News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: Ridureyu on January 13, 2014, 01:27:30 AM
Hey, I did say they were really heavily stylized :p

Though that first one was recognized as a Dinodontosaurus by a few people.  And you can see how inaccurate it is.  These things were clearly made by someone who just squinted at real dinosaurs...

I used to follow this series back in 2005. Back then, the Website said that These creatures are not meant to be real dinosaurs, but dinosaur like creatures called Zaurids They called them Dino warriors just to make it more accessible.

Heres something I found that details more about them

darth daniel

Quote from: SabertoothKittens on January 14, 2014, 03:41:59 AM
Cool, thanks! Each one also has a number, in addition to the name, stamped on the bottom, and ordering by number, I did have a few numbers missing, so I figured there might be more toys. When digging through the bin, I tried to get one of each. There was an ankylosaur I opted not to get because it was so similar to the "palaeoscincus". Digging a little, I found an older forum post with someone who had a full collection, so I see which few others are missing. Nothing I want too badly, at least. And it looks like there used to be a little paper display for them! Seems to be an older set, so that explains the inaccuracies, but it did come from something attempting to be educational, which explains the variety. I don't think even any of the museum-quality brands have a moropus.

Now that I know they have a history, I'm debating whether or not to paint them neon. Maybe I will anyway!  >:D

And while looking up "Panini" dinosaurs to see more about these, I also found out about some similar dino toys I recently got at Mr. Gatti's. Ah, who knew you could track these things?

These figures are so old... I collected them before I started going to school, which was more than 20 years ago! Of the ones in the picture, I had all except for the Tyrannosaurus. I´m not sure which are missing, but there was a Corythosaurus. I still have them stored in a box. I also still have the (complete) sticker book, but the paper display suffered too much from playing, so it didn´t survive.

Ridureyu

Thanks for the info, Takama!  That clears up a lot.  I guess the one that can be identified was kind of a fluke, then.  Though I swear the feathered one reminds me of something, I just can't put my finger on it.

I still have this urge to pick up more of these guys, though, weird though they are.

SBell

Quote from: darth daniel on January 14, 2014, 09:19:04 PM
Quote from: SabertoothKittens on January 14, 2014, 03:41:59 AM
Cool, thanks! Each one also has a number, in addition to the name, stamped on the bottom, and ordering by number, I did have a few numbers missing, so I figured there might be more toys. When digging through the bin, I tried to get one of each. There was an ankylosaur I opted not to get because it was so similar to the "palaeoscincus". Digging a little, I found an older forum post with someone who had a full collection, so I see which few others are missing. Nothing I want too badly, at least. And it looks like there used to be a little paper display for them! Seems to be an older set, so that explains the inaccuracies, but it did come from something attempting to be educational, which explains the variety. I don't think even any of the museum-quality brands have a moropus.

Now that I know they have a history, I'm debating whether or not to paint them neon. Maybe I will anyway!  >:D

And while looking up "Panini" dinosaurs to see more about these, I also found out about some similar dino toys I recently got at Mr. Gatti's. Ah, who knew you could track these things?

These figures are so old... I collected them before I started going to school, which was more than 20 years ago! Of the ones in the picture, I had all except for the Tyrannosaurus. I´m not sure which are missing, but there was a Corythosaurus. I still have them stored in a box. I also still have the (complete) sticker book, but the paper display suffered too much from playing, so it didn´t survive.

I finally remembered I have a list of the figures (didn't put their numbers in my database though--that might have helped!). But it is alphabetical!

ANKYLOSAURUS
APATOSAURUS
BRACHIOSAURUS
CAMPTOSAURUS
CORYTHOSAURUS
CYNOGNATHUS
DIATRYMA
DIMETRODON
ELASMOSAURUS
EUSMILUS (given the tail and head shape, I refuse to call it a Smilodon)
ICHTHYOSAURUS
IGUANODON
MAMMOTH, WOOLLY
MOROPUS
PALAEOSCINCUS
PARASAUROLOPHUS
POLACANTHUS
PROTOCERATOPS
PTERANODON
RHINO, WOOLLY
STEGOSAURUS
TRICERATOPS
TYLOSAURUS
TYRANNOSAURUS

darth daniel

Quote from: SBell on January 15, 2014, 04:47:26 AMI finally remembered I have a list of the figures (didn't put their numbers in my database though--that might have helped!). But it is alphabetical!

ANKYLOSAURUS
APATOSAURUS
BRACHIOSAURUS
CAMPTOSAURUS
CORYTHOSAURUS
CYNOGNATHUS
DIATRYMA
DIMETRODON
ELASMOSAURUS
EUSMILUS (given the tail and head shape, I refuse to call it a Smilodon)
ICHTHYOSAURUS
IGUANODON
MAMMOTH, WOOLLY
MOROPUS
PALAEOSCINCUS
PARASAUROLOPHUS
POLACANTHUS
PROTOCERATOPS
PTERANODON
RHINO, WOOLLY
STEGOSAURUS
TRICERATOPS
TYLOSAURUS
TYRANNOSAURUS

Yes right, I also have a green Camptosaurus and a dark blue Ankylosaurus. So the only one I do no have is the Tyrannosaurus.

Roselaar

For those of you who really want to know, here's the numerical order of these well remembered Paninisaurs:

1-Corythosaurus
2-Ankylosaurus
3-Pteranodon
4-Tyrannosaurus
5-Stegosaurus
6-Camptosaurus
7-Iguanodon
8-Brontosaurus
9-Protoceratops
10-Triceratops
11-Parasaurolophus
12-Dimetrodon
13-Elasmosaurus
14-Tylosaurus
15-Ichthyosaurus
16-Paleoscincus
17-Polacanthus
18-Smilodon
19-Coelodontha
20-Cynognathus
21-Mammuthus
22-Moropus
23-Diatryma
24-Brachiosaurus

DC

Mech were similar but had fewer figures. 
You can never have too many dinosaurs

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Roselaar on January 15, 2014, 02:54:12 PM
For those of you who really want to know, here's the numerical order of these well remembered Paninisaurs:

1-Corythosaurus
2-Ankylosaurus
3-Pteranodon
4-Tyrannosaurus
5-Stegosaurus
6-Camptosaurus
7-Iguanodon
8-Brontosaurus
9-Protoceratops
10-Triceratops
11-Parasaurolophus
12-Dimetrodon
13-Elasmosaurus
14-Tylosaurus
15-Ichthyosaurus
16-Paleoscincus
17-Polacanthus
18-Smilodon
19-Coelodontha
20-Cynognathus
21-Mammuthus
22-Moropus
23-Diatryma
24-Brachiosaurus

Let's create a thread for this line, I think it is deserved, as they often crop up in discussion. Any volunteers?  O:-)

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Trilobite14

can someone have any idea what company made this guy?

Concavenator

Quote from: Trilobite14 on January 25, 2014, 10:47:23 PM

can someone have any idea what company made this guy?
It probaby is a Chinasaur

Trilobite14

can someone Id the name of this dinosaur?

DinoToyForum

Trilobite is an alternative account of a previously banned member and has therefore been banned.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 25, 2014, 11:27:32 PM
Trilobite is an alternative account of a previously banned member and has therefore been banned.
Shouldn't you block their IP address so they can't access the forum? Unless they're using some sort of proxy service...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 26, 2014, 12:07:13 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 25, 2014, 11:27:32 PM
Shouldn't you block their IP address so they can't access the forum? Unless they're using some sort of proxy service...

Their IP was blocked, so, yeah, proxy or something.

Everything_Dinosaur

We at Everything Dinosaur have marketed this particular dinosaur model as a modern interpretation of the Iguanodontid called Iguanodon bernissartensis.  If you look at the belly you should see a two figure code reference on this model.  It should be something like A3.

Check out this link for further information on the prehistoric animal model series that we source this model from: Key to Prehistoric Animal model set

Hope this helps.

Carnosaur

I bought these a few years ago but i cant remember what they are or who made them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Carnosaur

Someone just told me they are Uha / Furuta series. :)

SBell

Quote from: Carnosaur on January 29, 2014, 10:42:36 PM
Someone just told me they are Uha / Furuta series. :)

They are the Furuta DINOMODELS series, don't know about UHA being involved though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: