News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: Gwangi on November 03, 2012, 10:41:04 PM
Quote from: John on November 03, 2012, 10:37:52 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 03, 2012, 10:26:54 PM
Quote from: John on November 03, 2012, 09:26:50 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 03, 2012, 08:29:39 PM
I dunno, the CollectA isn't bad, I just don't get why they had to use that same paint scheme. The same paint job for the same species makes sense but why would they produce two species separated by millions of years with that same paint job. So now they have three ceratopsians with that coat of paint. I don't own any of them but if I did my ceratopsian shelf might look a bit strange I would think.
Take a look at the 2010 Wild Safari Brachiosaurus and compare it's color to the 2013 Wild Safari Elasmosaurus. ;D

Yeah I know, I don't like that either but painting three of your ceratopsians the same color scheme seems more obvious an intentional rather than just a coincidence. I hate that color on the 2010 Brachiosaurus, probably why I don't own one yet despite the beautiful sculpt.
I would like to see the Carnegie dinosaurs painted like the Papo ones.That would be very interesting to me. :)

I agree, sort of. Papo mostly paints their figures in various shades of gray but they do look realistic. Honestly I wish they would all just paint them to look more like the various resin models and sculptures out there but they are toys and I suppose that is asking a lot.
Now we all need to say excitedly "They aren't TOYS they are COLLECTIBLES!!!!!...." while not fooling anyone! ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just a quick reminder here..as TQ mentioned. We have many artists here on the forum that fix ANY paint scheme for you and quite reasonably as well.  So paint while discussed,  should never be a reason to not purchase if you like the sculpt anyway .  :)

sauroid

if CollectA would listen, i think it would be worth a try for everyone to write them and request a different paint scheme for the 2013 Diabloceratops.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Himmapaan

Quote from: Seijun on November 03, 2012, 08:29:18 PM
At the severe risk of going severely off topic, I have posted many times in opposition of popular DTF opinions, not to deliberately upset anyone, but just because it was my opinion, and that makes up about 90% of this forum's content I would guess (opinions). Not that anyone SHOULD be upset by a differing opinion about a toy...

On a slightly different note, I have secretly considered myself the queen of "negative" opinions (opinions being critical of toys most other members like), so I am a little annoyed at tyrantqueen for apparently taking my place ;D (annoyed in a joking sense--speaking of which, when I read johns original comment of "you are entitled to your wrong opinions" I interpreted it as being joking and lighthearted).

Back ON topic, I think both diablos are ugly, so there  :P (albeit, I think the safari diablo is less ugly than collectas)

I can safely say that it you never struck me as being the 'queen of negative opinions' at all. Nor do most others find you so, I'm sure. As you say, opinions probably do form 90% of the content here, and we all give them freely. I think few people ever really get upset about them. Until the jokes start getting misinterpreted and things get personal, at least.  :P :))

The majority of us here don't frown upon intelligent discussion and differing opinions. The key lies in the manner of both giving and receiving. ;)

And the two new CollectAs? I'm not sufficiently inspired by them to form an opinion in either direction.  Haha! :)) :))

Brontozaurus

Quote from: sauroid on November 04, 2012, 10:40:45 AM
if CollectA would listen, i think it would be worth a try for everyone to write them and request a different paint scheme for the 2013 Diabloceratops.

Much as CollectA have taken criticism and used it to improve their models, spamming them with requests to paint the Diabloceratops differently is not going to accomplish anything. It's an exceedingly minor issue at best, and as such you won't get much attention.

Plus, as was said a few posts ago, you can always paint it yourself, or get someone else to do it.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

CM

Quote from: Brontozaurus on November 04, 2012, 01:09:21 PM

Much as CollectA have taken criticism and used it to improve their models, spamming them with requests to paint the Diabloceratops differently is not going to accomplish anything. It's an exceedingly minor issue at best, and as such you won't get much attention.

Plus, as was said a few posts ago, you can always paint it yourself, or get someone else to do it.

Not that I am particularly up-in-arms over the CollectA paint (I'm actually not planning to buy their version, for whatever it's worth), but not everyone's an artist, and not everyone can afford to buy a product and then pay even more for it to have someone else "fix" it.  As an argument for brushing off people's criticisms, I just wanted to say I've been a bit put off by this tactic.  But only a bit, because, like I said, it's not a big issue for me in the first place.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CM on November 04, 2012, 02:42:12 PM

Not that I am particularly up-in-arms over the CollectA paint (I'm actually not planning to buy their version, for whatever it's worth), but not everyone's an artist, and not everyone can afford to buy a product and then pay even more for it to have someone else "fix" it.  As an argument for brushing off people's criticisms, I just wanted to say I've been a bit put off by this tactic.  But only a bit, because, like I said, it's not a big issue for me in the first place.

How much it's worth to you  to purchase and then get repainted is certainly a  factor .  I don't think I'm over stepping my bounds when I say I'm certain one of our artists can help you and anyone else for a more than fair price.  If a sculpt is great and the paint job just doesn't suit you then I think it's the right way to go. Saying " if you don't like the paint, it is fixable "  or not an issue is a helpful suggestion not a brush off.  :)

postsaurischian

So far the Carnegie Concavenator and Papo Wooly Rhino are the only 2013 sculpts that convince me.
I'm a bit disappointed by the WS Dimorphodon's unimaginative pose, it's one of my favorite flying reptiles. But the disappointment is not as big as it was with their Guanlong. Sometimes they just miss the goal. But that's not really a problem. As weird as it sounds, sometimes I'm happy with every new figure I do not have to buy ;D.

I don't like both Diabloceratops figures too much. This year's Paleomaster model is clearly the best ;).

The 2012 Favorite models should be removed from the first page of this thread!

John

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 04, 2012, 07:13:40 PM
So far the Carnegie Concavenator and Papo Wooly Rhino are the only 2013 sculpts that convince me.
I'm a bit disappointed by the WS Dimorphodon's unimaginative pose, it's one of my favorite flying reptiles. But the disappointment is not as big as it was with their Guanlong. Sometimes they just miss the goal. But that's not really a problem. As weird as it sounds, sometimes I'm happy with every new figure I do not have to buy ;D.

I don't like both Diabloceratops figures too much. This year's Paleomaster model is clearly the best ;).

It's too bad that the Paleomaster Diabloceratops seems to only be available in Italy...maybe one will turn up on Ebay sometime.
I'll second the notion of the Carnegie Museum Concavenator and Papo Wolly Rhino,but add in the Wild Safari Dimorphodon to that list of absolute best so far for 2013. ;D
If the worst thing about a model is an unimaginitive pose,then that's good!
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: John on November 04, 2012, 07:34:09 PM

It's too bad that the Paleomaster Diabloceratops seems to only be available in Italy...maybe one will turn up on Ebay sometime.
I'll second the notion of the Carnegie Museum Concavenator and Papo Wolly Rhino,but add in the Wild Safari Dimorphodon to that list of absolute best so far for 2013. ;D

Send a mail to [email protected] maybe something can be done

John

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on November 04, 2012, 07:53:58 PM
Quote from: John on November 04, 2012, 07:34:09 PM

Send a mail to [email protected] maybe something can be done
This is very much appreciated,thank you!

JohannesB

Quote from: Seijun on November 02, 2012, 06:37:36 PM
Hrm. The Deinother looks really, really odd. The neck and body both look too long, or something. Actually, the shape reminds me of a stuffed animal :/

I have to second that. It seems to be a hit and miss affair with Collecta's models, with all too many misses. (Sorry, maybe I am being too harsh here.) Sometimes their animals look distorted and clunky. This Deinotherium looks like one of the misses. A shame, because it could (should!) have been so beautiful, considering the attention that has been given to fine detail. But of course, this is just my viewpoint and I am frustrated (over a toy?!). And I do like some of the Collecta models. I am curious: does Collecta also use a 'house sculptor'? (Is there a thread about sculptors and sculpts/styles of the different companies?) If only they would reconsider restyling this model a bit, and certainly the neck.

alexeratops

Eh, I don't care. I'l just get em' all, because when your my age, you just get them. :))
like a bantha!

Himmapaan

As weird as it sounds, sometimes I'm happy with every new figure I do not have to buy ;D.

Oh, I understand that very well.  :))

SBell

Quote from: alexeratops on November 04, 2012, 11:11:23 PM
Eh, I don't care. I'l just get em' all, because when your my age, you just get them. :))

Why do you like to remind us 'of your age'? My son is the same age (give or take some months) and has not once used a phrase like that--nor does he participate in online forums, come to think of it...nor do any of his friends of the same age for that matter...

Takama

Dont discourage him for staying on here.   

every kid is diffrent.

SBell

Quote from: Takama on November 05, 2012, 12:16:24 AM
Dont discourage him for staying on here.   

every kid is diffrent.

Perhaps--but why remind people of it? In an innocuous type of post, at least.

copper

i couldn't pass this conversation there was few comments ago without commenting;  if a figure you desire has nice sculpt but obnoxious paint and you don't want to paint it yourself, we have martin garratt and shane foulkes and i myself and probably few more too, who do commissions on paint jobs.

Ikessauro

Quote from: copper on November 05, 2012, 12:45:10 AM

i couldn't pass this conversation there was few comments ago without commenting;  if a figure you desire has nice sculpt but obnoxious paint and you don't want to paint it yourself, we have martin garratt and shane foulkes and i myself and probably few more too, who do commissions on paint jobs.

Yeah, but not everyone is willing to spend twice the price of a model to make it acceptable; I myself live in Brazil and if I have to buy a model, resend it to someone in USA or Europe to repaint, and pay the painting work plus shipping back to me, hell, I'd buy only a model per month.

copper

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 05, 2012, 01:47:09 AM
Quote from: copper on November 05, 2012, 12:45:10 AM

Yeah, but not everyone is willing to spend twice the price of a model to make it acceptable; I myself live in Brazil and if I have to buy a model, resend it to someone in USA or Europe to repaint, and pay the painting work plus shipping back to me, hell, I'd buy only a model per month.

i didn't mean to sound rude in my last reply, if i did, i apologize.
i understand that everyone can't afford to get them repainted. for example i can do trades too (trade figures for repaints, in these cases i pay the shipping cost when sending the repaints back to the customer and customer only pays shipping the items to me).
other than that, i can't think any other ways, unless one can paint the figures themselves.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: