News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

CollectA

Deinotherium- Very nice alternative interpretation of a favorite prehistoric mammal. Extraordinary head sculpt and demeanor. The body is a tad bit emaciated. The colors are somewhat more blotchy than the original prototype image, but still appears natural and respectable.

Diabloceratops- Unfortunately, the level of contrast permeating the figure has been reduced from the original prototype, and the eyes appear duller than the initial impression (this is similar to the CollectA Amargasaurus---the original Amargasaurus prototype featured more vivid eyes)

Diplodocus- Looks good, but the neck is too narrow and snake-like. However, this is not necessarily a problem--- It really depends on  how (with respect to angles) and where you decide to situate your figure in your personal showcase/display.

Daspletosaurus- If this is a juvenile, it looks appropriate. The patriotic (?) face paint is a bit over-the-top .... but it appears to be a CollectA signature of some sort.

Pachycephalosaurus- One of the better Pachy models in the market...

Parasaurolophus- With so many great Para models (Schleich, Papo), this model was not absolutely necessary...face paint is not particularly believable....the overall habitus seems appropriate for a hadrosaur...

tanystropheus

Quote from: Zopteryx on January 29, 2013, 02:07:24 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on January 29, 2013, 01:41:56 AM
However, why is Dimorphodon's tail disappearing (or buried, I suppose) at its underbelly? ???
I think it's because the tail goes above the flap of skin between the legs (it's not connected to it), so you can just see where it attaches to the body. :)

Okay, that seems reasonable. I've been waiting sooo long for a fully realized Dimorphodon figure! :) :))

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Takama on January 29, 2013, 10:17:35 PM
Real life pics of the new CollectA figures have surfaced

Notice how big there new Diplo is

Nice new CollectA figure pics! They look so much better than the promo pictures. Can't wait to get that diplo, looks really nice and well proportioned. ;) The diablo, to me,  looks and is more exciting than the Safari version ;D

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 30, 2013, 04:49:24 AM
Quote from: Zopteryx on January 29, 2013, 02:07:24 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on January 29, 2013, 01:41:56 AM
However, why is Dimorphodon's tail disappearing (or buried, I suppose) at its underbelly? ???
I think it's because the tail goes above the flap of skin between the legs (it's not connected to it), so you can just see where it attaches to the body. :)

Okay, that seems reasonable. I've been waiting sooo long for a fully realized Dimorphodon figure! :) :))
I know what you mean concerning Dimorphodon.Of all the pterosaurs they could have chosen,they happen to pick my childhood favorite,and do it very nicely!
It would seem that this year everybody wins,I get my Dimorphodon,and all the Papo fans get their Carnotaurus. ;D
It's nice to see my favorite (Safari Ltd.'s lines) and everyone else's favorite (Papo) still going strong.Competition keeps each other on their toes,each responding to the other (Papo's Carnotaurus is in response to the 2011 Carnegie one,Carnegie's 2009 Spinosaurus was a response to Papo's version,and this years' Carnegie Concavenator,of which I love what I see so far,just may be an indication of how well oddball species like that sell when they show up in that other line which is popular here,CollectA) ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

juju1305

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 30, 2013, 07:32:10 AM
Quote from: Takama on January 29, 2013, 10:17:35 PM
Real life pics of the new CollectA figures have surfaced

Nice new CollectA figure pics! They look so much better than the promo pictures. Can't wait to get that diplo, looks really nice and well proportioned. ;) The diablo, to me,  looks and is more exciting than the Safari version ;D

I also find the CollectA diablo more appealing than the Safari one (but I'll get them both anyway) though it is a tad below the 2012 CollectA ceratopsians in quality imo.

Horridus

A heads-up for fellow Brits: Everything Dinosaur now stock the Papo Carnotaurus (http://www.everythingdinosaur.com/).
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Horridus on January 30, 2013, 07:21:00 PM
A heads-up for fellow Brits: Everything Dinosaur now stock the Papo Carnotaurus (http://www.everythingdinosaur.com/).
Excellent- I grabbed one ^-^

Jetoar

Amazing stand friend, thanks for sharing, diply is very big
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Bokisaurus

Safari's new figures landed on my doorstep ;D

Gastornis - really nice figure, my only complain is that I wish they varied the sizes of it's feathers. They look so uniform, as a result it looks like leaves overlapping ;D

Elasmo - perhaps my favorite. Really well done, and for such a small head, the sculpting is amazing!

Concavenator - the biggest disappointment for me, its as bad in person as in photos! They really did a poor job on the paint application, just looks really sloppy!
[

Mirror image of it's larger cousin ::)

Here are the two Concavenator figures together

ZoPteryx

Great acquisitions Boki! :)

The Gastornis and Elasmo look awesome! :o

As for the Concavenator, it'll look okay once you repaint it, as I suspect you're going to. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Elasmosaurus does look good.

The Concavenator is about what I was expecting..no awards this year..but it will certainly look better with a repaint. ;)

Spino-rex13

Quote from: Bokisaurus on February 01, 2013, 09:22:42 PM
Safari's new figures landed on my doorstep ;D

Gastornis - really nice figure, my only complain is that I wish they varied the sizes of it's feathers. They look so uniform, as a result it looks like leaves overlapping ;D

Elasmo - perhaps my favorite. Really well done, and for such a small head, the sculpting is amazing!

Where did you get the Elasmosaurus?

Concavenator - the biggest disappointment for me, its as bad in person as in photos! They really did a poor job on the paint application, just looks really sloppy!
[

Mirror image of it's larger cousin ::)

Here are the two Concavenator figures together

Where did you get the Elasmosaurus? I want one.

postsaurischian

In Germany we have the Dimorphodon.
In the U.S. you have the Elasmosaurus - I want it >:( ;D!

Buuuhhh for the Concavenator (I mean, really: Shame on you Carnegie Collection! What is this?)!
This is the first Carnegie figure in a long time that I won't buy.

Dan

Here's a photo of the Carnegie Concavenator I used for the blog review.

From what I can tell, yours was not one of the better painted examples, Boki. You may wish to consider contacting whoever sold it to you, but if you're planning to paint over it, I'm sure it will look stunning anyway.

Jetoar

Thanks for sahre the image of giga and conca. Now i can compare the size of this figures  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tanystropheus

Is the Elasmo a bendy figure?

Hermes888

I'm actually happy with my Concavenator, the only problem for me is that the back could have been integrated better, as it looks a bit unnatural the way it is now. Other than that, I really like it. I also got the Dimorphodon figure, and I can tell you that it's better than the Concavenator. Usually the Carnegie Collection is the highest quality, I'm a bit confused as to why this isn't as good as the other figures in the series. 

ITewan

im a lil tired and a lil hungry

ChrisLikesDinos

Wow, the Carnotaurus is really, really small. It looks nice, but blah. =(

(pics from Neelis @ JPlegacy)

Takama

This Just shows that Papo was listening.

Carnotaurus was not a Giant, we said, so they gave us a small one.    Though i will admit, it should be a little bigger then the Raptor

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: