You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Boy, that's going to be one humongous mail parcel when the time comes. I just hope that there's no delay. I want my T. rex to arrive in September as planned.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bread

Wow, I really wish I had the space to collect figures at ~1/18 scale. This beauty is going to be outstanding, followed by the countless photographers who will make this beast shine! Definitely brings a smile to my face.

Despite myself only going for the 1/35 Rex and Trike for space purposes, I'll still be happy with them.

Quote from: Faelrin on May 25, 2022, 07:04:34 PMMy hype is off the charts for this beast, especially after watching Prehistoric Planet (still need to watch ep 3 at the time of posting this though):
Spoiler
Then you'll be even more hyped for this figure after you watch episode 3.
[close]

Faelrin

Spoiler
You called it. I definitely am, after I watched it a few afters after posting that. Plus I also want to pick up the 1/18 Velociraptor even more now too.
[close]

Man this show has really done wonders to lift my mood too, plus with Dominion releasing soon (and by extension JWE2 getting updated).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioToday we have a proper look at the smaller Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur fine-cut figures- Guanlong, Suskityrannus, Proceratosaurus, Eotyrannus, and Moros! The final versions will feature a wire in the tail, interchangeable feet, and the hands will be angled downward more.

Spoiler

[close]

Darko2300

Quote from: Bread on May 26, 2022, 03:12:21 AMWow, I really wish I had the space to collect figures at ~1/18 scale. This beauty is going to be outstanding, followed by the countless photographers who will make this beast shine! Definitely brings a smile to my face.

Despite myself only going for the 1/35 Rex and Trike for space purposes, I'll still be happy with them.

Quote from: Faelrin on May 25, 2022, 07:04:34 PMMy hype is off the charts for this beast, especially after watching Prehistoric Planet (still need to watch ep 3 at the time of posting this though):
Spoiler
[close]

So I have to ask: Are you getting the 1/35th scale Rex and the sub-adult (1/18th scale) Trike? Or the full-size one? I'm kind of driving myself crazy because the sub adult is the closest thing to scale with the 1/35 Rex, but it's still about an inch too long. (I really wish he'd decide to make a 1/35th scale Trike as a 'one off', but I'm not sure it'd sell well enough to warrant production. 😕) The 1/18 scale is certainly a blessing for some creatures and an enormous curse for others! 😅

Bread

Quote from: Darko2300 on June 09, 2022, 11:29:58 PM
Quote from: Bread on May 26, 2022, 03:12:21 AMWow, I really wish I had the space to collect figures at ~1/18 scale. This beauty is going to be outstanding, followed by the countless photographers who will make this beast shine! Definitely brings a smile to my face.

Spoiler
[close]

So I have to ask: Are you getting the 1/35th scale Rex and the sub-adult (1/18th scale) Trike? Or the full-size one? I'm kind of driving myself crazy because the sub adult is the closest thing to scale with the 1/35 Rex, but it's still about an inch too long. (I really wish he'd decide to make a 1/35th scale Trike as a 'one off', but I'm not sure it'd sell well enough to warrant production. 😕) The 1/18 scale is certainly a blessing for some creatures and an enormous curse for others! 😅
Oh yes. I am indeed getting the 1/18 sub-adult Triceratops to pose as a 1/35 Triceratops. If I am not mistaken, David said it himself that the subadult sits perfect at 1/35 scale adult.

Darko2300

Quote from: Bread on June 10, 2022, 03:47:03 AM
Quote from: Darko2300 on June 09, 2022, 11:29:58 PM

Spoiler
[close]

So I have to ask: Are you getting the 1/35th scale Rex and the sub-adult (1/18th scale) Trike? Or the full-size one? I'm kind of driving myself crazy because the sub adult is the closest thing to scale with the 1/35 Rex, but it's still about an inch too long. (I really wish he'd decide to make a 1/35th scale Trike as a 'one off', but I'm not sure it'd sell well enough to warrant production. media/?size=l 😕) The 1/18 scale is certainly a blessing for some creatures and an enormous curse for others! 😅
Oh yes. I am indeed getting the 1/18 sub-adult Triceratops to pose as a 1/35 Triceratops. If I am not mistaken, David said it himself that the subadult sits perfect at 1/35 scale adult.

I did the math, and if the 14" long Rex is 40' long in 'real life', then a 27' Triceratops (in real life) should be 9" (as a toy). The sub adult length is listed as 10.5", so it'd still be a little big. It's hard not having it in-hand, so I feeling a bit mixed about pulling the trigger. 😕

suspsy

We don't know the maximum size of Triceratops; some estimates place it as high as 12 tons. I've personally seen an as-yet undescribed specimen at the Canadian Museum of Nature's research warehouse. It consists of a large section of the frill and as far as I can tell, it's bigger than any other Triceratops. Probably a 10-12 tonner. So the smaller BotM toy should be okay with the 1/35 T. rex as long as you consider it a particularly large individual.

Darko2300

Quote from: suspsy on June 10, 2022, 01:03:00 PMBotM toy should be okay with the 1/35 T. rex as long as you consider it a particularly large individual.

To quote Dr. Grant: "Where's the fun in that?". 😄 (But really, thank you. That is a good point.)

suspsy

Darko2300

Repaints of the juvenile could easily be done for some of the larger Tyrannosaurs (Tarbosaurus, Daspletosaurus, ect.), I imagine. That'd be kind of neat to see.

EmperorDinobot

I hope to figure out where they will all permanently reside by the time they come out. They look excellent.

Duck

Quick question, do we know if the figures will be differently priced after release then they are in the backer kit? Because that 1/18 Rex looks stupendous but $229 is just way too much for me
He who dwells in pond

Bread

Quote from: Duck on June 23, 2022, 03:02:21 PMQuick question, do we know if the figures will be differently priced after release then they are in the backer kit? Because that 1/18 Rex looks stupendous but $229 is just way too much for me
I don't mean to be a downer, but the price is more likely to rise rather than decrease.

Darko2300

Quote from: Duck on June 23, 2022, 03:02:21 PMQuick question, do we know if the figures will be differently priced after release then they are in the backer kit? Because that 1/18 Rex looks stupendous but $229 is just way too much for me

I'd look to BBTS to see what the established retail prices are. The Rex isn't going to go down, I'm afraid.

Duck

He who dwells in pond

Faelrin

avatar_Duck @Duck I would suggest reaching out to David and asking about creating a payment plan/split up the payment for it, if the two of you would feel comfortable with that, and if that would be more feasible for you. He helped me with that for the ceratopsians I ordered (to be frank I also overshot it with how many I ordered, and though planned for it didn't go through. Learned not to do that again though), and despite all the financial troubles (such as covid, and my dad being fired, etc) in the way, it worked out thankfully. We also discussed doing this back at the toy fest in NJ late last year, for me to afford the 1/18th T. rex easier, but I've yet to get the ball started with that, with focusing on moving (still have yet to pre-order the 1/18th raptors and smaller ceraptopsians for the same reason).

But yes, as others have stated, they will not get cheaper. The best time for the cheapest/discounted prices is during the kickstarter. The second best time is while the backerkit store is still open.

Also in case anyone is wondering, the backerkit pre-order store stays open until the figures are ready to ship out, so for Wave 2 and 3 that will be throughout next year. Also Wave 1 is expected to ship out September but anything goes these days (though also worth mentioning David is incrediblly transparent through all of this. I would not have supported him this long if he wasn't (that is, aside from his professionalism, and excellent customer service too).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Duck

Thanks for the suggestions avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin

I'll probably end up ordering from the backerkit but I'll also look into contacting David
He who dwells in pond

Over9K

David dropped a pretty big update today, some discussion and images of the Grey rex packaging, a reiteration of the intention to deliver the Grey rexes in July, and the annoucement of some convention appearances. He'll be at San Diego Comic-Con July 21st/24th and PowerCon in Columbus, Ohio August 5th/7th>

The big news of the update was an update on the T.rexes themselves, some good news, some minor bad news, and some finecut images of some smaller species...

Quote from: Beasts Of The MesozoicT. rex mold adjustments

One of the most challenging issues that has come up while developing these figures has surprisingly been getting the mouths to close completely. It was very important to me that the mouth could be closed as I'd shown previously with the fine cut figures (I even used a photo of this on the back of the packaging). But the injection-molded test shots were unable to achieve this.

Spoiler
[close]

They had to first figure out what the problem was and then adjust the metal tooling to change the way the head and mouth parts fit together. 

So at this point, I'm happy to say that this issue is now fixed on both heads, though I don't have them in-hand just yet. Here's the updated 1/35th version...

Spoiler
[close]

And the updated 1/18th version. This was the much more complicated one to fix.

Spoiler
[close]

In addition, other recent adjustments include:

-finding the right hardness for the neck and torso that could hold the correct shape while still being flexible enough to pose.

-Getting the 1/18th scale bases to attach more securely for posed displays

-Plastic hardness was increased for the standing legs for better weight-bearing durability.

These were only the recent improvements- there've been more before this, like for instance the metal foot pins and the wires that were missing in the tail ends initially. Each new figure often goes through a few rounds of improvements before being ready for production, and the T. rex here has been one of the more complicated examples.

Wave 1 T. rex paint samples coming next month

That leads us to the latest on the Wave 1 figures. The good news is that the first paint samples for the T. rex figures are being worked on now, and I'm even expecting to have the regular versions on display at San Diego Comic Con next month! (more on that later)

The not so good news is that all four of my hand-painted T. rex prototypes were lost during shipping, not even making it out of the US. Yup, shipping problems strike again, but there was always a contingency for this. As you all know,  I take plenty of photos of each prototype to share here and on social media, but those photos also serve as reference images for the factory to follow in case something like this happens. They'll make the best paint samples they can using that photo reference, then the samples will be sent to me. I in turn finish up the paintwork, photograph the figures again and send them back. To be fair, this is the only time we've ever lost a package during the production process, but luckily it's something we've been prepared for. In any case, we're getting new paint samples of these figures soon, and I can't wait.

More Wave 1 Fine Cut photos

In the previous update, I showed the factory's photos of the remaining wave 1 fine cut figures and this time I have a few photos of my own to share. These fine cuts are back with the factory now, I've provided them with my notes, and the tooling process is underway. Expect to start seeing paint samples of these sometime in August.

Guanlong

Spoiler
[close]

One thing worth mentioning is that all of the wrists will be changed to a barbell joint for hand movement in any direction. They used disc joints on these, which worked on the large T. rex, but for smaller figures, I found it too limiting, especially for posing the hands in more natural resting positions.

Juvenile T. rex

Spoiler
[close]

Also worth noting- the juvenile rex, as well as its other 'body 2' counterparts, will have small foot pegs in the base for temporary, free-standing poses. Though the posing rods will still be included for long-term display options.

Dilong

Spoiler
[close]

The tail on this Dilong is actually plugged in too low. Expect this to have the same tail attachment as the deluxe raptors, with a high and a low tail plug. The reversed hands however- well that's on me. ..

Yutyrannus

Spoiler
[close]

Do you spot the new piece? That's right, the base will include an optional add-on portion which can be used with both the Body 3 base (above) and the Body 4 base (below). And of course it will use the same connector tab that comes with the 1/18th scale T. rex.

Spoiler
[close]

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: