You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Impact of the Coronavirus and Self-Isolation

Started by suspsy, March 03, 2020, 11:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Tomorrow it will be a big day for us at the hospital. Tomorrow at 9:30am, they will start the vaccination with the Moderna vaccine in the hospitals of our region, starting with ours. In this first round I'm not one of the chosen, but I'm very happy for my mates. When they receive more vaccines, it will be our turn.

EmperorDinobot

ceratopsian

Good news avatar_Duna @Duna. I hope your turn comes quickly.

My father who is in his late 80s had his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday.

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 14, 2021, 10:30:05 PM

My father who is in his late 80s had his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday.

Is it true you gotta get a second jab 19 days later?

ceratopsian

The scientists are in dispute over the timing of the second dose and whether it must be done at 21 days or if later will be as protective. I do not have the knowledge to judge the validity of the arguments put forward. We have to accept the schedule that our government has decreed.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Duna @Duna I am very happy that the vaccine is starting to be administered now to health personnel, I hope it will be as soon as possible for everyone.

But in any case, I just accessed the news from the newspapers, as you know, the national and international news and all kinds of events, television, radio and newspapers, as you know, but I just saw with concern that the covic-19 so less in Spain is progressing a lot and that some authorities urge the Government to total confinement as happened in March of last year. On the other hand, in Madrid they have imposed the touch that for restaurants and other activities from 10 pm, that worries me a lot, regardless of the vaccine, things are going fatal.

Regarding my personal situation, because of the term "Filomena" I have not been able to go to work until Monday. My superior called me twice, that is, my boss last Sunday and Tuesday, commenting respectively that we had to stay at home on Tuesday and later until this next Monday, due to the catastrophic situation that this storm has left. In my city and it seems to me that in considerable parts of Spain, apart from the covid-19 we have to add a catastrophic situation due to the snowstorm and cold caused by the storm "Filomena". Honestly, what my nation is suffering looks like the twelve plagues of Egypt, metaphorically speaking.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian I am glad that your father received the vaccine, it is a sign of certain security in the face of this tragic humanitarian crisis that we are suffering worldwide. For my part, in a way, I am totally relieved because I can no longer infect my sick and elderly father, he would now be 93 years old and I would be sincerely very worried about his health, he was a man of much to go out on the street. In my case, I am still a young man with few pathologies (I think none serious) and I honestly have no fear of contracting the coronavirus, regardless that I do everything possible to avoid said disease since I avoid social contact and I am half confined this week at home and I'm using the exercise bike and every other moment, I spend at least two or three hours a day walking around my house, to take care of being overweight (which fortunately I don't have) and especially to avoid getting sick when be so long at home.

But what has been said, I am scared by what the news says, on the other hand my relatives are depressed and terrified by what is happening in our nation, paradoxically, I who was a hypersensitive and depressed person I am serene and happy and I dedicate myself to giving encourage people, rather than encourage me. Now that the depressive symptoms and psychiatric problems are unfortunately increasing is when I am fine, especially since my poor mother passed away and my desire to live and my optimism have been accentuated since the death of my poor father. I am honestly concerned that he is so well balanced psychologically and psychologically and I have told family and neighbors about this. A relative, a first cousin, told me, in this case, that perhaps he was a tougher person than he thought and that I did not realize it. In my case, I think I have matured in a matter of years in an amazing way, since it is not understood in my family how I can live life with so much phlegm and tranquility. I think it has hardened my life.

I have gone from being hypersensitive, negative and pessimistic before the death of my poor parents, to being positive, optimistic, phlegmatic and what is worse to laughing even at my own shadow and all my past.

However, I feel sorry for all the people who are suffering. We can only pray that this pandemic with vaccines stops and the death toll stops. I am optimistic.

Duna

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on January 14, 2021, 10:31:12 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on January 14, 2021, 10:30:05 PM

Is it true you gotta get a second jab 19 days later?
Yes, if it is the Pfizer one, 20-21 days later. But we are getting the Moderna which is 28 days later. The Moderna is twice more expensive than the Pfizer, but it requires only -22ºC for its conservation, in contraposition of the Pfizer which needs 80ºC.

They have called me today!!  ^-^ I have the date given for the vaccination: on Monday at 11:00.
Thanks avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, I'm so sorry about the loss of your parents, I'm so glad you have coped with your pessimism because being optimistic is what we most all need now.

Jose S.M.

I haven't been visiting this thread in some time, to preserve my mental health tbh. I get stressed easily when people I talk with get sick or have a problem that I can't help with so I kept my distance a bit. I hope everyone that has been affected is doing better now.

More related to the latest posts, the hospital my sister works for got the vaccines last week and she was vaccinated already. She has to wait 21 days for a second shot too.

ceratopsian

The UK government has decreed that we must wait much longer for second shots: my father will get his second Pfizer jab 10 weeks after the first.

Excellent news avatar_Duna @Duna.  So too avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M. for your sister.

Stegotyranno420

Congratulations on the Vaccinations everyone! I believe we are now hopefully ALMOST over with the pandemic, but i still feel bad for those who have had family died, and im still disapointed at those anti maskers.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Jose S.M. on January 15, 2021, 04:29:58 PM
I haven't been visiting this thread in some time, to preserve my mental health tbh. I get stressed easily when people I talk with get sick or have a problem that I can't help with so I kept my distance a bit. I hope everyone that has been affected is doing better now.

More related to the latest posts, the hospital my sister works for got the vaccines last week and she was vaccinated already. She has to wait 21 days for a second shot too.

I'm the same way, I've been steering clear of the thread. My country is currently experiencing the absolute worst of the pandemic so far and it shows little sign of ebbing. By the end of winter I think everyone in the US will know somebody who has died of it.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus at first your closing thoughts didn't make sense to me, but then I looked up the word 'phlegmatic' and learned that I've been construing it the wrong way my whole life. So thanks for that assistance.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Hello I am very glad that you can already see a light after the tunnel. I'm happy for all of you.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Phlegmatic means dear Halichoeres a person unperturbed, that is, unfazed by setbacks, that is, it means, for example, a stoic person in the sense of the word who is not altered by anything, for example, it is as if they told me, for example, "your house with all your Belongings have collapsed and I do not show a feeling of pain "or concern and they tell me later" all your loved ones have died "or" tomorrow is going to be the end of the world and humanity "and you are unfazed and you accept it with impassiveness calmly or for example a person gives you a bad answer and you do not flinch or show concern or rejection, that is what I think phlegm is or at least a meaning that I want to give to that word.

For example, phlegmatic people the British are very famous for giving an example.

Halichoeres

Thank you, I don't think I'll soon be forgetting the true meaning :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

UK

Received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Achy arm and tiredness today. Doesn't fit well with me getting mine before my wife and the thousands of dedicated teachers, carers and vulnerable people. However, all of us working in the Hospital have the ability to spread covid among colleagues, patients and the community.

My daughter, who works in the Stroke Unit in the same hospital tested positive and is now on day 10 of recovery. Fortunately her road to recovery has been smooth so far, and whilst she remains lethargic she is breathing normally. That's both my children having contracted covid 19 now.

The vaccine is our road to recovery and in our locality vaccine take up rates are high (to the degree that members of the public have tried to pose as members of staff to receive their jab) We need to get in line, stay calm, follow the guidelines and cases will drop. I still see too many people just ignoring sound advice. They can't see that they are the very people keeping us in lockdown!

Take care all.

BlueKrono

I'm glad to hear you're getting the vaccine avatar_UK @UK, and I hope your wife is able to get hers soon. Wishing for your safety and good health.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

Good to hear you have had your jab, avatar_UK @UK.  I'm astonished to hear people have been pretending to be staff members - but I suppose I shouldn't be.

Duna

avatar_UK @UK  Fortunately your children are well and on the way to recovery. I also received my Moderna vaccine yesterday. Not tiredness but achy arm, too, but not unbearable and better as hours goes by. On Friday the capital of my province, Bilbao, will be confined perimetrally because they have got into "red zone" (more than 500 cases per 100.000 inhabitants). I live in the town next to it and we are on "orange zone" so we may probably be following the same soon.

Crackington

Hi all, and avatar_Duna @Duna and avatar_UK @UK - Mrs Crackington had the vaccine too and also had an achy arm and felt a bit ill after. Seems to be quite common side effect, but she definitely recommends that people take it. Think it'll be a while before I get the chance though.

avatar_UK @UK sorry to hear about your daughter, must have been a real worry. Glad to hear she's getting better.

Shonisaurus

avatar_UK @UK Best wishes to your daughter who is fortunately on the mend. We are all going to overcome this pandemic, and everything will be solved for everyone and especially for people as good as you.

avatar_Duna @Duna avatar_Crackington @Crackington I'm so glad you both got vaccinated. When will the vaccine be for me? I suppose that for being a single member that I am (honestly metaphorically I compare myself with the ankylosaurus that were members from what I have read in books of prehistoric animals solitary members and that they went "to their ball") I will be among the last to be vaccinated.

Crackington

Hi avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , it was actually my wife who was vaccinated, not me. She has started a new job for a local authority and is designated as a key worker.

I guess we'll have to wait a while to get the vaccine. Stay safe.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: