News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FossilFools14

its FossilFools14 For Now And I Apologize I Wont do that again Ok

DinoToyForum

Quote from: FossilFools14 on January 05, 2014, 06:26:51 AM

Ban is for life, not just for Xmas.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 05, 2014, 11:27:16 AM

lol..sorry it just sounded like it was a gift there. Keeps on going all year long. ;)

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 05, 2014, 04:01:48 PM

lol..sorry it just sounded like it was a gift there. Keeps on going all year long. ;)

Did I miss something? Is IslandAnimals no longer on the forum (I know, off topic, but not worth starting up anything separately)?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SBell on January 05, 2014, 04:57:51 PM

Did I miss something? Is IslandAnimals no longer on the forum (I know, off topic, but not worth starting up anything separately)?
IslandAnimals was banned for spamming. They've just created a new account under this username FossilFools14, which basically equals ban evasion. I think they also created the account LostWorldPro, because of their similar posts and writing style, but I can only speculate.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yep. banned is banned regardless of username or duration.

alexeratops

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 05, 2014, 07:50:47 PM

IslandAnimals was banned for spamming. They've just created a new account under this username FossilFools14, which basically equals ban evasion. I think they also created the account LostWorldPro, because of their similar posts and writing style, but I can only speculate.

What's spamming?
like a bantha!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: alexeratops on January 06, 2014, 12:35:36 AM

What's spamming?

Posting the same things or type of things over and over again is one definition.

tyrantqueen

What's spamming?
You must be new to the internet ;)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 06, 2014, 03:39:27 AM

What's spamming?
You must be new to the internet ;)
Haha-lol.  ::)
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

sauroid

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 06, 2014, 12:58:35 AM

What's spamming?

Posting the same things or type of things over and over again is one definition.
or having the same trollish tone in every posts
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Agreed. Enough OT discussion., there are plenty of places to look up examples of spamming. :)

Ridureyu

In 2005, Unimax made a series of "Dino Warriors" - barbarian dudes who rode dinosaurs.  The dinos in question were really heavily stylized and not called by their real names, so I assumed at the time that they were made up for the toy line.  Some of the still might be for all I know, but I did discover that at least one was a Dinodontosaurus.  After learning this, I unearthed some of the ones I still had, but I cannot identify any of them  If any of you can help, I would be happy.

CAVEAT:  None of these are museum-quality or accurate.  Yes, I know that they all look wrong.

DINODONTOSAURUS:

UNKNOWN #1: ARMORED FOREHEAD, SPIKES AROUND NECK:

UNKNOWN #2: ARMOR PLATES ON BACK OF NECK:

UNKNOWN #3: SMALL CREST ON BACK OF HEAD, LONG CLAWS:

UNKNOWN #4: BUG EYES, BEAK, WEIRD HANDS:

Takama

Quote from: Ridureyu on January 13, 2014, 12:46:38 AM
In 2005, Unimax made a series of "Dino Warriors" - barbarian dudes who rode dinosaurs.  The dinos in question were really heavily stylized and not called by their real names, so I assumed at the time that they were made up for the toy line.  Some of the still might be for all I know, but I did discover that at least one was a Dinodontosaurus.  After learning this, I unearthed some of the ones I still had, but I cannot identify any of them  If any of you can help, I would be happy.

CAVEAT:  None of these are museum-quality or accurate.  Yes, I know that they all look wrong.

DINODONTOSAURUS:

UNKNOWN #1: ARMORED FOREHEAD, SPIKES AROUND NECK:

UNKNOWN #2: ARMOR PLATES ON BACK OF NECK:

UNKNOWN #3: SMALL CREST ON BACK OF HEAD, LONG CLAWS:

UNKNOWN #4: BUG EYES, BEAK, WEIRD HANDS:

None of these have names of real Dinosaurs, nore are they dinosaurs at all, they are all fantasy creatures.

Ridureyu

Hey, I did say they were really heavily stylized :p

Though that first one was recognized as a Dinodontosaurus by a few people.  And you can see how inaccurate it is.  These things were clearly made by someone who just squinted at real dinosaurs...

SabertoothKittens

So, does anyone know if these have a specific company attached to them, or if they're just generic chinasaurs? I got them at Main Event for twenty tickets each, so I initially assumed the latter, buuuut, there's a weird amount of variety for just generic chinasaurs. They're all labelled with a name, even if a ton of these are pretty inaccurate, so it's not like they were just making "generic sauropod" or "generic tyrannosaur". In addition to having the "stock dinosaurs" (and other creatures) that you usually see, such as smilodon and tyrannosaurus, there's also elasmosaurus, cynognathus, polacanthus, protoceratops, tylosaurus, coelodonta, diatryma, and strangest of all, moropus. (I didn't recognize the moropus at first. When I pulled it out of the bin I thought it was a procoptodon, but it has "moropus" stamped on the bottom) Again, I think they're most likely just chinasaurs, but they're a bit strange so I figured I'd ask.

sauroid

i have that Moropus figure in different color. they could be Paninis tho. they are actually very nice little figures.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: SabertoothKittens on January 13, 2014, 04:27:04 AM
So, does anyone know if these have a specific company attached to them, or if they're just generic chinasaurs? I got them at Main Event for twenty tickets each, so I initially assumed the latter, buuuut, there's a weird amount of variety for just generic chinasaurs. They're all labelled with a name, even if a ton of these are pretty inaccurate, so it's not like they were just making "generic sauropod" or "generic tyrannosaur". In addition to having the "stock dinosaurs" (and other creatures) that you usually see, such as smilodon and tyrannosaurus, there's also elasmosaurus, cynognathus, polacanthus, protoceratops, tylosaurus, coelodonta, diatryma, and strangest of all, moropus. (I didn't recognize the moropus at first. When I pulled it out of the bin I thought it was a procoptodon, but it has "moropus" stamped on the bottom) Again, I think they're most likely just chinasaurs, but they're a bit strange so I figured I'd ask.

I believe they are from a company called Mech, and are most commonly associated with an old sticker book giveaway from Panini. They are still around in various forms, and I have seen them in tubes as well as bulk bins, sometimes with a couple new added on. The set itself is 24 figures, but I don't have the memory to say which ones are missing in your picture. And yeah, several of them are poorly named at best (Moropus is the worst, of course, but there's no way that's a Smilodon either).

DinoToyForum

Quote from: SBell on January 13, 2014, 01:54:20 PM

I believe they are from a company called Mech, and are most commonly associated with an old sticker book giveaway from Panini. They are still around in various forms, and I have seen them in tubes as well as bulk bins, sometimes with a couple new added on. The set itself is 24 figures, but I don't have the memory to say which ones are missing in your picture. And yeah, several of them are poorly named at best (Moropus is the worst, of course, but there's no way that's a Smilodon either).

In addition to the originals, there are some also some knock off versions that are slightly smaller and in a different plastic. Don't we have a Mech thread somewhere? I know we did on Version 1 of the forum...

SabertoothKittens

Quote from: SBell on January 13, 2014, 01:54:20 PM

Cool, thanks! Each one also has a number, in addition to the name, stamped on the bottom, and ordering by number, I did have a few numbers missing, so I figured there might be more toys. When digging through the bin, I tried to get one of each. There was an ankylosaur I opted not to get because it was so similar to the "palaeoscincus". Digging a little, I found an older forum post with someone who had a full collection, so I see which few others are missing. Nothing I want too badly, at least. And it looks like there used to be a little paper display for them! Seems to be an older set, so that explains the inaccuracies, but it did come from something attempting to be educational, which explains the variety. I don't think even any of the museum-quality brands have a moropus.

Now that I know they have a history, I'm debating whether or not to paint them neon. Maybe I will anyway!  >:D

And while looking up "Panini" dinosaurs to see more about these, I also found out about some similar dino toys I recently got at Mr. Gatti's. Ah, who knew you could track these things?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: