News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 30, 2013, 05:06:16 AM
Maybe the first one is an Allosaur ?

Given the small horn on its snout, I would hazard it to be a very old-school ornitholestes (given the really poor representations from the Imperial toy figures, I doubt they put much effort beyond the head).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on December 30, 2013, 05:41:37 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 30, 2013, 05:06:16 AM
Maybe the first one is an Allosaur ?

Given the small horn on its snout, I would hazard it to be a very old-school ornitholestes (given the really poor representations from the Imperial toy figures, I doubt they put much effort beyond the head).

Is that a horn ? I thought it was just a bump or ridge. .well it is a Chinasaur after all I guess.

IslandAnimals

the red colored headed back colored back and grey skinned unidentified dinosaur is based on the red skin colored dinosaur on the left.but it doesn't have a horn a bump or a ridge on its snout nose so can you identify the red dinosaur on the left please?

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's probably a allosaur or some sort of generic theropod. You have to understand, many of these mass produced bin-swelling Chinasaur pieces aren't all that accurate. They are meant to make a cheap buck on the fly...so there isn't a lot of thought put into them for species.

IslandAnimals

does this illustrated photo matches the red colored dinosaur on the left in the first picture and the red colored headed and the grey colored dinosaur in the second picture?

Blade-of-the-Moon

If you think it does then that's what it is.  There is really not enough info to make a 100% certain guess on a Chinasaur like this.

SBell

They are probably the same figure, although Imperial was pretty bad at quality control. As for the illustration, sure, why not?

IslandAnimals

can someone please identify this raptor because this isn't a velociraptor at all. it is bigger than this human. so is this a velociraptor a deinonychus a dromaeosaurus or something else? *orthocone*

tyrantqueen

That's a Chap Mei, I believe it's supposed to be a velociraptor. It's obviously based on Jurassic Park.

alexeratops

Quote from: IslandAnimals on December 30, 2013, 09:34:53 PM

can someone please identify this raptor because this isn't a velociraptor at all. it is bigger than this human. so is this a velociraptor a deinonychus a dromaeosaurus or something else? *orthocone*

I got one of those at my school Christmas bizarre, but in orange. When you close the jaw, the spines on the back of the neck light up and it roars.
like a bantha!

Blackdanter

Happy New Year peeps.  :D

This beast is a large AAA Tyrannosaurus (usual markings). Has anyone seen it before in a proper painted production issue?

Blackdanter

Here's another anomally! My collecting has gone down the rabbit hole these days!

I've been in dialogue with Anthony Beeson regarding this figure as it looks like an alternate version of the Collecta Rebbachisaurus. It would seem however that this is a knock off with a bit of effort involved in repositioning and a little resculpting. The leg dimensions do not follow those of the original figure and do not appear to have been simply repositioned. Everything else is identical.

Presumably, these will pop up at some point, probably in tandem with other Collecta figures. Has anyone encountered this figure yet or anything similar? If this molding is anything to go by, the production figures should be of a pretty good quality.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThis beast is a large AAA Tyrannosaurus (usual markings). Has anyone seen it before in a proper painted production issue?
Never seen that one before.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's some interesting pieces.

I don't think I've seen that AAA before..though it sort of feels familiar. 

Haven't seen anything of the Rebbachisaurus..is it the same size ?

Zhuchengotyrant

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 30, 2013, 09:39:02 PM
That's a Chap Mei, I believe it's supposed to be a velociraptor. It's obviously based on Jurassic Park.
TQ, You aré spot on! I see this Velociraptor at Toys 'R Us all the time ;)
-Zhuchengotyrant

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blackdanter on December 31, 2013, 12:30:28 PM

This beast is a large AAA Tyrannosaurus (usual markings). Has anyone seen it before in a proper painted production issue?

How are you always able to get these unpainted models? Are they rejects from the factory or is the paint removed by yourself? You have a talent for finding obscure treasures, it seems.

Blackdanter

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 31, 2013, 09:54:08 PM

How are you always able to get these unpainted models? Are they rejects from the factory or is the paint removed by yourself? You have a talent for finding obscure treasures, it seems.

It's just a case of having spent a few years cultivating contacts closer to production sources. The figures I get are usually production over runs, end of lines or pre production molding/assembly tests. I don't remove paint from anything as it would be too much effort and patently obvious anyway. The factories always mold more figures than are needed to fulfill the order so, once the order is filled the surplace is either destroyed or passed to bulk outlets. It's just a case of being able to tap into the surplace outlets and find the stuff before it gets sold out into the local population. Of course, a lot of wierd and wonderful stuff turns up as well but it comes down to how sharp your finders are as they have to literally spend hours searching through unmarked boxes before they find anything I might be interested in.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Blackdanter on January 02, 2014, 01:48:09 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 31, 2013, 09:54:08 PM

It's just a case of having spent a few years cultivating contacts closer to production sources. The figures I get are usually production over runs, end of lines or pre production molding/assembly tests. I don't remove paint from anything as it would be too much effort and patently obvious anyway. The factories always mold more figures than are needed to fulfill the order so, once the order is filled the surplace is either destroyed or passed to bulk outlets. It's just a case of being able to tap into the surplace outlets and find the stuff before it gets sold out into the local population. Of course, a lot of wierd and wonderful stuff turns up as well but it comes down to how sharp your finders are as they have to literally spend hours searching through unmarked boxes before they find anything I might be interested in.

I'd say those fellows are closer to friends than contacts.. to go through so much trouble.  :) That's cool you found those willing to help.

FossilFools14

can someone help me identify these three dinosaurs? but before you do this look at its features first

tyrantqueen

It's you again, IslandAnimals, right? :-\

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: