News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBDINO

After seeing that prehistoric planet teaser trailer I hope down the road we can vote for a figure to be  painted like the one in the documentary.

Eocarcharia

New image of the T. rex and 1/18 Raptor and Ceratopsian test shots, plus a look at the 1/18 T. rex standing on its own.

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioThe new samples are here! I'm looking over these brand new Beasts of the Mesozoic test shots as well as the green Triceratops paint sample now. Expect more in-depth coverage on these items next week!

suspsy

It's a huge relief to see that the big T. rex can stand on its own two feet. I probably will be displaying it in a standing pose like this as opposed to something more active. I don't dare risk a fall, not with something this big and this expensive!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

I'm very impressed by the BotM Tyrannosaur Series!  I liked the colourations used in the Raptor Series a lot, but I didn't find the colourations used in the Ceratopsian series worked well personally.  The Tyrannosaur series has gone back to having colourations I like a lot, and I'm very interested in a number of these figures!  Right now I'd like to get the Albertosaurus, Bistahieversor, Daspletosaurus, Gorgosaurus, Lythronax, Qianzhousaurus, Tarbosaurus and Yutyrannus.  Thanks avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin for doing such a great job in the original post of this thread, it was very helpful to be able to look at several good photos of each figure.

Eocarcharia

New update featuring the 1/18 T. rex test shot:

Quote from: Creative Beast Studio
Here's a look at the massive 27" Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaurus rex test shot figure! Being the very first example of this figure, it's not flawless, but man it is cool and provides a bit of a workout to pose it around. I have the factory 'debugging' a few items on this guy now such as using longer base pins for the feet (metal), a closer fit for the neck to head connection, and a jaw that opens a bit wider and closes completely. And despite the foot pin issue, I was still able to achieve some cool poses on base and it actually stands quite well without it as long as the standing lower legs are used. I'll have more updates on this as we progress, plus, we'll be checking out the smaller, 1/35th scale version soon!

Spoiler

[close]

Carnoking

Love that he's still trying to make it "better". I have a hard time believing it gets much better than this!

suspsy

I think the last time I was this excited about an upcoming dinosaur toy was all the way back in 1988. What was the toy, you ask? The Dino-Riders T. rex, appropriately enough!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

LBDINO

It would be cool if down the road David does fan votes and includes some of the paint schemes from the new prehistoric planet doc. Would love a t rex or triceratops in a paint scheme based off the show and maybe a 1/18 baby t rex and triceratops aswell

Creature

I wasn't able to back this Kickstarter, and I'm so sad about it. They're looking amazing. Hopefully circumstances will improve enough for me to grab a couple from the pre-order store.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

Eocarcharia

New update feat. Yutyrannus progress:

I've received brand new images from the factory of the Beasts of the Mesozoic Yutyrannus fine-cut figure, and it's looking really cool! They still have yet to do the standing legs, but apparently it can balance using the jointed legs without a base. I'm expecting to have more Tyrannosaur Series fine-cut updates soon!

Spoiler

[close]

Faelrin

@Eocharcharia I want to thank you and anyone else who has been doing wonders in keeping this thread updated and active. My interest levels in maintaining any of my threads (and DTC site volunteer stuff) has been very low. It's very likely because of my depression (even though I think I feel fine on the surface, it's a chemical imbalance in my brain that needs addressing still unfortunately, and I don't think the current med or dosage is working).

Edit: I do want to add that it is nice to see how another sculpt is coming along now in production, and the Yutyrannus is actually one of the ones I'm most anticipating, maybe even more then the very impressive big T. rex. I think it's just because I'm not as interested in Tyrannosaurus these days as I am with Carnotaurus, Yutyrannus, Spinosaurus, and others (though that isn't to say I don't still love it, or find it incredibly fascinating, especially as the science progresses and even historically). Like I guess it feels too vanilla/plain to me these days, with Triceratops as another example, because of the excessive familiarity maybe. Maybe someone here gets what I mean/how I feel? And this is coming from someone where it was often tied with the JP raptor as my favorite dinosaur growing up even into my mid 20's (and I guess alongside Allosaurus too after watching Ballad of Big Al as a kid). Maybe with Prehistoric Planet coming out, it will help renew the spark for my interest in it again.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eocarcharia

Updates on 1/35 T. rex and Dilong -

We have a look at another Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaurus rex test shot today- this time it's the 1/35th scale version! Due to the smaller size (14") it's a bit easier to pose this one verses its 27" counterpart. The foot pegs for this test shot are too short, but I was still able to pull off some cool poses.

Spoiler

[close]

More first wave fine cuts from the Beasts of the Mesozoic: Tyrannosaur Series are in the works now, and here's a look at the 1/6th scale Dilong direct from the factory! It should be noted though that the collar will be flexible and glued to the head- also, the tail base is upside down in these photos. That aside, I'm super pleased with how this is looking so far!

Darko2300

So it looks like you can still pre-order the Tyrannosaur series even if you didn't back the project - is this true, or am I missing something here?  :o

https://beasts-of-the-mesozoic-tyrannosaur-series.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/377152

Flaffy

Quote from: Darko2300 on May 10, 2022, 05:16:05 PM
So it looks like you can still pre-order the Tyrannosaur series even if you didn't back the project - is this true, or am I missing something here?  :o

https://beasts-of-the-mesozoic-tyrannosaur-series.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/377152

Pre-orders are open to the public. Save for the Kickstater exclusives, all BotM figures are available for public pre-order and purchase.
The link you posted would be the public pre-order store. The KS backer pre-order store had even lower prices than that, which is why it's always a good idea to support the project during it's funding period to secure the lowest possible prices.

Concavenator

I recently sold the PNSO Qianzhousaurus, I think the BotM is nicer. That said, I'm not a fan of the colors, in fact, it's actually one of my least favorite colour schemes of all the tyrants. I know the colours were inspired (as with the rest of the line) from extant animals (a snake in this case), but in this particular case it just doesn't look natural to me.

I'm hoping for a Fans' Choice Prehistoric Planet coloration inspired Qianzhousaurus. Also, with the impact Prehistoric Planet is having, I imagine it would be a great seller!

Faelrin

There was a post yesterday regarding fine cuts for the small tyrannosauroids. I'll try to add the images after I get to my laptop unless another here wants to do so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdYusStLFxU/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Darko2300

That post made me go and order a Guanlong for myself. Curse you, David!  ;D

Eocarcharia

Here ya go:

There's more BotM Tyrannosaur Series progress to show today, this time it's for the little ones. Direct from the factory, here are the fine-cuts for the Body 1 figures- Proceratosaurus, Guanlong (with the wrong neck), Eotyrannus, Suskityrannus, and Moros!
Spoiler

[close]

Proceratosaurus looking fabulous as always.

Quote from: Concavenator on May 11, 2022, 01:10:48 PM
I'm hoping for a Fans' Choice Prehistoric Planet coloration inspired Qianzhousaurus. Also, with the impact Prehistoric Planet is having, I imagine it would be a great seller!
Ooh, that does sound nice. Makes me glad I put off ordering the Qianzhousaurus for now.

Darko2300

Quote from: Eocarcharia on May 12, 2022, 02:02:59 PM
Ooh, that does sound nice. Makes me glad I put off ordering the Qianzhousaurus for now.

I'm so on board with this idea. That color scheme really *could* look fantastic. How and when are fan color schemes decided, anyway? Is there a system, or does David just drop new things every once in awhile if he feel like there's enough demand? 'Cause if we need to start a campaign... 😁

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: