News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gaming Miniatures and other Small-Scale Figures

Started by Justin_, April 15, 2020, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin_

* PLEASE NOTE: THIS POST IS A WORK-IN-PROGRESS *

This is a listing of small-scale dinosaur and other prehistoric animal figures. It is primarily for metal or resin miniatures intended for table-top gaming but will also include kits and 3D printed figures of similar size. It is posted under Dinosaur Kits since these figures usually require painting and basing.

Scale for gaming miniatures is usually given in millimetres, based on the height of an average human up to eye level. The most popular scales for prehistoric gaming are 28mm which is approximately 1/56 and 15mm which is 1/120. Some companies make 10mm scale which is approximately 1/182. 1/72 and 1/144 seem to be the usual scales for the smallest Shapeways models. (See Wikipedia for a more comprehensive list of scales.)

Acheson Creations stock both 28mm and 15mm figures by Primaeval Designs.

Antideluvian Miniatures' Lost World range includes 28mm versions of Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins' Crystal Palace dinosaurs; Charles Knight's leaping laelaps and a very handsome Ray Harryhausen-style retrosaurus:

Khurasan Miniatures make a selection of 1/100 scale dinosaurs from the Hell Creek and Morrison Formations.

Magister Militum sell a series of 10mm (1/160) dinosaurs. All figures in this tiny scale tend to look a bit on the chunky side which is necessary to be able to cast them in pewter properly. Some might work well with slightly larger scales as juveniles.

They list a 15mm Lambeosaurus and 28mm Dinofelis and Miracinonyx, but these are the Primaeval Designs ones from Acheson Creations.

Deezee Miniatures have some nice 28mm mammals such as this bellowing mammoth.

Also crocodiles which could be used as small species in dioramas of larger scales.

A search for dinosaurs on Reaper Miniatures website brings up this mixed batch of nicely-sculpted but inaccurate 25mm dinosaurs along with dinosaur-based fantasy creatures.

No dinosaurs but 28mm prehistoric humans and other mammals by Steve Barber Models. They also have some rather squashed-looking cycads and slightly anachronistic clubmoss trees.

Most of Iron Winds Metals dinosaurs are very outdated reconstructions but I believe they are mainly sculpts originally produced by Ral Partha back in the 1990s. The Ceratosaurus is probably the best of the bunch:

I'm personally rather fond of this very retro Monoclonius

Quick Reaction Force have a small range of 15mm Triassic figures for their Try-To-Survive-Asaurus rules. The only dinosaurs are Coelophysis and both young and adult Plateosaurus, but there is also a Postosuchus, Cynodont, Placerias, Phytosaur and Stagonolepis.

Copplestone Castings make a 28mm young T-Rex which appears to have been copied from the Tamiya Mesozoic Beasts one, plus a pair of naked Oviraptors. They are probably the only company to produce a palaeontologist and fossils in any scale!

The Honourable Lead Boiler Suit Company have a series of 28mm dinosaurs and marine reptiles. The T-Rex and Oviraptors look the same as the Copplestone Castings ones and the raptors are clearly copied from Tamiya's 1/35th ones.

Raptors crop up a lot as the sole dinosaur in series of fantasy and sci-fi figures such as these by Gary Hunt, Bombshell Miniatures and Stonehaven Miniatures.
There is a pair of 28mm feathered raptors in EMP Games' Age Of Adventure series which also has a pair of Dimorphodons and this slightly grumpy-looking Pachycephalosaurus.

ITdactyl

Halichoeres

My favorite one from Acheson is the Cotylorhynchus. Nobody else makes one, which is a scandal!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

I love the "retro" monoclonius you have shown. I would like some brand in the near future to make retro dinosaurs in the toy market and not just in resin or metal figures.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 26, 2020, 04:35:09 PM
My favorite one from Acheson is the Cotylorhynchus. Nobody else makes one, which is a scandal!

I have several Acheson figures but have never gotten around to the Cotylorhynchus. I should remedy that.

I do, however, have several gaming figures--all of the Ral Partha Beastmasters animals, the QRF Triassic animals (except the dinosaurs...) a number of of other Acehson figures...there's actually quite a few. It's just a trick of finding them (many, like the Beastmasters, are discontinued...I think)

Justin_

Currently listed here on eBay is the master sculpt by Richard Deasey of a 28mm scale Therizinosaurus which never got produced. Yours for $800, however it looks as if the buyer would have the rights to mold and make casts of it.

Justin_

I've just found the MiniaturesCave dinosaurs on Etsy. Before I add them to the first post I wanted to know if anyone recognises any reference sources for these. They are fairly dated designs but look familiar. Are they based on larger figures or illustrations? Possibly JP/JW?

PumperKrickel

The Carnotaurs look heavily inspires by the Disney Dinosaurs pair. The Parasaurolophus are pretty much the Papo figure. Baryonyx and Spino are definitely Jurassic Park/World.

Justin_

Thanks. I worked out these were reminding me of some of Mark Crash McCreey's JP concept art which is often more wrinkley and boney than the final CGI models, but I don't think they're directly based on any of it.
I've also found exactly the same models, and different ones in the same style, from other Etsy sellers so I want to find where they all got the files they are printed from.
Does anyone have any clues?

MIXVS MINIMAX

As shown in the thread Figures in 1/72 (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1335.0)
There are 18 creatures avaiable by Mixvs Minimax (me):

Finished and unfinished Mixvs Minimax-models:
1st row: (from left) Velociraptor, Conchoraptor, Caudipteryx, Coelophysis, Mononykus, Protoceratops
2nd row: Dracorex, Deinonychus, Stygimoloch, Kelenken
3rd row: Pteranodon , Coelodonta, Placerias, Gallimimus
4th row: Quetzalcoatlus, Mammuthus, Therizinosaurus
5th row: Huayangosaurus, Giraffatitan (in progress)

Not yet on the group picture: Microraptor, Epidexipteryx.

A Psittacosaurus is in progress.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

paintingdinos

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 18, 2020, 02:16:27 PM
avatar_Justin_ @Justin_ are you familiar with this web site? https://stevepugh.net/VTT/dino/2528mm-dinosaurs-and-other-prehistoric-miniatures/

Oh, thank you! That's a very helpful site. Sad to see many of these companies aren't really around anymore, but plenty of new stuff (for me at least) to dig around in  >:D

Justin_

Quote from: Stolpergeist on September 24, 2020, 05:05:14 PM
Ohh finally a thread on these, there are some absolute gems out there.
For example the Alioramus by Slayer of Monster, far ahead of the old CollectA model:
https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/676354782

This is one of those figures that is available from lots of different sellers, so I'm trying to find their original source to credit them properly.

For example here it is sold by RealmShaper :
https://www.etsy.com/listing/803761628/alioramus-65mm-base-high-detail-resin?ref=shop_home_active_2&crt=1

..... are you familiar with this web site? https://stevepugh.net/VTT/dino/2528mm-dinosaurs-and-other-prehistoric-miniatures/

Yes. I used it a lot for the first post. I managed to find who the current retailers for some of them are, but as paintingdinos said, a lot aren't around anymore. Also I haven't done anything in the way of listing some of the fantasy and sci-fi dinosaur figures wearing armour and weapons etc. yet.

brontosauruschuck

Holy crap! I've never seen most of these and I want to buy all of them.

Justin_

I think all the Etsy listings are legitimate third-party sellers, and they might only be available this way, but it would be nice to know the original artist. From what I can tell they are resin castings, not 3D prints.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Justin_ on October 18, 2020, 05:03:28 PM

..... are you familiar with this web site? https://stevepugh.net/VTT/dino/2528mm-dinosaurs-and-other-prehistoric-miniatures/

Yes. I used it a lot for the first post. I managed to find who the current retailers for some of them are, but as paintingdinos said, a lot aren't around anymore. Also I haven't done anything in the way of listing some of the fantasy and sci-fi dinosaur figures wearing armour and weapons etc. yet.

Yeah, that makes sense. You're right that a lot of them don't seem to be in production anymore.

Crackington

This is a great thread and got me to check out Antediluvian Miniatures, so thanks for that avatar_Justin_ @Justin_  and everyone. avatar_UK @UK has also done a nice thread on them too, which I came across this morning: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8983.msg267606#msg267606

Aside from the Crystal Palace Dinosaurs and other retro beasties etc, they have recently produced a great little Mary Anning figure with dog Tray. This is beautifully detailed, with ammonite in hand and a good price, so I couldn't resist it, along with a few CP figures. I look forward to finding time to paint them:

Their website is here:

https://antediluvianminiatures.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/shop-lost-world-range/

Crackington

Hi S @Stolpergeist - I think it's very new, certainly the most recent of their prehistoric (related) figures.

I was very impressed with how quickly the figure was despatched too, it got to me (near London) from their Scottish Highlands base in 2 days!

The scale is 28mm, so pretty small - going to be a challenge to paint, especially Tray the dog!

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Ah, 28mm is the scale of the Lord of the Rings ones I paint, good to know they are that exhale as I have been dying those Crystal Palace for a while.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Justin_

I'd would love to see Antediluvian Miniatures make a sauropod in the style of the Crystal Palace figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: