News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: Takama on November 03, 2012, 05:49:20 AM
I wonder if this is actaully what we will get.

Remember the Controversy with the Mapusaurus
That was one of the rare occasions for me when I thought that the final model was much better than the prototype pictures,though it seemed that everyone else wanted to flush theirs down the toilet! ;D I remember thinking when I had gotten it from England through the mail that if I had seen it on a shelf in a museum gift shop,I would not have recognised it as the CollectA one. :D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

Okay, I going to be a heretic here and say I actually like CollectA's Diabloceratops much more than Safari's. The details look more defined on the CollectA. The safari's proportions are very "child-friendly" and chunky *yuck* The feet are too big.
The Safari looks like someone carved it out of playdough. Compare the two of them, and you'll see which one is more life-like. I guess I always go for "life-like" over "scientifically accurate"

My only disappointment with the CollectA is the recycled colour scheme, but that can quite easily be solved.

If I saw both of them for sale at a toy shop, I'd pick the CollectA.

I know this is going to upset some people, but that's my opinion 8)

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 03, 2012, 07:33:08 AM
Okay, I going to be a heretic here and say I actually like CollectA's Diabloceratops much more than Safari's. The details look more defined on the CollectA. The safari's proportions are very "child-friendly" and chunky *yuck* The feet are too big.
The Safari looks like someone carved it out of playdough. Compare the two of them, and you'll see which one is more life-like. I guess I always go for "life-like" over "scientifically accurate"

My only disappointment with the CollectA is the recycled colour scheme, but that can quite easily be solved.

Don't worry,you won't upset us.After all,you are entitled to your wrong opinions. 8)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: John on November 03, 2012, 09:12:13 AM

Don't worry,you won't upset us.After all,you are entitled to your wrong opinions. 8)
My opinion is wrong? Who are you to say that? >:(

*sarcasm* Sorry for not being a Safari fangirl then ::)

Jetoar

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on November 03, 2012, 04:00:18 AM
Quote from: Seijun on November 02, 2012, 11:08:30 PM
The pose on the Diablo reminds me of a dog play-bowing.

:))

Hahahahahaha!! :))

I think the same  ;D jajajajajaja
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Arrancon

I like the Deinothere, but I have the Bullyland one, so its a maybe.
Safari's Diablo is much better, IMO. This one looks too much like their Triceratopses' with that paint scheme.

Gryphoceratops

Thats fine.  I'd be interested to see what happens when they are both released and we can see them up close and in person though.  I have a feeling the safari may pleasantly surprise you. 

Balaur

I just looked at the pics now. I've been on a hiatus since Primeval New World aired, (which by the was AWESOME!) Anyways, the Deinotherium looks great! Pose is strange, but it's awesome! The Diabloceratops is awesome too! But the legs look thin, and small, and bit too splayed out. I like the quils though! I can't wait to get the Safari Diabloceratops and CollectA!  :) ;D

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 03, 2012, 09:19:11 AM

Who am I to say that? I'm someone who will state whatever I want,that's who I am.
You never simply state that you prefer one brand over the other,you often post negative opinions with the intent to annoy,like "I know this is going to upset some people..." and when the occasions when someone dared to defend,you just called them "Safari Ltd. fanboys".So long as you do that here,I can promise that you will get attitude back.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: John on November 03, 2012, 06:22:42 PM

Who am I to say that? I'm someone who will state whatever I want,that's who I am.
You never simply state that you prefer one brand over the other,you often post negative opinions with the intent to annoy,like "I know this is going to upset some people..." and when the occasions when someone dared to defend,you just called them "Safari Ltd. fanboys".So long as you do that here,I can promise that you will get attitude back.
When have I ever called someone a "Safari Fanboy"? Please show me where I did that, because otherwise, you're lying. I said "I know this is going to upset people" because Safari is a popular brand here, and so many people liked the Diabloceratops.
And "intent to annoy"? How do you know what my intent is? My intent is to have a discussion, that is what this forum is for. 
Don't like my opinion? Boo hoo, cry me a river >:D

Seijun

At the severe risk of going severely off topic, I have posted many times in opposition of popular DTF opinions, not to deliberately upset anyone, but just because it was my opinion, and that makes up about 90% of this forum's content I would guess (opinions). Not that anyone SHOULD be upset by a differing opinion about a toy...

On a slightly different note, I have secretly considered myself the queen of "negative" opinions (opinions being critical of toys most other members like), so I am a little annoyed at tyrantqueen for apparently taking my place ;D (annoyed in a joking sense--speaking of which, when I read johns original comment of "you are entitled to your wrong opinions" I interpreted it as being joking and lighthearted).

Back ON topic, I think both diablos are ugly, so there  :P (albeit, I think the safari diablo is less ugly than collectas)
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Gwangi

I dunno, the CollectA isn't bad, I just don't get why they had to use that same paint scheme. The same paint job for the same species makes sense but why would they produce two species separated by millions of years with that same paint job. So now they have three ceratopsians with that coat of paint. I don't own any of them but if I did my ceratopsian shelf might look a bit strange I would think.
Also, and I suppose this is where I might be a heretic, I don't like the quills. I don't think the evidence for quills on large ceratopsians is good. We only have one individual of one distantly related species that preserves these quills (Psittacosaurus of course). I've heard about the supposed evidence for quills on Triceratops but I don't buy it, has a paper even been published on that or is it simply speculation? Anyway, I see more reason to produce a feathered Tyrannosaurus than a quilled Triceratops and CollectA has yet to do that.
The big thing that bothers be about the Safari model is the front legs, I wish they would have splayed them out more or something. Aside from that I see no serious problem with it and it looks quite detailed with the various sized scales and scutes, realistic paintjob etc. The CollectA model to me looks like what it is, a toy. That look on its face with that giant eye reminds me of the toys produced by Tyco, the Protoceratops in particular.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Seijun on November 03, 2012, 08:29:18 PM
At the severe risk of going severely off topic, I have posted many times in opposition of popular DTF opinions, not to deliberately upset anyone, but just because it was my opinion, and that makes up about 90% of this forum's content I would guess (opinions). Not that anyone SHOULD be upset by a differing opinion about a toy...

On a slightly different note, I have secretly considered myself the queen of "negative" opinions (opinions being critical of toys most other members like), so I am a little annoyed at tyrantqueen for apparently taking my place ;D (annoyed in a joking sense--speaking of which, when I read johns original comment of "you are entitled to your wrong opinions" I interpreted it as being joking and lighthearted).
I agree.

I guess I should have known that intelligent discussion and differing opinions are frowned upon here...

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 03, 2012, 08:08:50 PM

When have I ever called someone a "Safari Fanboy"? Please show me where I did that, because otherwise, you're lying. I said "I know this is going to upset people" because Safari is a popular brand here, and so many people liked the Diabloceratops.
And "intent to annoy"? How do you know what my intent is? My intent is to have a discussion, that is what this forum is for. 
Let me apologize to you here,I don't mean to antagonize.

John

Quote from: Seijun on November 03, 2012, 08:29:18 PM

Back ON topic, I think both diablos are ugly, so there  :P (albeit, I think the safari diablo is less ugly than collectas)
The real Diabloceratops was probably uglier than both!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: John on November 03, 2012, 08:51:52 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 03, 2012, 08:08:50 PM

Let me apologize to you here,I don't mean to antagonize.
I accept your apology. Let's put it behind us.

John

Quote from: Gwangi on November 03, 2012, 08:29:39 PM
I dunno, the CollectA isn't bad, I just don't get why they had to use that same paint scheme. The same paint job for the same species makes sense but why would they produce two species separated by millions of years with that same paint job. So now they have three ceratopsians with that coat of paint. I don't own any of them but if I did my ceratopsian shelf might look a bit strange I would think.
Take a look at the 2010 Wild Safari Brachiosaurus and compare it's color to the 2013 Wild Safari Elasmosaurus. ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: John on November 03, 2012, 09:26:50 PM
Take a look at the 2010 Wild Safari Brachiosaurus and compare it's color to the 2013 Wild Safari Elasmosaurus. ;D

Yeah I know, I don't like that either but painting three of your ceratopsians the same color scheme seems more obvious an intentional rather than just a coincidence. I hate that color on the 2010 Brachiosaurus, probably why I don't own one yet despite the beautiful sculpt. 

John

Quote from: Gwangi on November 03, 2012, 10:26:54 PM

Yeah I know, I don't like that either but painting three of your ceratopsians the same color scheme seems more obvious an intentional rather than just a coincidence. I hate that color on the 2010 Brachiosaurus, probably why I don't own one yet despite the beautiful sculpt.
I would like to see the Carnegie dinosaurs painted like the Papo ones.That would be very interesting to me. :)

Gwangi

Quote from: John on November 03, 2012, 10:37:52 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 03, 2012, 10:26:54 PM

I would like to see the Carnegie dinosaurs painted like the Papo ones.That would be very interesting to me. :)

I agree, sort of. Papo mostly paints their figures in various shades of gray but they do look realistic. Honestly I wish they would all just paint them to look more like the various resin models and sculptures out there but they are toys and I suppose that is asking a lot.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: