here is the version of Geoworld that I customized (posture and painting):

Sim

L @Leyster, CollectA's theropods tend to have strangely thin hindlimbs.  I'm not sure that's enough to stop me buying them, but I would like to see them improve in this area, same with their tiptoeing pterosaurs.

I haven't bought any CollectA figures yet, and I don't think that will change unless they make some more dromaeosaurids or some troodontids.  C @Ceratosaurus blogspot, for this reason I wouldn't be keen on CollectA only releasing new versions of species they've previously done.  I would be happy to see a new Velociraptor or Utahraptor from them, but I'd also like to see some new dromaeosaurids or troodontids.  Regarding the species you mentioned, Kentrosaurus and Megalosaurus would be interesting; Dilophosaurus and Majungasaurus have already got good 1:35 scale versions new for 2020; and Lexovisaurus and Altispinax are too fragmentary to be worth making in my opinion.  Perhaps CollectA can do a mix of species they have and haven't done before?

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Quote from: Sim on August 03, 2020, 05:28:09 PM
L @Leyster, CollectA's theropods tend to have strangely thin hindlimbs.  I'm not sure that's enough to stop me buying them, but I would like to see them improve in this area, same with their tiptoeing pterosaurs.

I haven't bought any CollectA figures yet, and I don't think that will change unless they make some more dromaeosaurids or some troodontids.  C @Ceratosaurus blogspot, for this reason I wouldn't be keen on CollectA only releasing new versions of species they've previously done.  I would be happy to see a new Velociraptor or Utahraptor from them, but I'd also like to see some new dromaeosaurids or troodontids.  Regarding the species you mentioned, Kentrosaurus and Megalosaurus would be interesting; Dilophosaurus and Majungasaurus have already got good 1:35 scale versions new for 2020; and Lexovisaurus and Altispinax are too fragmentary to be worth making in my opinion.  Perhaps CollectA can do a mix of species they have and haven't done before?

Yes! To relaunch two species of the old versions together with new species, would be very plausible.

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Well, based on this video, I think it is very likely that we will have a new Collecta dilophosaurus for 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib1TE928Z0w

suspsy

Faelrin

I think it would be very interesting to see a new take on it from them, if not a revised Spinosaurus as well. Considering how quick they were to get figures of Bajadasaurus, Lisowicia, and Saltriovenator, etc made it certainly seems possible.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Leyster

Quote from: Sim on August 03, 2020, 05:28:09 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. I agree with your thoughts about the species too, but I think a Dilophosaurus (based on the new study) may be interesting. Safari's one has sadly been made outdated in a few months after its release. Even if I'm not entirely sure that Collecta is the better choice to tackle the new Dilophosaurus, the study shows a quite robust beast and Collecta's theropods are always on the lean side.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

I have to say I don't see how Safari's recent Dilophosaurus is inaccurate.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Sim on August 04, 2020, 03:04:55 PM
avatar_Sim @Sim The bottom jaw is too slender and crests are too small and outdated.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

suspsy

Dilophosaurus wasn't anywhere near as robust as many later theropods. I reckon that if CollectA does have one in store for next year, it'll be a great one.

My biggest beef about the 2020 Safari toy is how disappointingly tiny it is. You could almost mistake it for a PNSO miniature.

Halichoeres

If they're going to remake old figures, I would like them to start with the Ornithocheirus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

If we're remaking species, I'd love to see them take another shot at this Dr. Suess reject:

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Leyster on August 03, 2020, 03:33:17 PM
Whatever they'll do, I hope they'll learn how to proper muscle theropod hindlegs. Along with the crazy painting, it's what stopped me to really collect them: they seem to lack the caudofemoralis entirely and, in some recent models like the Allosaurus, the leg is disturbingly humanlike. Here is a graph by Brian Engh (www.dontmesswithdinosaurs.com), Collecta seems to have stopped at 80's-90's, but there is a true disturbing quality in their hindlimbs I couldn't properly focus, as I don't really stop myself from appreciate Carnegies and Battats, that have '90 styled legs. I think Collecta might be wrong even for 80's-90's.

The example of 60-70s actually looks fine. That Allosaurus painting it's based on still holds up. Drumsticks could be more defined but in the original painting it looks more like the lower leg is extra chunky rather than the upper legs is too skinny...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Ceratosaurus blogspot

There are several models that they need to update. Some old models have the body and structure it very similar to each other (Cryolophosaurus, Neovenator, Eustreptospondylus, Becklespinax, Allosaurus). Other models were terribly sculpted (Rebbachisaurus, Majungasaurus, Dilophosaurus, Lexovisaurus, Kentrosaurus, Nothronychus, Pachyrhinosaurus) while others are very poorly painted (Lourinhanosaurus, Corythosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Liliensternus, Muttaburrasaurus, Ouranosaurus, Wuerhosaurus). The list is long. If they relaunch 2 or 4 models a year, in 5 years we will have 10 or 20 models reviewed. I hope Collecta thinks about it.

Leyster

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 05, 2020, 12:14:44 AM
The example of 60-70s actually looks fine. That Allosaurus painting it's based on still holds up. Drumsticks could be more defined but in the original painting it looks more like the lower leg is extra chunky rather than the upper legs is too skinny...
That's because the author applied a reptilian-like lower leg proportions, with the zeugopodium as muscled as the stylopodium, while in neotheropods the lower leg is sharped more like a bird's.
Quote from: Sim on August 04, 2020, 03:04:55 PM
The crest should extend to the nasal area, be higher and cheratinized, and the build is too much like that of an upscaled Coelophysis, a theropod that is not really related to Dilophosaurus. Some skeletals in progess based on the new study shows more tetanuran like proportions.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: