News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeapingLaelaps

I was honestly kind of hoping he would use snakes as inspiration for sauropod colors but... If he does use snakes for tyrannosaur colors my dream would be to have ones based on these two fellas:

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on March 15, 2020, 08:01:51 PM
I was honestly kind of hoping he would use snakes as inspiration for sauropod colors but...

Admittedly getting a little ahead of myself here, but if he does do Sauropods I'd love if he based them off of long-necked birds like Cranes, Water Fowl, and Herons.

Spoiler
And I'd love some game fowl based Hadrosaurs and some turtle based Ankylosaurs
[close]

stargatedalek

I'd rather turtles for sauropods, they are after all the modern animal group actually using their necks as display features.

terrorchicken

QuoteAside from maybe big cats, I don't believe he's going to go with any mammal group.

cats?  Id personally find that too distracting.  :o

Snakes are fine as long as he doesn't do something too well known like coral snake or emerald boa.

Jose S.M.

I guess some of them are going to be feathered (besides Yutyrannus) so maybe he can be inspired by birds for those, although that may be repetitive since the raptor series was based on birds, . Well there are hundreds of birds to take inspiration from so it's not necessarily going to be repetitive.

Faelrin

avatar_LeapingLaelaps @LeapingLaelaps What's that tiger like colored snake?

I do like some of the suggestions here though. A mix would be nice too (birds, snakes, monitor lizards, etc).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Faelrin on March 16, 2020, 04:40:34 AM
avatar_LeapingLaelaps @LeapingLaelaps What's that tiger like colored snake?

I do like some of the suggestions here though. A mix would be nice too (birds, snakes, monitor lizards, etc).

That's a cape coral snake (Aspidelaps lubricus) :)

Killekor

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 15, 2020, 08:15:40 PM
Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on March 15, 2020, 08:01:51 PM
I was honestly kind of hoping he would use snakes as inspiration for sauropod colors but...

Admittedly getting a little ahead of myself here, but if he does do Sauropods I'd love if he based them off of long-necked birds like Cranes, Water Fowl, and Herons.

Spoiler
And I'd love some game fowl based Hadrosaurs and some turtle based Ankylosaurs
[close]

I would actually like an inspiration like that for Coelophysis-like dinosaurs!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 13, 2020, 02:15:12 AM
Mah baby Dilong got in! ;D

I'm going to have to wait pending their individual designs, but Dilong and Guanlong are both probably going on my list.

Yeeees  :))
I am already super excited for all the feathered ones.

As for snakes as the color inspirations, I too would have liked to see that on sauropods. But on the other hand, maybe their long necks and tails would have made this look too literal. Like Kaiyodo Dinotales Brachiosaurus is beautiful but every time
I look at it I see a snake stapled onto an elephant's body :P

With different body proportions the snake skins might look very appealing. And certainly less obvious with some tweaks here and there.
If he plans on going this route I hope it'll be the same for all of them. No exceptions for the feathered ones. Putting a reptile pattern on feathers might look very striking!

Nanuqsaurus

So, no Nanuqsaurus? Ah, alright then. I'll be here, waiting for the day my fluffy little polar bear lizard will finally be made in toy form.

suspsy

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on March 19, 2020, 02:19:02 PM
So, no Nanuqsaurus? Ah, alright then. I'll be here, waiting for the day my fluffy little polar bear lizard will finally be made in toy form.

The sad fact is that it's in the same class as Dynamoterror: only known from a few little bits and pieces. I get the impression that David only wants to do tyrannosaurs known from complete or near complete skull material.

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Halzk

Quote from: suspsy on March 19, 2020, 04:06:49 PM
The sad fact is that it's in the same class as Dynamoterror: only known from a few little bits and pieces. I get the impression that David only wants to do tyrannosaurs known from complete or near complete skull material.
I was hoping for Dynamoterror but I expected that it wouldn't be made for this exact reason :-\

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on March 19, 2020, 02:19:02 PM

It probably wouldn't have feathers anyways given the scaly Teratophoneus.

Quote from: suspsy on March 19, 2020, 04:06:49 PM

-image-

Moros is known from some teeth and a leg. I think it's more that he didn't want to overextend himself like with the Ceratopsian series.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Only just seen this so apologies in advance for the disjointed post. If the 1:35 scale figure had been Daspletosaurus or one of the others, I would have been interested, but as it happens now, all the Tyrannosaurids are just too big, I will aim to get at least one or two of the smaller Tyrannosauroids, maybe an Alectrosaurus
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

The heel region in the shadow image version of the series is a bit larger in the left leg especially and the left leg is a bit thinner too. Please correct this little issue in the final model. I shall be highly glad to see the newly discovered Daspletosaurus horneri (1/18th scale)and Zhuchengtyrannus (1/18th scale) to be included in the final list.

suspsy

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 22, 2020, 07:01:36 PM
Only just seen this so apologies in advance for the disjointed post. If the 1:35 scale figure had been Daspletosaurus or one of the others, I would have been interested, but as it happens now, all the Tyrannosaurids are just too big, I will aim to get at least one or two of the smaller Tyrannosauroids, maybe an Alectrosaurus

At 16", the 1:35 T. rex really won't end up being super big. This DitW T. rex I reviewed awhile ago is nearly 18" long, so the BotM one won't dwarf the CollectA and Safari and Papo figures all that much.

http://dinotoyblog.com/2018/11/12/tyrannosaurus-rex-dinosaurs-in-the-wild-by-ivs-group-ltd/

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on March 23, 2020, 05:04:37 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on March 22, 2020, 07:01:36 PM

At 16", the 1:35 T. rex really won't end up being super big. This DitW T. rex I reviewed awhile ago is nearly 18" long, so the BotM one won't dwarf the CollectA and Safari and Papo figures all that much.

http://dinotoyblog.com/2018/11/12/tyrannosaurus-rex-dinosaurs-in-the-wild-by-ivs-group-ltd/

To be fair, these figures are pricier for their size than those from the major companies, so I see where they're coming from (and I say this as someone who's planning to get the 1:35 T. rex).

suspsy

Ravonium

Wait, even the feathered ones?

Also, unsure how to feel about the 1:35 T. rex being the Kickstarter exclusive this time around.

EDIT: As it turns out, both of these are clarified by the text of the FB post; thanks to stargatedalek and Faelrin for pointing this out; hopefully this will teach me to actually read the post next time instead of just briefly glancing at the picture.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ravonium on March 24, 2020, 04:18:05 PM
Wait, even the feathered ones?

Also, unsure how to feel about the 1:35 T. rex being the Kickstarter exclusive this time around.
A repaint of it will be the exclusive, not the only 1:35 Tyrannosaurus.

I for one like that the exclusives are limited to repaints only. Not everyone has access to buying through Kickstarter.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.