News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

Quote from: ajax on February 05, 2013, 12:51:23 AM
Looking at the pic again, does anyone else think the Grypo's head looks too big?

I knew it wouldn't take long... why people can't just appreciate a nice figure without nitpicking!!! >:( :(

tanystropheus

The Diabloceratops is far more graceful in that photo  :)

ajax

Quote from: Ikessauro on February 05, 2013, 01:09:58 AM
Quote from: ajax on February 05, 2013, 12:51:23 AM
Looking at the pic again, does anyone else think the Grypo's head looks too big?

I knew it wouldn't take long... why people can't just appreciate a nice figure without nitpicking!!! >:( :(

This is a discussion forum, discussing figures. I already said how much I like the figure and was asking others opinions on the head, thats it. Go Jump.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Okay please knock it off you two. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Primeval12

Now I can finally get my hands on that Pteranodon baby!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ajax on February 05, 2013, 01:58:43 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2013, 01:52:49 AM
Okay please knock it off you two. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I said nothing wrong, Do I have to just let trolls like John say whatever he wants about my posts?

I understand, but let's drop it and not escalate things okay ? Only posts pertaining to the thread are permitted. You can feel free to PM him if you want with any comments. Same for John. Cool ?

deanosaurs

Hi everyone.  I don't post very often (actually this may only be my second or third time).  But I thought I'd share a couple of images of some of the new GeoWorld Jurassic Hunter Prehistoric Mammals which should be out this spring.  I have the images of the new 2013 dinosaurs on my website too (www.dejankins.com).  Enjoy!

Takama

Man,   I spend enough money on CollectAs obscuritys, and im haveing a hard time resisting the urge to collect Geoworlds

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hi Dean !

Looks like your first post..welcome to the forums ! ;D

There are a few pieces in the Geoworld series I might like..the Ornithomimus comes to mind almost instantly.

stoneage

I'd still like to see images of the other 7 figures.

Spino-rex13

[/quote]

I just messaged the only Australian supplier of Safari's, they will have them in March, I can't wait to get the Gryposaurus & the Diabloceratops which looks much better than its catalogue pic too.
[/quote]

What's the Australian supplier?

ZoPteryx

Quote from: ajax on February 04, 2013, 10:44:37 PM
Wow, the Gryposaurus is way bigger than I thought it would be, Thats so cool. Must be around 1/40, which is much better than their usually small figures.
I agree, a nice properly sized hadrosaur.  And I think head's the right size, just a little too wide maybe, but good overall. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Zopteryx on February 05, 2013, 04:59:36 AM
Wow, the Gryposaurus is way bigger than I thought it would be, Thats so cool. Must be around 1/40, which is much better than their usually small figures.
I agree, a nice properly sized hadrosaur.  And I think head's the right size, just a little too wide maybe, but good overall. :)

Looks pretty good based on the skeletal I found :

Bokisaurus

Quote from: deanosaurs on February 05, 2013, 02:32:58 AM
Hi everyone.  I don't post very often (actually this may only be my second or third time).  But I thought I'd share a couple of images of some of the new GeoWorld Jurassic Hunter Prehistoric Mammals which should be out this spring.  I have the images of the new 2013 dinosaurs on my website too (www.dejankins.com).  Enjoy!

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum! Glad that you are going to stock these items! Really looking forward to these new  figures, they are very interesting and something different. Looking forward to beefing up my prehistoric mammal collection :)

Bokisaurus

Just got these new Kaiyodo figures, I believe they are new for 2013?
T-rex and Yutyrannus

There are five figures in the set,  one skull and skeleton(both rexes), a unfeathered T-rex (one I have here), a feathered T-rex (cool one but I don't have it), and a Yutyrannus.

gfxtwin

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2013, 02:14:28 PM
Quote from: gfxtwin on February 04, 2013, 08:55:19 AM
I'm SO getting that little devil.  Papo are starting to realize their potential, IMO.  The only things I don't like about it are more like ppet peeves than anything.  Writing nitpicks about complaints about a steroid-shooting brachi, an Pachyrino with antlers, a T-rex with a broken jaw or any of the other absolutely odd goofs looks to soon be a thing of the past if Papo keeps progressing.  This guy looks to be right up there with the Carnegie Carno, IMO.

Only complaints:  Don't like the pose.  it looks like the beast is bellowing a mighty roar possibly to scare off another dino, but that's only when the mouth is open.  When closed it looks unintentionally funny.  Mating pose.  The teeth are also a slight disappointment in how brightly white they are and how they are sculpted together instead of individually like the other therapods.  Given the way carno's teeth are supposed to be small and close together, though, this is understandable.  What I don't get is why the company insists on using that shinier plastic for their current models.  It takes too much detail out of the sculpt and serves as a barrier to your imagination - it's hard to let the figure of the dino spark your imagination and take your mind back to the Jurassic when all you can think of is how much it looks like the thing is covered in glaze.  Compare these newer releases to the Papo Allo and Spinosaur and I challenge anyone to say the latter models don't seem more detailed and realistic.

I know I praised the figue and followed it with a paragraph of complaints that is three times longer, lol, but trust me - I think they are still getting much better.  God help the other dino toy companies once they iron out the remaining small blunders.

Hopefully the dimetrodon gets the good plastic because it would be a shame to see such a detailed sculpt (one that is already going to loose some of that detail when shrunk down) turn into a shiny mess like the oiled-up body builder brachi and greasy-looking ankylo.
You made some good points, however I'd like to point out one thing. My ankylo doesn't have that glossy varnish you're referring to. It is completely matte. Neither does my carno. I guess it could be something that varies from figure to figure :)

Also, I don't think the carno looks weird with its mouth closed. It could just be snarling or getting ready to fight a rival.

Oh, interesting!  Do you happen to have a picture of your ankylo handy?  Not that I don't believe you, just want to see what that would look like.  Every papo ankylo I've seen has more of less looked like this:

Ugh.  Some images on google admittedly look more matte, but it's hard to determine if the lighting helps achieve that look or if it's the figure itself. 

tanystropheus

What's wrong with the glaze? It makes the models look statuesque. Really, it's not too bad--My Papo Styraco has a bit of shine...it's not at all tacky, though.

I think we are currently living in an anti-3D, pro-matte, pro-HD world.  A few years from now, it will be back to pro-3D (auto-stereoscopic, perhaps) , pro-glaze and pro-4K.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 05, 2013, 07:01:10 AM
Just got these new Kaiyodo figures, I believe they are new for 2013?
T-rex and Yutyrannus

There are five figures in the set,  one skull and skeleton(both rexes), a unfeathered T-rex (one I have here), a feathered T-rex (cool one but I don't have it), and a Yutyrannus.

These really just make me want to see Kaiyodo release some bigger figures. Imagine if they did large vinyl versions of these..  ^-^

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2013, 06:44:35 AM

That skeleton has a big head! 8)

Props to the Wild Safari team for bringing us an obscure hadrosaur!

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 05, 2013, 08:12:32 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2013, 06:44:35 AM

That skeleton has a big head! 8)

Props to the Wild Safari team for bringing us an obscure hadrosaur!
Just google for images of the skeleton of Gryposaurus monumentensis and you'll find some front views.From them you'll get a good idea of how wide the head should be as seen if you were facing the skeleton (the head on the model looks right to me,but as usual it's so much easier to tell when you have it in hand than by just looking at photos)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: