News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Dan on September 27, 2012, 04:38:24 PM
Front page updated. I've also updated my site with dimensions and approximate scales. Please feel free to contact me if any of them seem questionable; these are my own calculations, and some, like Diabloceratops, are estimated from scant remains.

Safari made the images public today by posting the complete 2013 Preview Catalog here for all to enjoy:

http://www.safariltd.com/pdfs/2013/SAFARI_LTD_PREVIEW_2013.pdf

It appears Safari is making the Toobs spookier than ever before. Cambrian Toob, Halloween Toob, and perhaps most disturbing of all,  the "People in Motion" Toob.

Thanks for sharing the preview catalogue Dan.

Allosaurus89

That sunfish looks awfully familiar  ;D

Himmapaan

Squeeee, Gryposaurus! That is all.  ;D

I enjoyed your little verse, Stemturtle.  :))

SBell

I just got the go ahead, but never mind, there it is!

I have also asked about the cave toob--it's still being decided upon (so maybe!?).

One thing's for sure--Safari is a big fan of the Glow in the Dark this year.

SBell

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on September 26, 2012, 10:07:55 PM
Before the kaprosuchus was made who was it that made that painfully obvious but clever statement with all those puns in it that basically told us safari was making a kapro without actually going out and saying it?  It was on the forums I remember it because i found it funny.

That was me (it was made at my suggestion, no less).  I tried with the Carnegie thing, but the 'nothing more' got misread as me emphasizing it.

Arrancon

I'm not going to say I'm dissapointed, but I am underwhelmed. The best one is either the Diabloceratops or Gryposaurus. The Gastornis and Dimorphodon are preety good, the Elasmosaurus is a maybe, and the Cambrian tube should be in different colors (but the Anamolacaris makes up for that). I would have rather had the Pterosaur tube, but there's always next year ^-^.

EDIT: Should the front page be updated with that Dino Minis bag? It technically is a new release.

Horridus

Looks like a pleasant enough bunch. I particularly like the look of the Gastornis, but then, you know....feathered theropods...
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Seijun

I like the Grypo best, but AGAIN with the sharply turned head, "terrified prey" look? I am glad they made it and it is still very beautiful, I would rather have a scared hadrosaur toy than no hadrosaur toy at all! I just hope if they do any more hadrosaurs in the future, they will give them a more dignified pose.
The Gastor is cool. Very nice to have a terror bird in the lineup, finally.
The Diablo has a good head, but as with the vagaceratops, the body just doesn't look quite right for a ceratopsian.
A cool toob of course, glad to see that one finally released.
Everything else I am "meh" on.

Overall it's a great lineup, wonderful diversity (even if there are no mammals) so congrats to Safari!  :)
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Seijun on September 24, 2012, 07:43:22 PM
Quote from: Takama on September 24, 2012, 01:36:03 PM
another website has been posting images of what is believed to be a brand new Mammoth Calf from Bullyland

I doint know if its really new or not

The figure was being sold as used, and bullyland had no computer records of ever making this figure (and no humans there could remember it), so it is definitely not a new/unreleased bullyland figure, and looks very unlikely to have been made by bullyland at all.  :(

EDIT: The model does say "bully" on the bottom as well as "(C) SMNS". However, I am still skeptical that it is from bullyland considering no one there has ever seen it before. Anyone know what SMNS might stand for?
Salesman model, not for sale?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Seijun on September 27, 2012, 07:54:32 PM
I like the Grypo best, but AGAIN with the sharply turned head, "terrified prey" look? I am glad they made it and it is still very beautiful, I would rather have a scared hadrosaur toy than no hadrosaur toy at all! I just hope if they do any more hadrosaurs in the future, they will give them a more dignified pose.......................

Does that make him a Gripe-o-saurus?   :))
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Roselaar

Looks good! But not as good as I had hoped. The Carnegie Collection's anniversary is "celebrated" with just a single new sculpt...? The new Safarisaurs look like a fine and diverse bunch. The toob is good, but again, I had hoped for more.

Gryposaurus... is that a first-timer by any chance? :)

Himmapaan

Quote from: Roselaar on September 27, 2012, 08:15:02 PM
Perhaps by a major company, but not the first model/figure. Angie Rodrigues made one for Shapeways. :)

Roselaar

Quote from: Himmapaan on September 27, 2012, 08:17:45 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on September 27, 2012, 08:15:02 PM
Perhaps by a major company, but not the first model/figure. Angie Rodrigues made one for Shapeways. :)

So no material for the Unique Species thread then. Had to get rid of Ottoia and Charniodiscus now.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 27, 2012, 01:44:05 PM

Since the new Safari figures have been revealed by Urzeitshop, I can say that, as with the WS Liopleurodon before, I worked with the sculptor of the Elasmosaurus to make sure it is as accurate as possible. Which it is. I'm very excited about it!

I wished to comment on this, Adam. I have a small, albeit special collection of the various water monsters from the age of dinosaurs that I began as somewhat a fluke, in that I have them signed by consultant for the figure....ie. my Carnegie tylosaurus is signed by Michael Everheart, etc. If I were to acquire these two you mentioned as working with, and sent them to you, would you consider signing them for me? I know that might sound odd, but it is my unique twist on collecting the waterbound reptiles, thanks

Takama

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 27, 2012, 02:35:19 PM
Sbell, there is evidence for a tail fin in some plesiosaurs and I think it is quite likely all plesiosaurs had one, but there is no direct evidence for elasmosaurids, so I didn't suggest it on this occasion. I did push for a tail fin for the Lio but Safari didn't want it, so I doubt they would have gone for it this time around either. I also suggested some parasites for both figures, but Safari weren't up for that. The colour scheme was decided upon by the sculptor and Safari.

curios, did they say why they did not want it? 

stemturtle

Quote from: Roselaar on September 27, 2012, 08:20:51 PM
So no material for the Unique Species thread then. Had to get rid of Ottoia and Charniodiscus now.

We should be able to add Naraoia, Sanctacaris, Sidneyia, and Vauxia when the Cambrian Era toob comes out.  We shall see if anyone can ID the new tailed trilobite.  BTW, the Cambrian was a period in the Paleozoic Era.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 27, 2012, 08:08:39 PM
Quote from: Seijun on September 24, 2012, 07:43:22 PM
Quote from: Takama on September 24, 2012, 01:36:03 PM
another website has been posting images of what is believed to be a brand new Mammoth Calf from Bullyland

I doint know if its really new or not

The figure was being sold as used, and bullyland had no computer records of ever making this figure (and no humans there could remember it), so it is definitely not a new/unreleased bullyland figure, and looks very unlikely to have been made by bullyland at all.  :(

EDIT: The model does say "bully" on the bottom as well as "(C) SMNS". However, I am still skeptical that it is from bullyland considering no one there has ever seen it before. Anyone know what SMNS might stand for?
Salesman model, not for sale?

There may be a museum with those initials. Specifically the State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart goes by those initials.

Gwangi

I'm really excited about the Cambrian toob, I'll be getting that one. I' m really behind on the toobs though, I still need the crocodiles, sharks and marine reptiles.  Of course I'll need that Concavanator too as we've already discussed.
I'm not particularly excited about the Dimorphodon or Elasmosaurus but I'll eventually get both. The Dimorphodon just does not appear to be of the same quality as the Tapejara and Rhamphorhynchus but I could be wrong, they always look different in person. I am however very excited about those three dinosaurs.  The Gryposaurus looks fantastic and will be a nice addition to my small hadrosaur collection.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 27, 2012, 08:29:27 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 27, 2012, 01:44:05 PM

Since the new Safari figures have been revealed by Urzeitshop, I can say that, as with the WS Liopleurodon before, I worked with the sculptor of the Elasmosaurus to make sure it is as accurate as possible. Which it is. I'm very excited about it!

I wished to comment on this, Adam. I have a small, albeit special collection of the various water monsters from the age of dinosaurs that I began as somewhat a fluke, in that I have them signed by consultant for the figure....ie. my Carnegie tylosaurus is signed by Michael Everheart, etc. If I were to acquire these two you mentioned as working with, and sent them to you, would you consider signing them for me? I know that might sound odd, but it is my unique twist on collecting the waterbound reptiles, thanks

I'd be happy to, drop me a PM. Of course, the sculptors themselves are the real creative input and they are ultimately responsible for the overall design and feel of the figures - I wouldn't want to take any credit from them :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on September 27, 2012, 08:31:33 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 27, 2012, 02:35:19 PM
Sbell, there is evidence for a tail fin in some plesiosaurs and I think it is quite likely all plesiosaurs had one, but there is no direct evidence for elasmosaurids, so I didn't suggest it on this occasion. I did push for a tail fin for the Lio but Safari didn't want it, so I doubt they would have gone for it this time around either. I also suggested some parasites for both figures, but Safari weren't up for that. The colour scheme was decided upon by the sculptor and Safari.

curios, did they say why they did not want it?

I think it was because the WWD Liopleurodon doesn't have one.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: