You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Impact of the Coronavirus and Self-Isolation

Started by suspsy, March 03, 2020, 11:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

Quote from: sauroid on August 15, 2021, 01:05:52 PM
i am double masking whenever i have to go out.
(i dont understand some people complaining about wearing a thin piece of fabric for self protection.)

Yeah, it's absurd. I go for runs in our current weather (30C+, 80%+ humidity) wearing a mask and am perfectly comfortable yet can't stop hearing people complaining about how "uncomfortable" they are because they have to wear a mask for the few hours they go shopping in climate controlled malls...

ITdactyl

My country's been in one of the world's longest COVID induced lockdowns (but we don't call it a lockdown. I won't go into details since its too political) so every bit of humor is a life line for me.

A delivery rider came knocking yesterday. 'Apparently he has my vitae Wuerhosaurus that's been stuck in the delivery loop for months. When I stepped out to meet him, he gave me this weird stare (big old man coming to receive a small plastic toy), stared at the picture of the wuerhosaurus on his tablet and then stared back at me.

Our conversation (in Filipino)
Rider: "For your kid sir?"
Me: "Nope."
R: "I didn't know dinosaurs are essential goods now."*

*only essential goods are allowed for delivery in certain areas like my hometown. And yes, plastic dinosaurs are essential goods. ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: ITdactyl on August 18, 2021, 11:03:55 PM

My country's been in one of the world's longest COVID induced lockdowns (but we don't call it a lockdown. I won't go into details since its too political) so every bit of humor is a life line for me.

A delivery rider came knocking yesterday. 'Apparently he has my vitae Wuerhosaurus that's been stuck in the delivery loop for months. When I stepped out to meet him, he gave me this weird stare (big old man coming to receive a small plastic toy), stared at the picture of the wuerhosaurus on his tablet and then stared back at me.

Our conversation (in Filipino)
Rider: "For your kid sir?"
Me: "Nope."
R: "I didn't know dinosaurs are essential goods now."*

*only essential goods are allowed for delivery in certain areas like my hometown. And yes, plastic dinosaurs are essential goods. ;D

I don't check this thread often but I just want to say, yes, plastic dinosaurs have proven to be essential during this pandemic, for morale, which is exceptionally important right now.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Rexy on August 06, 2021, 06:15:50 AM
Quote from: sauroid on August 05, 2021, 04:16:40 PM
maybe they are doing it to control further outbreak of the dreaded Delta variant? governments just dont do it out of spite to their citizens. anyway, hope you stay well and practice basic health protocols. take care.

I can understand the government wants to try and stop the spread of the Delta strain, but is it really necessary to put the entire state into lockdown? Why not just lockdown the areas where the active cases are? Businesses are losing tonnes of money because they have to close their doors every time there's a lockdown. I was looking forward to going shopping with mum this weekend to get her a birthday present and now we can't go.

We tried doing local lockdowns last year and they didn't work, the virus had spread out of the areas by the time we found out. Now we're dealing with the more infectious Delta strain I can't blame them for locking all of us down, especially with Sydney being a case study in how not to deal with it. At least the regional areas have been let out a bit now.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Shonisaurus

I have suffered decomposition a few days ago (gastroenteritis) and they did an antigen test and a PCR and on the same day they told me that it was negative, it is the second time that they do it to me, the most annoying thing is the "chopsticks" that you they put in the nose, do a little damage and are very annoying.

sauroid

Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 02, 2021, 09:31:45 AM
I have suffered decomposition a few days ago (gastroenteritis) and they did an antigen test and a PCR and on the same day they told me that it was negative, it is the second time that they do it to me, the most annoying thing is the "chopsticks" that you they put in the nose, do a little damage and are very annoying.
what matters is youre negative. keep it up Shoni always stay safe
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: sauroid on September 02, 2021, 05:28:37 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on September 02, 2021, 09:31:45 AM
what matters is youre negative. keep it up Shoni always stay safe

Thanks for your words. Stay safe too. Of course, I think the danger has definitely passed. The waters of places other than my town in Madrid hurt me for a lifetime, that's why I had digestive problems until the end of August, when I arrived from my vacation in Madrid.

I believe that the battle against the coronavirus is definitely won, which is something that humanity must celebrate.

stoneage

Here in the US, I think people thought the battle was over, It doesn't appear that way to me at all.  I believe it's just begining.

Halichoeres

And it was so unnecessary. We started with one of the highest vaccination rates in the world.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2021, 10:36:16 PM
And it was so unnecessary. We started with one of the highest vaccination rates in the world.

Earlier this year, I was genuinely envious of the vaccination rate in the US and wished Canada could do as well. Now I am sickened and concerned by what I see.  :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on September 09, 2021, 11:25:41 PM

Earlier this year, I was genuinely envious of the vaccination rate in the US and wished Canada could do as well. Now I am sickened and concerned by what I see.  :(
Quite sad if you asked me. Not only are vaccines not being taken, but the less use of a mask is apparent, especially the removal of mask mandates.

Stay safe everyone. My condolences to anyone struggling or lost loved ones.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Bread on September 10, 2021, 01:11:47 AM
Quote from: suspsy on September 09, 2021, 11:25:41 PM

Quite sad if you asked me. Not only are vaccines not being taken, but the less use of a mask is apparent, especially the removal of mask mandates.

Stay safe everyone. My condolences to anyone struggling or lost loved ones.

Strength for all. I am positive and in my nation I understand that we have already won the battle totally, we have gone from high risk to medium risk and the deaths yesterday were only more than 80 people. The same will happen in the USA, Canada and in the rest of the nations of the world, it is a matter of days and hours of that happening not of weeks or months. I am highly optimistic.

ceratopsian

Mask usage is not good here in the UK now they are optional. Early in August I attended the first meeting of my local branch of the British Cactus and Succulent Society since the start of the pandemic. Everyone wore a mask (though some removed them once seated for the talk). Earlier this week I went to the second meeting. I expected a similar scenario, especially as cases are now higher and virtually all the attendees are elderly. But only three people out of the 18 wore masks, despite thronging together round the plant sales table and squeezing together into a confined airless space to stack chairs at the end. Given that we have the highest infection rate among all countries near us in Europe and 34% of daily infections are now estimated to occur amongst the fully vaccinated, and deaths and hospitalisations are still rising, this is not comforting.  People here have become complacent.

sauroid

if only people followed strict health rules (like wearing of mask, simple as that) and got vaccinated we would have controlled this pandemic by now by at least 50%.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Faelrin

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I wish I was as optimistic as you, but here the situation in the US is being dragged out because people refuse to get vaccinated (if they safely can be), and/or wear a mask. I hope things continue to improve for you and your country and you continue to stay safe.

So many states here have hospitals absolutely overrun with covid positive patients that they are running out of beds for other patients as well. It's sickening and tragic. It is so tragic to see so many that have been led astray by misinformation on social media and the news, or are just frankly too selfish. How many more lives must be lost when at least some this could have been avoided?

What's really sad is I have family members, like my own brother for instance (that has his own place and does not live with me), who have fallen for all the dangerous lies out on social media and the like, and will not get vaccinated because he worries of long term effects of the vaccines not knowing the horrors that could arise from covid itself, nevermind long covid. Nevermind the fact me and other family members did have it and suffered with it. My dad is still reaping the consequences of it nearly a year later. At least my brother is mostly responsible with wearing a mask out of the house and staying home most of the time. They are also home schooling again. Thank goodness because this is already getting out of hand at some schools, even after just being opened.

I realize this post is a lot more emotional then I usually am here but this is bringing me to a breaking point. It is so surreal to think just a few months ago we here in PA had reached a point of less then 100 new cases reported daily, only to end up with over 4,000 now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gothmog the Baryonyx

My parents are of the opinion that is masks are optional in a place then don't bother with them, seems to be the norm too.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

GojiraGuy1954

I forgot to say it here but I got my first shot in July
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shonisaurus

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I am very sorry to hear about the USA, it is truly tragic, I also recommend that your brother get vaccinated, although it is an option, I also know people who do not get vaccinated, even coworkers, and many young people who have not been vaccinated here in Spain have sick of the coronavirus and has died. Unfortunately if they had been vaccinated they would surely be with us.

In Spain, 72 percent of the population is vaccinated with the complete schedule (it is an approximate figure) and it is expected that in November 90 percent of the population will be vaccinated.

I am very sorry that your father still has not recovered, I hope there is a miracle of nature and he soon becomes well or better than he is. I see that you are discouraged and you have reasons for them, but I tell you that you must have courage! Hope is the last thing that is lost and you should not lose hope for a better tomorrow for yourself, for your family and for your nation, even if things happen that one would not want, with a positive spirit you can overcome all problems with greater security. Hopefully everything will be resolved well soon and we will not have to read such sad announcements as yours. Cheer up, Faelrin! Cheer up everyone!

JPuggy

My whole family has finally been vaccinated, and honestly this whole pandemic would probably be over by now if people just wore their darn masks and got the vaccine. I'm in the US and it is awful what people are saying. I just want to be able to go to a Target without seeing someone not wearing a mask. This entire period has been awful for me, plus the fact my best friend got covid and wasn't able to leave Brazil (he was their because of his parents jobs) Luckily he is fine now but it was still awful to hear that he couldn't even leave his house. I hope everyone here makes it through and that covid will hopefully be gone soon.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: JPuggy on September 15, 2021, 04:48:17 PM
My whole family has finally been vaccinated, and honestly this whole pandemic would probably be over by now if people just wore their darn masks and got the vaccine. I'm in the US and it is awful what people are saying. I just want to be able to go to a Target without seeing someone not wearing a mask. This entire period has been awful for me, plus the fact my best friend got covid and wasn't able to leave Brazil (he was their because of his parents jobs) Luckily he is fine now but it was still awful to hear that he couldn't even leave his house. I hope everyone here makes it through and that covid will hopefully be gone soon.

I celebrate that your whole family has been vaccinated. Let's hope that this nightmare will finally end on a global level in a very short time. It is also true as you say that if people took precautions many deaths and infections would have been avoided.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: