News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I absolutely love how this turned out (though I am biased because I do like the coloration of the lizard chosen to begin with). Going on my wishlist for sure. I'll get this added to the op here in a bit.

Edit: Added now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Gabriel Ugueto just posted another teaser for package art. Looks like the Daspletosaurus!

https://www.facebook.com/serpenillus/posts/166939405433535
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

suspsy

Officially confirmed as Daspletosaurus now. I really like this one. Gabriel Ugueto has also stated that he's doing one more package art piece in addition to this one and the Proceratosaurus.

https://www.facebook.com/113487525333128/posts/4765469126801588/?d=n

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Well, the Proceratosaurus was already a must. I hope the 3rd one hes doing is of another one I want to buy. I love Gabriel's art
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Flaffy

Flaffy

Can anyone tell if the arms have been appropriately shrunken in size? The digital prototype was pointed out to have oversized arms.
Hopefully the foot pads were made thicker too, they were really thin in the digital model.

Faelrin

The arms look smaller to me, but well I'm also drugged up on painkillers. Might not be the most reliable right now. I'm kind of comparing the proportions to the feet in both images though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: triceratops83 on April 30, 2021, 11:44:21 PM
Quote from: Eocarcharia on April 30, 2021, 10:04:18 PM
BTW, does anyone know where this picture comes from or who made it?

I think I remember that picture from a website called the Dinosauricon, which listed all known genera of dinosaurs and also had an extensive art section. Surely someone else here knows what I am talking about? This was years ago.

I had definitely forgotten about the Dinosauricon, but yeah, I really liked that site once upon a time.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Eocarcharia on May 19, 2021, 02:38:52 PM
Yutyrannus painting in progress:

I like how this Yutyrannus and the ones from Safari and PNSO have drastically different colour schemes. Be neat to see them all together.

andrewsaurus rex

would have preferred it have more white on it, especially on the sides.  Having it on the dorsal surfaces like that doesn't make a lot of sense, unless it's trying to hide from air strikes.  :)

Stegotyranno420

I agree but its a in progress, its not finished yet

andrewsaurus rex

but I don't think it's going to change much.  The concept art looks pretty much the same.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/botm/images/e/ec/Yh_Concept.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200518195122

If that is how it looks when finished I will def consider adding more white to it myself...

stargatedalek

Quote from: andrewsaurus on May 19, 2021, 05:23:06 PM
would have preferred it have more white on it, especially on the sides.  Having it on the dorsal surfaces like that doesn't make a lot of sense, unless it's trying to hide from air strikes.  :)
A predator this size is not going to have a practical application for camouflage anyway unless it's aquatic or laying on a nest.

andrewsaurus rex

hmm...i would disagree with that.   Assuming a snowy environment, being all white is a definite advantage for both predator and prey. 

In the case of a predator, the closer it can get to potential prey without being spotted the more advantageous it is because it reduces reaction time for the prey.  If the predator isn't white, in an all white environment, then it would be spotted at a much greater distance by prey animals and would not even get a chance to attack.  Being camouflaged in an all white environment is probably even more important than any other terrestrial environment because there is probably little cover around.

Polar bears are quite large yet they evolved to be white, so there must be a significant advantage to it.

Flaffy

Quote from: andrewsaurus on May 19, 2021, 10:24:23 PM
hmm...i would disagree with that.   Assuming a snowy environment, being all white is a definite advantage for both predator and prey. 

In the case of a predator, the closer it can get to potential prey without being spotted the more advantageous it is because it reduces reaction time for the prey.  If the predator isn't white, in an all white environment, then it would be spotted at a much greater distance by prey animals and would not even get a chance to attack.  Being camouflaged in an all white environment is probably even more important than any other terrestrial environment because there is probably little cover around.

Polar bears are quite large yet they evolved to be white, so there must be a significant advantage to it.

I think you're overestimating how cold Yixian actually was. Current estimates put average temperatures of the formation at 10°C (or 50°F). While cold snowy winters likely occurred, Yixian was mostly a temperate formation with 4 distinct seasons rather than experiencing polar/sub-arctic conditions. Yutyrannus likely was not entirely white unlike many terrestrial predators of the poles.

Then again, one could definitely argue for a "winter variant" of the Yutyrannus (keep in mind, theres currently no fossil evidence to support this), where it would shed it's "summer" coat for a white, winter one. Hence why I personally thought it would be a  neat idea to have 2 variant paint schemes of the BotM Yutyrannus. Given how popular the genus is nowadays, I'm sure both Summer and Winter versions will sell.

andrewsaurus rex

yes I guess I should have clarified my comments a bit.  I wasn't thinking it was winter conditions year round.  The white Yutyrannus I've been talking about would be a 'winter coat'.

I guess my core beef with the paint scheme as is, is that it is neither nor.  It doesn't make much sense to have a blend of chalk white areas and brownish areas.  And if it's supposed to be a transitional look during change of seasons it should be more tatty looking.  The way it is now it looks like camouflage on a military vehicle. 

I like the winter and summer variant idea and may get 2 and do that myself.  :)

By the way, has there ever been any discussion about Yutyrannus' feet?  If it truly lived in snowy conditions, large feet or webbed toes would be needed.  I can't see a large biped moving well in the snow without them.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: suspsy on May 19, 2021, 02:58:42 PM
Quote from: Eocarcharia on May 19, 2021, 02:38:52 PM
Yutyrannus painting in progress:

I like how this Yutyrannus and the ones from Safari and PNSO have drastically different colour schemes. Be neat to see them all together.

I explode when thinking about that. Fantastic.

Bread

Quote from: andrewsaurus on May 20, 2021, 04:44:03 AM
By the way, has there ever been any discussion about Yutyrannus' feet?  If it truly lived in snowy conditions, large feet or webbed toes would be needed.  I can't see a large biped moving well in the snow without them.
Like mentioned earlier, since Yixian formation is not completely dominated by polar weather conditions I would assume webbed toes is not necessary for Yutyrannus. Nanuqsaurus would be a better debate for whether this therapod had webbed toes. Would be an interesting debate.

Anyways.... I really like the color choice David is proposing on this Yutyrannus. I am not a fan of Yutyrannus being completely white as a therapod like this would have had fall like or earth like coloring. Maybe I shall get both this and PNSO's Yutyrannus O:-)

suspsy

Plenty of modern animals live in frigid or temperate regions without any need for oversized or webbed feet. Arctic wolves certainly don't have those, although they do have thick padding on their paws to help them grip cold surfaces. It is possible that there were polar dinosaurs with similar adaptations, but the chances of such tissue being preserved is pretty slim. It certainly would be a neat discovery.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: