News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Shouldn't Dryptosaurus, as a basal tyrannosauroid, have three-fingered claws, rather than two, which, afaik, is a characteristic of tyrannosaurids (the more advanced tyrannosauroids)? (Based on the concept already posted it looks like it will have three-fingered claws).

Appalachiosaurus

Either
Quote from: Concavenator on August 06, 2021, 07:54:24 PM
Shouldn't Dryptosaurus, as a basal tyrannosauroid, have three-fingered claws, rather than two, which, afaik, is a characteristic of tyrannosaurids (the more advanced tyrannosauroids)? (Based on the concept already posted it looks like it will have three-fingered claws).

It's not that basal, either two or three fingers is fine given we don't have a lot of arm material from that part of the phylogeny.

suspsy

It's a shame those new remains of Dynamoterror weren't found and revealed a year or so earlier. David might well have included it in the series. Could have just reused the Teratophoneus mould.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Eocarcharia

Quote from: suspsy on August 08, 2021, 11:55:21 AM
It's a shame those new remains of Dynamoterror weren't found and revealed a year or so earlier. David might well have included it in the series. Could have just reused the Teratophoneus mould.
Well, never say never, right?

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: suspsy on August 08, 2021, 11:55:21 AM

Not sure if that's why Dynamoterror was omitted. After all, Moros and Suskityrannus were described the year after Dynamoterror, but they are part of the series. Plus, even though I'm all for more tyrannosauroids, Dynamoterror is especially fragmentary, and apparently not too dissimilar to Lythronax and Teratophoneus. If David was going to add more to the roster, I'd have preferred Alioramus, Xiongguanlong, and/or Juratyrant, them being fairly complete themselves. Still not sure why they were omitted in place of Moros and Alectrosaurus. But that's just me.

suspsy

More images of the in-progress Dryptosaurus are on Facebook. Damnation. It's going to be hell making space for a 46 cm long toy. Sometimes I wish BotM was at a slightly smaller scale.

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on August 12, 2021, 07:00:47 PM
More images of the in-progress Dryptosaurus are on Facebook. Damnation. It's going to be hell making space for a 46 cm long toy. Sometimes I wish BotM was at a slightly smaller scale.
I also agree, and I assume a lot of other collectors wish this too. Generally, I think the mid to large size Tyrannosaurs should have remained 1/25th to 1/35th scale range, meanwhile the smaller Tyrannosaurs could remain in their 1/18th scale.

Then again, some of the ceratopsians would have to follow the scale their co-existed Tyrannosaurs.

I wonder if David has received comments like this often. Given the assumption that collectors primarily have ~1/35th scale figures.

suspsy

Quote from: Bread on August 13, 2021, 12:17:49 AM
Quote from: suspsy on August 12, 2021, 07:00:47 PM
I also agree, and I assume a lot of other collectors wish this too. Generally, I think the mid to large size Tyrannosaurs should have remained 1/25th to 1/35th scale range, meanwhile the smaller Tyrannosaurs could remain in their 1/18th scale.

Then again, some of the ceratopsians would have to follow the scale their co-existed Tyrannosaurs.

I wonder if David has received comments like this often. Given the assumption that collectors primarily have ~1/35th scale figures.

I feel the same way about the ceratopsians for that matter. I'd love to have the Torosaurus to pit against the big T. rex, but it would have to camp out on the floor next to the display case. Alternatively, I'd have to put away a bunch of my current ceratopsians and I don't want to do that.

BotM sauropods will definitely have to be around 1/35 scale.

stargatedalek

I am very happy for big theropods. I collect primarily in 1:12 ("six inch scale") and I already have to fudge numbers to get these in. Options besides the Mattel super colossal just haven't existed until now.

Flaffy

IIRC a lot of the 1/18 ceratopsians are way oversized anyways and don't fit the advertised scale.
I stand by that a 1/24 or 1/35 scale would've been much better for anything larger than 2 meters.

I wonder how David is scaling the Tyrannosaur figures this time, and if there will be a significant discrepancy in scale for the species being represented.

Bread

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 13, 2021, 04:46:14 AM
I am very happy for big theropods. I collect primarily in 1:12 ("six inch scale") and I already have to fudge numbers to get these in. Options besides the Mattel super colossal just haven't existed until now.
I honestly would be happy to collect large scale figures, like you mentioned, but again the issue for some and myself is the limited space at which we can display these figures. I'd be curious to see someone or yourself display these and how much room they really take up. I am slowly parting with some of my collection just to fit some of these Tyrannosaurs on my shelves.

Bread

Also has anyone posted images of the Guanlong's prototype/color applications in progress? Antediluvianimals (aka Mike) has posted images on instagram of the progress he has made working on the Guanlong's paint applications. If not, I'll post them later today. A figure I am reallt excited for now and will probably be an immediate figure to fund for.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Bread on August 13, 2021, 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 13, 2021, 04:46:14 AM
I honestly would be happy to collect large scale figures, like you mentioned, but again the issue for some and myself is the limited space at which we can display these figures. I'd be curious to see someone or yourself display these and how much room they really take up. I am slowly parting with some of my collection just to fit some of these Tyrannosaurs on my shelves.
To the contrary, when almost nothing gets made in the scale you collect, that makes space a lot less of a concern. Most of what does get made are very small animals, with the occasional larger than normal JP figure breaking that up a bit.

Faelrin

avatar_Bread @Bread I did here, unless it has since been updated.

That reminds me I need to add the Dryptosaurus to the sculpts section of the op.

Edit: David also recently shared (like the other day I think) another wip update for the Dryptosaurus sculpt (with the feathers and/or filaments being refined now, more pics on the social media sites):

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

David just posted a gallery of the 1/18th scale rex. This thing can't possibly get here soon enough.
https://www.facebook.com/113487525333128/posts/5045409158807582/?d=n

Reuben03

Quote from: Carnoking on August 13, 2021, 08:01:59 PM
David just posted a gallery of the 1/18th scale rex. This thing can't possibly get here soon enough.
https://www.facebook.com/113487525333128/posts/5045409158807582/?d=n
cant see, dont have facebook. anyway u could maybe share the images? thanks :)

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Faelrin

avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03 Here you go, along with anyone else (not all the pics, but most):

These next batch of pics really sells how big this one is!:

I'll be updating the op again with a few of these.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reuben03

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Carnoking

Couldn't share the images at the time so I'm glad Faelrin was around.

indohyus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: