You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Impact of the Coronavirus and Self-Isolation

Started by suspsy, March 03, 2020, 11:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

i've been watching reptile hobby-related events (NARBC etc) posted on youtube and the people i see there arent wearing masks and not practicing social distancing like there's no pandemic!
i dont know if this is just happening in America but it's just making me wince seeing those people not being mindful of the situation. whether a lot of people have been vaccinated in acertain area isnt a reason to be careless.

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl I'm so sorry for what happened, it's absolutely horrible! You must be having a very bad time, losing so many dear people, friends and family in such a short space of time is extremely painful. My condolences and you know where you can go in case you have a low mood. What I said has been a very unpleasant year for you. The pandemic has been very cruel and hard for you, for your loved ones, people you have loved and love despite never being with you again.  :(

Creature

Quote from: sauroid on July 11, 2021, 05:35:11 PM
i've been watching reptile hobby-related events (NARBC etc) posted on youtube and the people i see there arent wearing masks and not practicing social distancing like there's no pandemic!
i dont know if this is just happening in America but it's just making me wince seeing those people not being mindful of the situation. whether a lot of people have been vaccinated in acertain area isnt a reason to be careless.

It may depend on where the events are being held. Regulations vary so much depending on what state you are in.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

Faelrin

Went to the grocery store with my mother today after an appointment, and wow. It's like the pandemic never happened here. Barely anyone wore masks. Not even the pharmacists did. We were part of a very small minority that did.

I mean technically our state's mandate to wear masks ended late last month, and combined with the CDC suggesting folks don't need to wear them if vaccinated, and you add in all the anti-maskers that were there from the start, I'm not that surprised. All the same considering there was still a rather large portion that was wearing them a few weeks prior, I was expecting something a bit more gradual. Doctor's office was a bit different situation as they are still required inside, and things are still spaced apart, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

sauroid

i just hope the Delta variant wont cost them dearly by their lax attitude. the consequences would be really tragic.

also, avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin glad that you and your family are being extra careful. please always take care.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

KronoGarrett

I might be vaccinated, but I'm still wearing my mask at the grocery store and in other public places.  Not many other people are these days, though...this gives me all kinds of bad feelings.

Also, COVID deniers aren't just a health hazard, they're a career hazard.  I stood up to my boss after he repeatedly harassed my coworkers for wearing masks, getting vaccinated, and not wanting to hold an all-hands meeting indoors in early June.  This cost me my job.

suspsy

Quote from: KronoGarrett on July 13, 2021, 08:16:58 PM
I might be vaccinated, but I'm still wearing my mask at the grocery store and in other public places.  Not many other people are these days, though...this gives me all kinds of bad feelings.

Also, COVID deniers aren't just a health hazard, they're a career hazard.  I stood up to my boss after he repeatedly harassed my coworkers for wearing masks, getting vaccinated, and not wanting to hold an all-hands meeting indoors in early June.  This cost me my job.

I sure hope you reported him for all that. That's absolutely despicable.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

KronoGarrett

Quote from: suspsy on July 13, 2021, 08:33:19 PM
I sure hope you reported him for all that. That's absolutely despicable.

Unfortunately, HR's been shielding the creep for the decade he's been there and my luck with employment lawyers has been nonexistent.  Also civil service.  I was still probationary, so attempting to deal with abuse was basically going to get me terminated no matter what I did.  It was a Kobiyashi Maru scenario.

At least there are worse things to be fired for.

Creature

I'm so sorry. That's horrible (and sadly unsurprising). I hope you're able to find new, better employment soon.

My city still has a fair number of folks who are wearing masks. Restrictions are lifted in most places, but the university, medical offices, and transit systems are still requiring masks and distancing. I haven't tried dining out recently, so I'm not sure what it's like for that.

Stegotyranno420

I just saw a jerk blind a man who asked him kindly to wear a mask. Nobody cared to help the poor man either... If you think not taking a vaccine or not wearing masks makes you a man, you ain't a man, those Indian, Chinese, and British doctors who contributed to the science of vaccines are far more manly than you. Honestly, masks should be a normal thing. Our world will be far less sick, and far less annoyed when told to wear masks.

Stegotyranno420

What are your guy's opinion on schools forcing children back to in-person schooling.
I am against it. We are making the same mistakes as last time.
I would like to hear your thoughts.
P.S.
If there's anyone from the United States, specifically California, I need your help. P.M me

Lanthanotus

Working as an educator with pre-school and young school kids I highly agree with the school (and kindergardens, youth centers etc.) opening. Our situation may vary from the US (I am in Germany), but our vaccination quota is also decreasing and infection numbers increasing. Nevertheless, the aftermath of all the measures taken with lockdowns will show their horrid face in a a few years, when a probably bigger number than we expect of todays younger and older children will not be able to catch up in their learning (language, reading, writing, math....) and their social skills. Those who were left behind before the pandemic will also be the loosers now and afterwards, and their number will have increased. In the job we already see this today.

The pandemic may (or may not be) as serious as our public perception makes it look (after all, there`s a great number of other diseases around that are a devastation for people around the globe for decades that are neglected since one and a half years as if they never had been), but the the overall outcome of the pandemic (with all its physical, social, fianancial and psychological consequences) will just be as good or bad, as we as a community will allow it to be.   

Rexy

This is driving me mental! Victoria only just came out of our fifth lockdown but, as of 8pm tonight, the entire state will be back in lockdown again. All the usual restrictions are back including the 5km travel limit. How many times can our government do this to us?!
Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas, and I'm gonna be there when you learn that.

sauroid

maybe they are doing it to control further outbreak of the dreaded Delta variant? governments just dont do it out of spite to their citizens. anyway, hope you stay well and practice basic health protocols. take care.

ceratopsian

If you are in any doubt about the seriousness of the Delta variant, it was announced today in the UK that 20% of patients currently hospitalised with Covid are between the ages of 18 and 34.  Older age groups are faring better than they did with regard to hospitalisation in the first two waves because of the good protection against serious illness offered by our high full vaccination rates in older people.

Rexy

Quote from: sauroid on August 05, 2021, 04:16:40 PM
maybe they are doing it to control further outbreak of the dreaded Delta variant? governments just dont do it out of spite to their citizens. anyway, hope you stay well and practice basic health protocols. take care.

I can understand the government wants to try and stop the spread of the Delta strain, but is it really necessary to put the entire state into lockdown? Why not just lockdown the areas where the active cases are? Businesses are losing tonnes of money because they have to close their doors every time there's a lockdown. I was looking forward to going shopping with mum this weekend to get her a birthday present and now we can't go.
Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas, and I'm gonna be there when you learn that.

Creature

Meanwhile, my county is seeing another spike in cases and all we've done is go back to making everyone wear masks. It's not nothing, but man, I'm not ready for the city/campus to get flooded with students, even if they are mostly-ish vaccinated.

Newt

My workplace has re-instated mask requirements for workers as of today, and canceled all indoor activities for patrons. I'm glad they're taking this seriously, unlike the state government and much of the populace.

sauroid

i am double masking whenever i have to go out.
(i dont understand some people complaining about wearing a thin piece of fabric for self protection.)

stargatedalek

Here (Nova Scotia) we never dropped masks, and it's really scary seeing people come in from other provinces demanding they shouldn't have to wear them here. Had a customer literally say "Well I came to the Maritimes from Ontario so that I wouldn't have to, so you can't make me". Thanks New Brunswick, thanks a lot.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: