News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Wren

Quote from: andrewsaurus on May 05, 2021, 10:22:57 PM
beside Yutyrannus, do any of the figures in this series have feathers sculpted on them?

Dryptosaurus, Dilong, Guanlong, Proceratosaurus, and Suskityrannus all have feathers. Not sure if there are any others.
Check out my customs thread!

suspsy

Moros and Eotyrannus have feathers as well.

The finished Albertosaurus artwork should be revealed this week!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

andrewsaurus rex

great, glad to hear that so many figures are feathered.   I gather the juvenile Rex doesn't have feathers then; not sure how I feel about that.

I was sorry to see Alioramus wasn't included in this series.  Perhaps like the ceratopsian series, there may be plans to add more figures down the road.

Faelrin

A @andrewsaurus There are images added to the first post on the first page of this thread of the current sculpts and concept art in case you would like to take a look at them. You are correct that the juvenile T. rex does not have any feathers. To sum it up though, most of the tyrannosauroids featured are feathered (the 2 exceptions being Alectrosaurus and Bistahieversor), while the tyrannosaurids are not. Once we start getting some package art reveals those will be added as well.

To sum it up though, these are the feathered ones (from small to large):
1/6th Dilong paradoxus
1/6th Moros intrepidus
1/18th  Suskityrannus hazelae
1/18th  Eotyrannus lengi
1/18th  Guanlong wucaii
1/18th  Proceratosaurus bradleyi
1/18th  Yutyrannus huali
1/18th  Dryptosaurus aquilunguis

These are the scaly ones (from small to large):
1/18th  Alectrosaurus olseni
1/18th  Teratophoneus curriei
1/18th  Qianzhousaurus sinensis
1/18th  juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex
1/35th  Tyrannosaurus rex
1/18th  Lythronax argestes
1/18th  Bistahieversor sealeyi
1/18th  Gorgosaurus libratus
1/18th  Albertosaurus sarcophagus
1/18th  Daspletosaurus torosus
1/18th  Tarbosaurus bataar
1/18th  Tyrannosaurus rex

Also I am surprised no one has shared this partial revealed (wip?) package art of Bistahieversor (featuring Pentaceratops) yet. Raul Ramos is the artist for this one (who did many of the artworks for the ceratopsian series as well). Granted I was aware of it, but haven't had the chance quite yet to add it.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

I guess I never paid attention before now, but there are less of these than the ceratopsians?

suspsy

Yeah, there are fewer tyrannosaurs than ceratopsians, but that appears to have been the case in real life anyway. There are way more ceratopsid species in North America than there are tyrannosaurs.

As I noted before, I think the most glaring omissions from the series are Zhuchengtyrannus, Alioramus, Sinotyrannus, and Xiongguanlong. Those all would have been great figures, and Zhuchengtyrannus might even have justified a whole new size class for it and the Tarbosaurus. As it stands, poor Tarbosaurus is stuck being the same size as Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus, and Gorgosaurus when in fact it was around twice the weight of those three.

Nanuqsaurus has a cool name and location, but it's only known from a fragment of upper jaw. Thanatotheristes may possibly be an early species of Daspletosaurus and Dynamoterror is currently only known from tiny bits and pieces.

suspsy

Gabriel Ugueto just revealed that he's doing some of the package art, including the Proceratosaurus! I'm a big fan of his work, so this is most welcome news!

https://www.facebook.com/100063524283004/posts/161665929294216/?d=n

Still hope that Ezra Tucker does another Dino-Riders style portrait for the KS exclusive T. rex, though.

Eocarcharia

Is it just me, or does the artwork not really match the colors of the Proceratosaurus concept art? Then again, it does say WIP, so maybe it will change.

suspsy

Quote from: Eocarcharia on May 06, 2021, 04:06:14 PM
Is it just me, or does the artwork not really match the colors of the Proceratosaurus concept art? Then again, it does say WIP, so maybe it will change.

There's definitely more brown on the back, and darker colouring on the head. We'll see what the finished piece is like.

suspsy

David Silva has confirmed that Gabriel Ugueto has updated the Proceratosaurus' design, so that is what the figure will look like. I wonder how many more tyrannosaurs will receive tweaking?

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy I just caught wind of this because I follow him on instagram. I love his artwork. I am really glad to see that he will be contributing some to this. And I like the slight redesign, or color tweak for the Proceratosaurus too. I hope there will be updated concept art to match as well.

Edit: Did David mention if there a new bird chosen, or was this just some coloration tweaks mainly?

For folks that want to see it without having to access social media sites:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

lots of good info today.  I am sorry to learn of Tarbosaurus being so small.  He'll essentially be about 1/24 scale-ish at that size.  If true i'll have to pass on that one.  Shame.

suspsy

Well, Bali mynas certainly don't have any brown on their backs, so I guess it could be a new bird, or maybe it's just "partly inspired" by the myna. Guess we'll wait and see.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: suspsy on May 06, 2021, 04:38:31 PM
David Silva has confirmed that Gabriel Ugueto has updated the Proceratosaurus' design, so that is what the figure will look like. I wonder how many more tyrannosaurs will receive tweaking?
Cool. I like the new color scheme more compared to the stark white and blue originally chosen.

Quote from: andrewsaurus on May 06, 2021, 05:55:18 PM
lots of good info today.  I am sorry to learn of Tarbosaurus being so small.  He'll essentially be about 1/24 scale-ish at that size.  If true i'll have to pass on that one.  Shame.
If that's the case then I will probably pass as well. In truth, I was already considering that one as one I could skip to save space and money. This would make that decision all the more likely to happen.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I'd prefer a 1:25 ish scale Tarbosaurus over a 1:18 scale one, it will be close to scale with the PNSO Pinacosaurus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Giganotosaurus

Yeah, I will skip the Tarbo as well, scale discrepancies always disappoint me.
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

suspsy

It is unfortunate about the Tarbosaurus' planned size, but considering that the Kickstarter for the ceratopsians didn't do as well as hoped, maybe David is concerned about getting as many tyrannosaurs made as possible. And that was pre-pandemic. The 1/18 Tyrannosaurus rex will end up getting unlocked regardless of whatever its price tag turns out to be; we all know full well it's in a league all by itself. A really big Tarbosaurus toy's chances of success are not as good. :(

andrewsaurus rex

depending on how the model looks I may still get it as a sub-adult

https://ibb.co/1RkkS6L

suspsy

The Albertosaurus artwork is completed and up on social media now. That's all of them!

I wonder if David will do another glow-in-the-dark toy like he did with the Avaceratops. Maybe the 1/35 T. rex? That would probably sell well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: